Maybe I'm the New Conservative Maverick, But I Agree with Ocasio-Cortez

Babba

Former Staff
Jul 2007
So. Md.
No, we don't need higher federal revenue. We need to dramatically cut spending and cut taxes further.

Sweden isn't fine actually. Sweden isn't wealthy by US standards AT ALL. If Sweden and Germany became US states, they would not rank favorable AT ALL. Of course the relevant comparison is really between the EU and the US as a whole and of course, as a whole, the EU, TODAY is stuck in what we would call a permanent recession. The unemployment rate in the eurozone was 8.1% in Oct 2018. This is the LOWEST its been since November 2008.
There are experts who would disagree with you.

1. Sweden — In line with its Scandinavian neighbours, Sweden has a generous universal welfare state. That means income taxes are pretty high across the country. Sweden was one of the first nations to experiment with negative interest rates, aimed at boosting stagnant inflation in the country. It seems to have worked, with Sweden claiming the top spot from New Zealand this year.

9. Germany — The powerhouse behind much of Europe's newly booming economy, Germany's GDP is behind only the USA, China, and Japan in nominal terms. It is also the world's third biggest exporter sending more than $1 trillion worth of goods overseas every year.

The world’s 13 most efficient, open, and competitive economies

Sep 2014
South FL
No one is attempting to make poor people 'rich,' just not so poor that they need government assistance (meaning middle class tax revenue in the form of food stamps and other programs). There is a not too thinly veiled attempt to make rich people MORE rich on the backs of the poor. This is extremely bad for the middle class who must bail out the poor.
Well, what percentage of our income should be spent to mitigate poverty?

I mean, the poverty rate is 15-20% of the population +/- so if we had absolute perfect income equality, 15-20% of the population would have 15-20% of the income. Nobody has a problem giving 20% actually and it really should be less than that, we're not discussing such rates though.

We're talking about 70% and its not to mitigate poverty. AOC despite being unable to make a plan for her own life aside from figuring out how to get elected, wants to command trillions of dollars into her investment visions. We don't entrust Warren Buffet with that kind of money.

Devil505

Former Staff
Jan 2008
Florida
No one is attempting to make poor people 'rich,' just not so poor that they need government assistance (meaning middle class tax revenue in the form of food stamps and other programs). There is a not too thinly veiled attempt to make rich people MORE rich on the backs of the poor. This is extremely bad for the middle class who must bail out the poor.
Problem is that many of the rich think of the poor as subhumans who exist to be fleeced by rich predators like Trump.

What do you call this group?....Republicans.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Problem is that many of the rich think of the poor as subhumans who exist to be fleeced by rich predators like Trump.

What do you call this group?....Republicans.
Suspect the poor in red states that voted for Trump would disagree. As we have been shown many many times on this forum, most of the poor in the US are republicans. If thats what they like to hear, more power to them.

Sep 2014
South FL
Who in your world do you trust to make decisions on what federal programs get cut.....The GOP?
They talk the talk but don't walk the walk but between the two at least the Republicans have some general belief in the concept of small government. Of course they need to deliver, it isn't going to be the Democrats who simply do not even have any belief in the concept.

Dec 2018
Florida
That is something you cannot do while giving multibillion-dollar tax cuts to rich people. A $0.50 per hour raise at best accounts for inflation (assuming one gets the raise, and assuming inflation is around 3% on a $15/hr. wage) - something that does not significantly impact someone whose income is a quarter-million dollars per week - or even per month.
The issue here is that just because you tax those millionaires or legislate a raise in minimum wage, doesn’t mean that goes to those people who need a raise. Why? Because costs accordingly. It happens EVERY time. The taxed monies don’t go to those who they are supposed to. At best? It goes to an expensive government social program that doesn’t produce anything. It doesn’t bring in money to the economy and the pockets of people. They might get something for reduced or no cost, but only if it is needed. If you raise minimum wage? The costs charged by the company will go up accordingly. If it goes too high? You will traction in the market and the company will lose profits and wages (and as others have pointed out we are globalized...and thus a company may shutter itself and move).

I know I am being long and drawn out. But the point is that to raise wages? REAL wages and NOT just pegged to inflation? You have to incentivize. Give a carrot. Not a stick. The money moved from the top down must be done so because it is the best option. I know that SOUNDS like trickle down, but I’m hardly that idealistic to believe in the altruism of people. The money has to be moved because it is beneficial to move it.

Devil505

Former Staff
Jan 2008
Florida
They talk the talk but don't walk the walk but between the two at least the Republicans have some general belief in the concept of small government. Of course they need to deliver, it isn't going to be the Democrats who simply do not even have any belief in the concept.
So we agree that no one presently is capable of fairly implementing your idea of providing necessary services to the people while lowering the cost of said services equitably.

When I hear the term "Small Government" I understand it as a dog-whistle to fellow Republicans who want a government only big enough to respond to the needs of the rich and keep them in power.
You simply can't administrate a country as large and diverse as ours with a small government.
That's a GOP lie!

Last edited:

Devil505

Former Staff
Jan 2008
Florida
Suspect the poor in red states that voted for Trump would disagree. As we have been shown many many times on this forum, most of the poor in the US are republicans. If thats what they like to hear, more power to them.
I submit that most of those people want to believe in the Tooth Fairy and Trump filled that need for them.
As studies have shown, most of Trump's base is at the low end of intelligence and schooling.
Perfect targets for conmen and fgn despots

Oct 2013
USA
What ? No liberals to congratulate me ? No conservatives to question me ? Huh ?
I was too busy contemplating how not-new you are with your views. The only new thing is this is typical of Trump supporters to toss out fringe subjects to avoid the bottom line of who they are. What that means is Ocasio-Cortez has zero to do with your bottom line as a Trump supporter.

Keep believing Trump's crazy words because this is not working.