Mayor Pete jumps 13 points in new Iowa poll!

May 2013
Boise, ID
From 1% in March to 14% at present. Biden and Bernie slipping - Buttigieg and Warren on the move ...
Selzer & Co., widely seen as producing the best and most reliable polling in the Hawkeye State, last surveyed Iowa Democrats in March, and for most of the field, there’s been quite a bit of movement over the last three months:

Joe Biden: 24% (down from 27% in March)
Bernie Sanders: 16% (down from 25%)
Elizabeth Warren: 15% (up from 9%)
Pete Buttigieg: 14% (up from 1%)
Kamala Harris: 7% (unchanged)

Everyone else was at 2% support or lower.
Little worried about Amy Klobuchar (aka Betty Crocker - right BLR?) who hasn't moved off of 1-2%. I think both she and Pete are gonna have viral moments in the debates and America is going to like them.

Latest Iowa poll points to a Democratic top tier for 2020 race

Apr 2016
Seattle
Well he is for abortion until birth.... Hes for getting rid of the Electoral college. Hes for AOC climate change agenda... I have not heard if hes for medicare for all yet .. Has anyone?

Feb 2011
Boise, ID
Nowhere does he say how he'll do anything... this is just a wish list. not policy. Nice try....
Most voters can't follow actual policy. It's far too complicated. Further, being specific on policy gives tons of fodder to think tanks and the economists/policy analysts they employ to launch a specific counter-attack as to why that policy idea won't work. Almost every election there's a fair amount of mystery as to exactly what either candidate will actually do or pass.

Pete seems like the kind of guy who could easily bore everyone to sleep talking about policy nuances if he wanted to, but seems to know better than to do that if he's running for election to a high office, where zingers and personality and popularity matter 100,000x more than actual policy specifics and technicalities, all of which could and will get bastardized in committee before anything would come to pass anyway.

So far it seems Pete's major play is 1) his sexuality, i.e. he could become a symbol of progressivity the way Obama's dark skin was, and 2) to present an extremely opposite personality and interpersonal style as Trump. Moderate, calm, intellectual.

Last edited:

HayJenn

Jul 2014
CA
Most voters can't follow actual policy. It's far too complicated. Further, being specific on policy gives tons of fodder to think tanks and the economists/policy analysts they employ to launch a specific counter-attack as to why that policy idea won't work. Almost every election there's a fair amount of mystery as to exactly what either candidate will actually do or pass.

Pete seems like the kind of guy who could easily bore everyone to sleep talking about policy nuances if he wanted to, but seems to know better than to do that if he's running for election to a high office, where zingers and personality and popularity matter 100,000x more than actual policy specifics and technicalities, all of which could and will get bastardized in committee before anything would come to pass anyway.

So far it seems Pete's major play is 1) his sexuality, i.e. he could become a symbol of progressivity the way Obama's dark skin was, and 2) to present an extremely opposite personality and interpersonal style as Trump. Moderate, calm, intellectual.
Sad that people don't care about "policy", because of that is what government is all about.

And his website is full of policy ideas if people just hit the button

One example

Under Consumer Protections

• Overhaul the Federal Arbitration Act that stacks the deck against consumers and workers
When your credit card company rips you off, you should have the right to a day in court with a good lawyer, full rights, and public transparency. In most cases, though, the company probably forced you to sign away that right. As consumers, we should always have the right to a fair process and strong protections that keep companies honest in the first place.
ADDITIONAL POLICIES
  • Pass strict regulations on predatory lenders
  • Strengthen antitrust standards
  • Protect your rights over your own data
  • Revive the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau’s enforcement authority
  • Fight big data discrimination

I am very impressed by him. He is Rhodes Scholar and knows his stuff. And agree with your moderate, calm, intellectual.

Hopefully, by the time Iowa rolls around, people WILL be interested in specific topics. I know health care is pretty high on most people's list.