Mdern era NHL pre-season traditions

Jun 2006
Vancouver
Well it's the end of September which means the beginning of October is only days away. NHL season is upon us.

In the modern hockey era there are certain traditions involved in preparing for the new season. These were not factors a generation ago, but my how times have changed.

1) Check to see if your city still has a team.
This tradition is particularly poingiant in Quebec, Windsor and Winnipeg, where the answer is still no, and particularly confusing in Florida, Carolina, Nashville, San Jose, Arizona, Anaheim and Atlanta where people genuinely don't know and lengthy searches of local media still can't answer the question of whether there's a team in town or nor.

2) See who's on your team
If you took the time to memorise some of the new faces from last season... tough luck. They're all gone. The turnover from three years ago is now 99%. If you happened to not see a game for the past two years then there will literally not be a single player on the team that you knew was there, or even had heard their name before. You'll also have no clue where those other guys went. At least 50% of last years team will be gone somewhere you don't know, and have been replaced by people from Slovakia you have never heard of.

3) Find out what the 17th jersey of the past 5 years looks like. Realising in the early 2000's that they can only sell two $300 jerseys to one customer, teams started making brand new jerseys, logos, colours, entire uniforms every single year. On top of that they play in classic jerseys, third jerseys etc. If I bought every vancouver jersey between 1994 and 2004... none of them would be anything like what the team's wearing on the ice in 2010.

4) (Only for Vancouverites) Wonder with increasing anger and frustration who in God's name is ordering the pay per view games. For my whole ife every game was broadcast on local TV. Every game. Then one year they decided that 5 games would be PPV. Unfathomably, people getting over 75 free games a year ACTAULLY PAID. So next year it was 8 games. The year after it was 10 games. WHY ARE YOU PAYING FOR SOMETHING THAT HAS ALWAYS BEEN FREE? It will soon be 15 PPV games and for reasons even God can't undertsand people will PAY to watch them.. sending a very clear message to broadcasters that next year we want MORE PPV games, please. And could you please charge us more while you're at it?

5) Wonder why your home team plays the same 4 other teams for 50% of the season. If I watch 10 Canucks games at random - the chances are I will only see them play Clagary 5 times and Minnisota 5 times. neither of these games will be remotely interesting. And the punchline will be... next year when they play again... 90% of the players will have changed, and several of them will have changed between these exact teams. This is NOT a rivalry. Noone thinks it's a rivalry. Noone cares if they ever watch a Minnisota or Calgary game ever again.. could we spread that pain and agony around the league instead of inflicting it solely on the Northwest?

Nov 2010
I miss hockey. I'm an Islander fan living out of state, so I don't get to watch the games, and they suck and are not worth buying the NHL package.

Let the jokes begin. Sadly, I was only 3-7 during their glory years, and haven't had much to be excited about. 1993 trip to the conference finals was the highlight of my Islander career.

Jun 2006
Vancouver
I believe one of those dynasty years the Islanders defeated Vancouver in the finals... our first time in the finals and we've only been there once since. I was so young I kept pronouncing the 's' in Islanders.

The only people who can claim to share a Vancouver fan's misery is a Buffalo Sabres fan... we're tied for longest without winning a cup.

And are there any Buffalo Sabres fans?

Nov 2010
I believe one of those dynasty years the Islanders defeated Vancouver in the finals... our first time in the finals and we've only been there once since. I was so young I kept pronouncing the 's' in Islanders.

The only people who can claim to share a Vancouver fan's misery is a Buffalo Sabres fan... we're tied for longest without winning a cup.

Yeah, and they lost to the other NY Team, the Rangers. Much to my chagrin.

It ruined all the chants we had
"1940! 1940! 1940!"
"If you know the rangers suck clap your hands...... if you know the ranger suck, 50 years without a cup (good in 1990), if you know the ranger suck clap your hands"

We still have after the chicken dance song saying "the Rangers suck" which I think of every time I hear that song

Dec 2006
In the Witness Protection Program

Nope. Flyers. But I did see the game that almost killed Clint Malarchuk.

May 2006
Bizzaro Werld

Hockey? A game played only by Yankee's and Russians. Grown men sliding around on ice whacking other with sticks.
God made ice only to keep my tea cold, it's only civilized use. :)

Jun 2006
Vancouver
You saw Malarchuk bleed like an Aztec virgin live, or on TV? If I were there live I would have thrown up. I could link o that, it's on youtube, but I wont. Noone needs that.

I was in the rink when Trevor Linden put a human being through the glass. They ruined the Blues that year.

[video=youtube;Uk98gEZWjdo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uk98gEZWjdo[/video]