Maybe I'm the New Conservative Maverick, But I Agree with Ocasio-Cortez

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Sweden Has a 70 Percent Tax Rate and It Is Fine

We desperately need higher federal revenue whether we agree on how that money should be spent. This would be the most effective way of doing that.
I wouldnt be putting too much faith in Sweden until we see how they go. They are on the verge of going far right due to their taxes and immigration. They also have so few young that its more challenging to afford those social goodies the older people enjoy.

"Rising rates in themselves also present a challenge for the next government, whether Prime Minister Stefan Lofven gets renewed confidence or his main challenger, Moderate Party leader Ulf Kristersson, wins. Households have loaded up on debt amid years of record low borrowing costs and are vulnerable. Higher rates could also reignite declines in the housing market. That sentiment is also echoed by the opposition, which wants to cut taxes and warns the government has wasted the economic boom. Sweden has some of the highest marginal tax rates in the world after the current government raised them to pay for increased welfare services and integration of immigrants."

Bloomberg - Are you a robot?

Jun 2018
Florida
Sigh, you realize that a person in the US with dollars who wants to travel to Europe has to trade dollars for euros, right? Instead of them spending their dollars here, they trade for euros, spend the euros there and then the person who traded for the dollars spends those dollars.

Just try economic freedom, it works.

The adverse effects of inflation and taxes on investment returns become especially pronounced over the long run.
Point is, they're spending them THERE, thus depriving US businesses of sales$$ here (similar to immigrants' remittances)

Jun 2018
Florida
I was too busy contemplating how not-new you are with your views. The only new thing is this is typical of Trump supporters to toss out fringe subjects to avoid the bottom line of who they are. What that means is Ocasio-Cortez has zero to do with your bottom line as a Trump supporter.

Keep believing Trump's crazy words because this is not working.
I'm not trying to "avoid" anything. Before I was a Trump supporter and a registered Republican, I was a far left Democrat and Green, who voted for every leftist candidate for president from McGovern in '72 to Obama in 2008. I have always favored high taxes on the INDIVIDUAL rich, and as salaries to sports atheletes and movie stars has gotten astronomical, I simply continue that position.

That doesn't mean I have to support other (dumb) ideas of Democrats like excess immigration, Islamization, affirmative action, unrestrained abortion, and gun-free zones.

Jun 2018
Florida
Says more about you than them. Cons dislike you because you want 'freebies' to get by and you want THEM to give them to you. Libs don't like you because you are a mean-spirited hack.

If you were a bit nicer, you'd have more friends. Just saying.
I'm comfortable with how nice I am, and so are my family and friends, AND some people in this loon-liberal infested forum. Don't need your "mean-spirited" 2 cents.

Jun 2018
Florida
No, we don't need higher federal revenue. We need to dramatically cut spending and cut taxes further.

Sweden isn't fine actually. Sweden isn't wealthy by US standards AT ALL. If Sweden and Germany became US states, they would not rank favorable AT ALL. Of course the relevant comparison is really between the EU and the US as a whole and of course, as a whole, the EU, TODAY is stuck in what we would call a permanent recession. The unemployment rate in the eurozone was 8.1% in Oct 2018. This is the LOWEST its been since November 2008.
I wonder how many of those unemployed are native-born Europeans, out of a job because of jobs going to low wage 3rd world immigrants. If you keep bringing in people, while not increasing the job supply, you're going to get unemployment.

Davocrat

Former Staff
Apr 2007
Deep State
I suppose my conservative pals in Political Hotwire might distance themselves from me on this, but I going to be honest about it, as I am about everything I post about. While I disagree with Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on mostly everything, I am finding myself in agreement with her (at least partially) on her suggestion for taxing the richest Americans at 70%. I would go even further and say they could be taxed at 90%, as they were during the Republican administration of Dwight D. Eisenhower.

I think that some people in America are just taking too much money for what they do, and the money they waste on luxuries, could be better spent on such things as the Mexican border wall, higher pay for border patrol agents and ICE, and hiring more of them, armed guards in schools, help for ailing babies, and even higher payments for Social Security and va pensions, etc.

I would not mess with the lowered corporate tax, as I think that reform is partially to be credited for the great economy we've been having over the past 2 years. I would only raise the individual tax, on such very rich multimillionaires as movie stars, professional atheletes, and rock stars, all of whom I consider to be grossly overpaid.

It actually sickens me to see award winners Meryl Streep, Julia Louis-Dreyfuss, and Robert DeNiro raking in the millions, while not paying much tax, and at the same time, trash-talking President Trump. Same thing goes for national anthem kneeler Colin Kapernick, and his absurd crew.
Maybe you ought to get perspective on American incomes:
Household income in the United States - Wikipedia

There are a whole lot more investment brokers than Streeps and DeNiros.

Kaepernick? I bet good Realtors make more than him as a football player (he might be doing better with his most recent endorsements).

If your goal is to soak Hollywood, raising the income tax rate isn't very targeted. So while I agree with raising taxes at the top, you're going to be unhappy with all the "collateral damage."

Nov 2015
UK
I suppose my conservative pals in Political Hotwire might distance themselves from me on this, but I going to be honest about it, as I am about everything I post about. While I disagree with Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on mostly everything, I am finding myself in agreement with her (at least partially) on her suggestion for taxing the richest Americans at 70%. I would go even further and say they could be taxed at 90%, as they were during the Republican administration of Dwight D. Eisenhower.

I think that some people in America are just taking too much money for what they do, and the money they waste on luxuries, could be better spent on such things as the Mexican border wall, higher pay for border patrol agents and ICE, and hiring more of them, armed guards in schools, help for ailing babies, and even higher payments for Social Security and va pensions, etc.

I would not mess with the lowered corporate tax, as I think that reform is partially to be credited for the great economy we've been having over the past 2 years. I would only raise the individual tax, on such very rich multimillionaires as movie stars, professional atheletes, and rock stars, all of whom I consider to be grossly overpaid.

It actually sickens me to see award winners Meryl Streep, Julia Louis-Dreyfuss, and Robert DeNiro raking in the millions, while not paying much tax, and at the same time, trash-talking President Trump. Same thing goes for national anthem kneeler Colin Kapernick, and his absurd crew.
Yes, no, bit of both.

You do get some left and right wing politicians where some on the opposite party agree too. Not all left wingers are crazy, but they are a rare breed.

As for taxing the rich, push them too far, they will just up sticks to another country. Happened before in the past and even British F1 driver, Lewis Hamilton, lives in Switzerland for tax reasons.

I read a study. Large corporations settle where they pay lower tax, that means they attract the jobs and wealth to that city/state/country so it's just a simple as one thinks. I need to find that study again because your views on large corporations and tax will change.