Maslenitsa

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
Entertainers in traditional costumes among revelers at a Moscow festival celebrating the start of Meslenitsa week in Russia: Maslenitsa - Wikipedia

There will be much eating of the blini pankakes

And it will culminate, on last day of Maslenitsa week, with the burning of this effigy which traditionally symbolizes, in various interpretations, the end of winter, the expelling of evil spirits, etc

Some communities get extreme with that, over there, with the Maslenitsa bonfires; in Kaluga region last year, they actually burned essentially a replica of a Gothic Catholic church!
I know there is still some animosity towards Catholics over there, in certain factions of the Orthodox establishment; you can't just erase centuries of wars with Catholic Polish and others... But, still... lol

Jan 2016
Colorado
Your posts are always so fascinating, The Man. You should really be given an honorary degree in Anthropology, just for your deep knowledge of the customs and folk traditions of all the various peoples of the Caucasus region and eastern Europe.

I'm quite serious when I say that.

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
Your posts are always so fascinating, The Man. You should really be given an honorary degree in Anthropology, just for your deep knowledge of the customs and folk traditions of all the various peoples of the Caucasus region and eastern Europe.

I'm quite serious when I say that.
Thanks lol

I do my best :)