Mayor Pete Buttigieg is the hottest thing in politics. Can it last?

Jan 2015
Great State of Texas
I can agree with your last statement. Pete will eventually get eaten alive by his competitors. They will manage to find something on him to toss him out of the race.
I don't think the American voters will ever get the chance to choose their nominee again.

The DNC and RNC will make sure another anomaly like Trump can't ever happen again.

They believe it is their RIGHT to choose for us.

HayJenn

Jul 2014
CA
I can agree with your last statement. Pete will eventually get eaten alive by his competitors. They will manage to find something on him to toss him out of the race.
Nobody had really heard much Obama either when he ran

Or Jimmy Carter too.

You just never know.

HCProf

Sep 2014
USA
Nobody had really heard much Obama either when he ran

Or Jimmy Carter too.

You just never know.
This is true...you never know. Anything is possible. I do think we are dealing with another breed of cat these days tho which is extremism. 20 years ago, any candidate would know better than to propose reparations for example. All this is, pandering for votes obviously. Everyone knows that will never happen because there is no money for it and we are trillions in debt. Our infrastructure is crumbling, we have a immigration issue at the border where it involves thousands of people in which we don't have money for and we have millions who are not covered for healthcare. We barely are able to keep Medicare sustainable...how are we going to spend millions or billions on reparations?

Jul 2013
On a happy trail
This is true...you never know. Anything is possible. I do think we are dealing with another breed of cat these days tho which is extremism. 20 years ago, any candidate would know better than to propose reparations for example. All this is, pandering for votes obviously. Everyone knows that will never happen because there is no money for it and we are trillions in debt. Our infrastructure is crumbling, we have a immigration issue at the border where it involves thousands of people in which we don't have money for and we have millions who are not covered for healthcare. We barely are able to keep Medicare sustainable...how are we going to spend millions or billions on reparations?
Only since 1865 have reparations been proposed. And in various forms not always monetary but often in the form of free education and other services, many times since.

HCProf

Sep 2014
USA
Only since 1865 have reparations been proposed. And in various forms not always monetary but often in the form of free education and other services, many times since.
We are doing all of this now. In Cleveland, we give vouchers so inner city kids do not have to attend public schools. We offer the PELL grant for college and recently, we tore down most of low income housing developments and built new ones. The housing developments were really nice and pretty much look like they are 15 years old now. Graffiti written all over them, broken windows, etc. I teach for a community college downtown and one of these developments are directly across from the parking lot. I watched those apartments being built from the ground up two years ago...today they look no different than they did before. Throwing money at this issue is not helping at all. We need to work from inside the community and it takes participation from the residents who live there.

HayJenn

Jul 2014
CA
Well, that is just what - one or two candidates. ?

I think by the time all is said and done there will be probably 20 to choose from? Although many of them have no shot (thinking Gabbard, Inslee, Gillibrand, Delany)

I do know that other D candidates are talking about infrastructure and health care.

Immigration is a lot tougher - shame they didn't bother to pass the bi-partisan bill under GWB

The one candidate that I do know that has an immigration plan is Castro.

BDBoop

Former Staff
Dec 2010
Twitter
His speech was riveting, he had my undivided attention - and I'm the queen of doing seventeen things at once because ADD.