Maybe I'm the New Conservative Maverick, But I Agree with Ocasio-Cortez

Jun 2018
Florida
I suppose my conservative pals in Political Hotwire might distance themselves from me on this, but I going to be honest about it, as I am about everything I post about. While I disagree with Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on mostly everything, I am finding myself in agreement with her (at least partially) on her suggestion for taxing the richest Americans at 70%. I would go even further and say they could be taxed at 90%, as they were during the Republican administration of Dwight D. Eisenhower.

I think that some people in America are just taking too much money for what they do, and the money they waste on luxuries, could be better spent on such things as the Mexican border wall, higher pay for border patrol agents and ICE, and hiring more of them, armed guards in schools, help for ailing babies, and even higher payments for Social Security and va pensions, etc.

I would not mess with the lowered corporate tax, as I think that reform is partially to be credited for the great economy we've been having over the past 2 years. I would only raise the individual tax, on such very rich multimillionaires as movie stars, professional atheletes, and rock stars, all of whom I consider to be grossly overpaid.

It actually sickens me to see award winners Meryl Streep, Julia Louis-Dreyfuss, and Robert DeNiro raking in the millions, while not paying much tax, and at the same time, trash-talking President Trump. Same thing goes for national anthem kneeler Colin Kapernick, and his absurd crew.

Jun 2018
Florida
The problem is it will not achieve what they say it will.

But most importantly it will never be enough taxes to fund "their" government programs. They will also be asking for more.
Yes they will, especialy if they keep yanking poor people into the country, whom they can suck up to for VOTES. But at least it would make the bitchers pay (Kapernick, Le Bron James, Curry, Streep, DeNiro, etc)

Sep 2014
South FL
"richest Americans at 70%. I would go even further and say they could be taxed at 90%, as they were during the Republican administration of Dwight D. Eisenhower."

Paying for an hot war in Korea, WW2 pay down and still they had recessions in 1949, 1953, 1958 and 1960. Those 'halcyon' days. Creating obstacles to produce has obvious consequences.

StanStill

Former Staff
Dec 2013
Work
I would not mess with the lowered corporate tax, as I think that reform is partially to be credited for the great economy we've been having over the past 2 years. I would only raise the individual tax, on such very rich multimillionaires as movie stars, professional atheletes, and rock stars, all of whom I consider to be grossly overpaid.

It actually sickens me to see award winners Meryl Streep, Julia Louis-Dreyfuss, and Robert DeNiro raking in the millions, while not paying much tax, and at the same time, trash-talking President Trump. Same thing goes for national anthem kneeler Colin Kapernick, and his absurd crew.
So really, you're just mad at rich people who don't march on command and sing the praises of our Dear Leader and perfect system.

I'm sure you've even carved out an exception for Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Nov 2018
Bel Air, MD
Below is an article from the Obama era. Taxing the rich doesn't work.

"Raising tax rates on the rich hurts the economy. It takes money right out from under small and medium-sized business owners, leaving them with less for hiring more workers."

Also, if the rich are taxed at a very high rate, they will leave the U.S. and go more tax friendly nations. When France tried to raise taxes on the wealthy, they move out of France.

Sorry, Mr. Obama: Here's why raising taxes on the rich won't work

Rasselas

Former Staff
Feb 2010
valid location
Below is an article from the Obama era. Taxing the rich doesn't work.

"Raising tax rates on the rich hurts the economy. It takes money right out from under small and medium-sized business owners, leaving them with less for hiring more workers."

Also, if the rich are taxed at a very high rate, they will leave the U.S. and go more tax friendly nations. When France tried to raise taxes on the wealthy, they move out of France.

Sorry, Mr. Obama: Here's why raising taxes on the rich won't work
I guess that's why the Clinton tax hike ruined the economy of the 1990s.

Nov 2018
Bel Air, MD
I guess that's why the Clinton tax hike ruined the economy of the 1990s.
The left lie and they keep up the lies until more and more believe them. I am not saying you are lying, but you have bought into it.

If you are interested in the truth, then go to the link below.

"While this myth is now a central part of liberal Democratic folklore, it is contradicted by the political disaster and poor economic results that followed the tax increase. The real lesson of the Clinton Presidency is the way back to prosperity lies not through increased taxes on “the rich,” but through tax and regulatory reform and a return to a rules based monetary policy that produces a strong and stable dollar."

The Dangerous Myth About The Bill Clinton Tax Increase