Mayor Pete Buttigieg is the hottest thing in politics. Can it last?

Jul 2011
NYC/Москва

The Democratic upstart with the inscrutable surname (pronounced BUDDHA-judge) and platinum resume — Rhodes scholar, business consulting background, Afghanistan war vet — has raised an impressive $7 million, begun climbing in polls and become the unlikely pace-setter for engagement on social media.

Is this guy the democrat party flavor of the day or the nominee? E

HCProf

Sep 2014
USA
He hasn't spewed stupidity and is sane. He probably won't get the nomination for that very fact. Ignorance is the hot button for voters these days.

Apr 2016
Seattle
He is a Rhodes Scholar like Clinton so hes smart enough to make some sense out there on the stump. Using his Christianity against Pence is pretty stupid tho... Especially since he supports late term abortions and AOCs stupid new green deal.

Sep 2012
California
The mere fact that a gay married man can be considered as a leading candidate by either party is astounding. The arc of society is moving left so fast the right needs a rocket to keep up. Whoever is the candidate should think long and hard about making him the VP. I can see him becoming POTUS before he turns 50 but doubt very much if he will win in 2020. We should all be proud that we are ridding ourselves of this prejudice. Now we can work on the fear of female leadership and atheism. We are becoming more free folks and our kids will make us even more free when we finally give it up.

Jan 2015
Great State of Texas
The mere fact that a gay married man can be considered as a leading candidate by either party is astounding. The arc of society is moving left so fast the right needs a rocket to keep up. Whoever is the candidate should think long and hard about making him the VP. I can see him becoming POTUS before he turns 50 but doubt very much if he will win in 2020. We should all be proud that we are ridding ourselves of this prejudice. Now we can work on the fear of female leadership and atheism. We are becoming more free folks and our kids will make us even more free when we finally give it up.
Not astounding ....

A delusion.

Neither Party will accept this persons candidacy.

Feb 2010
between Moon and NYC

The Democratic upstart with the inscrutable surname (pronounced BUDDHA-judge) and platinum resume — Rhodes scholar, business consulting background, Afghanistan war vet — has raised an impressive $7 million, begun climbing in polls and become the unlikely pace-setter for engagement on social media.

Is this guy the democrat party flavor of the day or the nominee? E

So far he comes across as a relatively moderate level headed guy. Hope he makes it to the debates, which i suspect will happen unless he steps on a political landmine.

Reality is that his last name isn't helping his candidacy. (Also like Hickenlooper who has a similarly problematic name issue.)

boontito

Future Staff
Jan 2008
Most Insidious
They're all either flavors of the month or future flavor of the months, that's how early it is, especially with a field this wide open. Remember how many different people were front runners for the GOP in 2016? I expect the same for the Dems in 2020.

May 2013
Boise, ID
I'm attending an event tomorrow for Mayor Pete here in Boise. They're holding these all across the country if interested. Just Google Mayor Pete's Big Reveal to see if there's a watch party near you.

OR watch it on your favorite news network (not that Fox will cover it mind ya ;-) Guessing around 1:30 to 2 PM EST.

What you need to know for Buttigieg's Sunday announcement

Oh and for the record - He's now polling third in both Iowa and New Hampshire. Think he can't win? I believe he can. Our country could use some SANE, SMART and NICE for a change. :)

Pete Buttigieg has gone from totally unknown to polling third in Iowa and New Hampshire