Mdern era NHL pre-season traditions

Nov 2010
I was at this game when I saw one of the worst cheap shots ever. Man the crowd wanted to kill Hunter after this, the crowd was juiced up! Cap fans were out of there in a flash. Loved Rich Pilon come flying in to kick some ass. Im getting amped just thinking about it

[video=youtube;Xte-Vtxg-m8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xte-Vtxg-m8[/video]

Sparta

Former Staff
Aug 2006
Connecticut
See who's on your team
If you took the time to memorise some of the new faces from last season... tough luck. They're all gone. The turnover from three years ago is now 99%. If you happened to not see a game for the past two years then there will literally not be a single player on the team that you knew was there, or even had heard their name before. You'll also have no clue where those other guys went. At least 50% of last years team will be gone somewhere you don't know, and have been replaced by people from Slovakia you have never heard of.
It's more than that even, these guys have names that take actual study to learn and recall. The NFL has Tommie Harris, Jay Cutler, Lance Briggs, MLB has David Ortiz, Dustin Pedroia, J. D. Drew...easy squeezy. But I'm supposed to remember a guy named Pierre-Luc Letourneau-Leblond, are you fuckin serious?

Sparta

Former Staff
Aug 2006
Connecticut
But yeah, I'm PUMPED!

[video=youtube;Dh9HXffOs1k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dh9HXffOs1k[/video]

May 2006
Bizzaro Werld
You saw Malarchuk bleed like an Aztec virgin live, or on TV? If I were there live I would have thrown up. I could link o that, it's on youtube, but I wont. Noone needs that.

I was in the rink when Trevor Linden put a human being through the glass. They ruined the Blues that year.

[video=youtube;Uk98gEZWjdo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uk98gEZWjdo[/video]

What IS it with hockey fans? No discussion of team or player stats, no comparisons of skills, skating talent, scoring ability, NOTHING. Just jabbering over who beat up who and how it "amped" you or "pumped you up"? You guys pay good money to watch this "sport"? Hell, just go put a folding chair in the parking lot of most any north-side nightclub in St. louis on a weekend night and you can see people beaten up, stabbed and probably a few shot as well. NO cover charge, no expensive parking, no $9.00 beers, etc. As an added thrill (and free I might add) there is the added benefit of maybe catching a stray bullet.

Jun 2006
Vancouver
I was at this game when I saw one of the worst cheap shots ever. Man the crowd wanted to kill Hunter after this, the crowd was juiced up! Cap fans were. Loved Rich Pilon come flying in to kick some ass. Im getting amped just thinking about it

[video=youtube;Xte-Vtxg-m8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xte-Vtxg-m8[/video]
CBC replays games at midnight and I saw this by myself at about 3:30 in the morning when I was a young buck. I was so stunned and the whole house was asleep. I was clenching fists and mouthing swear words and trying not to make a sound. Man... that was ages ago.

Jun 2006
Vancouver
Sparta, Pierre-Luc Letourneau-Leblond is the 21st century's superstar. He plays well on the line with with Slanistav Jovanovskiwitzovich and Svend Kjell Ololoolo.

Hollywood. I don't know what to tell you. I've never thought about it before but you're right. I have been a hockey fan since the day I was born and I watch about 30 - 50 games a year depending on work/life balance. My 3 year old is right this minute, I tell no lie, wearing an Ottawa Senators t-shirt and beating his mother brutally with a foot long foam hockey stick with Crosby's signature on it. The wife is Japanese for God's sake and just yesterday she signed up for a contest to win a lunch with the local WHL team.

And I can honestly tell you if you asked me 1000 trivia questions about stats, records or what player was capatin of my own team in 1990... I would get maybe two right.

That stats thing is a purely American passtime. You will never hear two blokes in a Liverpool pub talking about soccer statistics. Nor cricket fans in New Dheli, rugby goons in Christchurch, sumo fanatics in Tokyo or MMA followers in Toronto talking about percentages or records. It's true. I never thought about it, but you're right.

