Mayor Pete jumps 13 points in new Iowa poll!

HayJenn

Jul 2014
CA
That's a mischaracterization of his positions other than the Electoral College. Please go back and read more carefully.
  • Access to comprehensive reproductive health care
A woman should have the freedom to make medical decisions on her own or with the counsel of her doctor, family, and faith leaders — those whom she chooses and she trusts. The government's role should be to make sure all women have access to comprehensive affordable care, and that includes preventive care, contraceptive services, prenatal and postpartum care, and safe and legal abortion

I don't see anything "radical" there.

Oct 2018
Somewhere they can't find me.
May 2013
Boise, ID
  • Access to comprehensive reproductive health care
A woman should have the freedom to make medical decisions on her own or with the counsel of her doctor, family, and faith leaders — those whom she chooses and she trusts. The government's role should be to make sure all women have access to comprehensive affordable care, and that includes preventive care, contraceptive services, prenatal and postpartum care, and safe and legal abortion

I don't see anything "radical" there.
Nope - Pete is what I would call a moderate progressive. Smart move to do the Fox Town Hall. I think a lot of these candidates are blowing it by not doing the same.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Have a feeling Mayor Pete could be the underdog, newbie candidate for 2020 as Bill Clinton and Barack Obama were previously. Although Warren is coming on super strong as well. Very similar except for their economic/trade policies.

Jul 2011
NYC/Москва
Most voters can't follow actual policy. It's far too complicated. Further, being specific on policy gives tons of fodder to think tanks and the economists/policy analysts they employ to launch a specific counter-attack as to why that policy idea won't work. Almost every election there's a fair amount of mystery as to exactly what either candidate will actually do or pass.

Pete seems like the kind of guy who could easily bore everyone to sleep talking about policy nuances if he wanted to, but seems to know better than to do that if he's running for election to a high office, where zingers and personality and popularity matter 100,000x more than actual policy specifics and technicalities, all of which could and will get bastardized in committee before anything would come to pass anyway.

So far it seems Pete's major play is 1) his sexuality, i.e. he could become a symbol of progressivity the way Obama's dark skin was, and 2) to present an extremely opposite personality and interpersonal style as Trump. Moderate, calm, intellectual.

He's also very gimmicky, The whole "I ran into people who needed to be married, so I gay married them" tweet. Like they could do that without an appointment. Or the fight he tried to pick with pence, to his cushy role in the military (you can see he does not know how to hold a gun, well not a carbine anyway)...

HayJenn

Jul 2014
CA
He's also very gimmicky, The whole "I ran into people who needed to be married, so I gay married them" tweet. Like they could do that without an appointment. Or the fight he tried to pick with pence, to his cushy role in the military (you can see he does not know how to hold a gun, well not a carbine anyway)...
LOL

Are you upset that you were wrong about him not having any policy proposals when he clearly does?

Cushy role in the military?

Sure thing while we have Mr. Bone spurs in the WH.

And I'm thinking that being an intelligence officer in regards to terrorism is a pretty BFD. As is being on the ground in Kabul

Documents provide glimpse into Buttigieg's military service

Nov 2014
TN
Anyone have any ideas of his actual policies?
Yes, Return the Economy to the Obama Era 1.6% GDP Growth or less

Spend 93 Trillion dollars (over 10 years) on the Green New Deal 9.3 trillion/year
send 10 Trillion on free College (over 10 years),,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, 1.0 Trillion/year
Medicare for all 19 trillion over 10 years..........................................1.9 trillion/year

How will the Economy work when we are going to have to tax 12 Trillion out of our anuall 16 Trllion dollar GDP..

This will lower GDP to 4 trillion/year.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Yep, sad to say older African American's are NOT gay "friendly".

If nothing else I think he would be a fantastic pick for a cabinet position.
Yes it will be his biggest hurdle. He would be a great Secretary of State. But I assume few D admins are going to poach these Ds from state govts, senate or house jobs if they are in R states. That will be a bit of a problem for some of them.