For hockey it may be that it's too much of a team game. A guy can get 70 goals one year and 40 the next because one of his linemates was injured the second year. They just don't really reflect anything for a team game, except for the goalie... which even then is very relient upon the defense.

PS.

When this happened my entire condo building exploded in noise at the same time. It's still in court as far as I know, Bertuzzi is hated locally, no criminal charges but this was the ugliest game I ever saw. This is only the hit that went too far... you could tell it was gonna get bad at the start of the third.

[video=youtube;Fz9RE9RGrVY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fz9RE9RGrVY&feature=fvw[/video]

Nov 2010
What IS it with hockey fans? No discussion of team or player stats, no comparisons of skills, skating talent, scoring ability, NOTHING. Just jabbering over who beat up who and how it "amped" you or "pumped you up"? You guys pay good money to watch this "sport"? Hell, just go put a folding chair in the parking lot of most any north-side nightclub in St. louis on a weekend night and you can see people beaten up, stabbed and probably a few shot as well. NO cover charge, no expensive parking, no $9.00 beers, etc. As an added thrill (and free I might add) there is the added benefit of maybe catching a stray bullet.
That's one of the best parts of hockey, the hits, just like that is in football. Non-stop action, hitting, some fighting. What's not to like?

I'm not a violent person at all, but when it comes to hockey, love the fighting. It really gets the crowd ramped up and loud. A good scuffle or fight, a big hit, makes the crowd come alive.
Wish I was a fan during the wilder days, with bench clearing brawls in the playoffs for crying out loud, and during the 1st period! LOL.These days you never see a fight in the playoffs

[video=youtube;k3-zXsjM4YQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3-zXsjM4YQ[/video]

Sparta

Former Staff
Aug 2006
Connecticut
PS.

When this happened my entire condo building exploded in noise at the same time. It's still in court as far as I know, Bertuzzi is hated locally, no criminal charges but this was the ugliest game I ever saw. This is only the hit that went too far... you could tell it was gonna get bad at the start of the third.
Bertuzzi was sort of doing his job as a goon though, wasn't he? I mean, we call that hockey justice and that's one of the things so great about this game, the players police themselves, right? It's wicked unfortunate that Moore got hurt so bad, but Bertuzzi was justified in fucking him up because he was responding to what Moore did to Naslund, and if you watch the hit Moore put on Naslund...I mean, that was ugly and dirty as all hell.

Or, did I just speak blasphamy?

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=owpYYNjWnro&feature=related[/video]

Nov 2010
Bertuzzi was sort of doing his job as a goon though, wasn't he? I mean, we call that hockey justice and that's one of the things so great about this game, the players police themselves, right? It's wicked unfortunate that Moore got hurt so bad, but Bertuzzi was justified in fucking him up because he was responding to what Moore did to Naslund, and if you watch the hit Moore put on Naslund...I mean, that was ugly and dirty as all hell.

Or, did I just speak blasphamy?
Sure, if he went after him from the front and not a cheap shot from behind. But really, that happens a lot on hockey, it was a complete fluke that that punched knocked Moore out and even more of a fluke that he broke his neck, which IMO made it seems so vicious and horrible. Cheap shot, yes, but there have been a lot more vicious cheap shots, and plenty of punching when someone isn't looking, and it made no news and there was no outrage over it.

To be honest, the Moore hit wasn't even that bad, because there is nothing wrong with hitting someone instead of going after the puck. Now, what was bad about it is the hit to the head, but Naslund lunged toward the puck leaving his head lowered. Had he not, it would of been a perfectly legal open ice hit.

Sparta

Former Staff
Aug 2006
Connecticut
As a hockey fan, you want to see your team fight someone who's playing dirty, or if your team is playing soft and one of your tough guys gets out there and throws hands to try to light a fire. I have no idea how many checks Milan Lucic got last year, and I don't really care, all I really need to know is whether his line is playing well, and in hockey, the eye test doesn't lie.