Mdern era NHL pre-season traditions

Jun 2006
Vancouver
Actually Bertuzzi was the starting winger. 1st line with Naslund. The two of them and B. Morrison made up the best offensive line vancouver's had in my lifetime. They were amazing, we've never had that kind of dominating line before or since. He is a huge man, and he's heavy, but he was a key part of the offence.

Bertuzzi's said in court that the coach (Crawford) had explicitly told the team to lay Moore out before the playoffs, but tha game was just ugly. 8 to 2 and still a full period to play and Vancouver was spending every minute of ever shift trying to hurt them. Both teams were already in the playoffs, the game was already lost, the entire focus for 20 minutes was to hurt Moore. And Colorado, heading into the playoffs, was keeping their best players off the ice. You could SMELL a major injury coming. Colorado had no interest in fighting anymore, they were avoiding and ignoring the calls to fight. Bertuzzi was really caught up in it, but it could have been anybody. And Crawford was clearly encouraging it.

Not a geat night for Vancouver.

I'm really not selling this sport to Hollywood, am I.

Dec 2006
In the Witness Protection Program
You saw Malarchuk bleed like an Aztec virgin live, or on TV? If I were there live I would have thrown up. I could link o that, it's on youtube, but I wont. Noone needs that.

I was in the rink when Trevor Linden put a human being through the glass. They ruined the Blues that year.

[video=youtube;Uk98gEZWjdo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uk98gEZWjdo[/video]
I was watching the game on television and, since no one really knew they were watching a dying man, the cameras never left him. It wasn't until later that news reports refused to show the footage.

May 2006
Bizzaro Werld
I guess it's just a Yankee/Canada "thing". I grew up watching Cardinals baseball, played the game and love it. But in baseball you do not hit the other guy on the head with your "stick". You would most likely be arrested on the spot and barred from the game for life. I also enjoy boxing, but in boxing you're SUPPOSSED to beat the hell out of the other guy. Please, watch and enjoy what you like to, I wasn't being critical of anyone, just expressing confusion over the attraction and fascination the game holds for some people. As I said, to me it's just a bunch of guys sl.iding around on the ice whacking each other with crooked sticks.

May 2006
Bizzaro Werld
As a hockey fan, you want to see your team fight someone who's playing dirty, or if your team is playing soft and one of your tough guys gets out there and throws hands to try to light a fire. I have no idea how many checks Milan Lucic got last year, and I don't really care, all I really need to know is whether his line is playing well, and in hockey, the eye test doesn't lie.
Well, I'm not a hockey fan and spent most of my life in the south where it's simply not played and for the most part just ignored. So I confess i don't know much about it. But isn't it the job of the refs to stop players/teams from playing dirty? "light a fire"??? What do you mean? Getting his team-mates to play with more passion and determination? In baseball that is provided by wanted to play the game better than the other team and thus showing off your superior skills.
No offense, I guess I just don't "get" hockey.

Nov 2010
I guess it's just a Yankee/Canada "thing". I grew up watching Cardinals baseball, played the game and love it. But in baseball you do not hit the other guy on the head with your "stick". You would most likely be arrested on the spot and barred from the game for life. I also enjoy boxing, but in boxing you're SUPPOSSED to beat the hell out of the other guy. Please, watch and enjoy what you like to, I wasn't being critical of anyone, just expressing confusion over the attraction and fascination the game holds for some people. As I said, to me it's just a bunch of guys sl.iding around on the ice whacking each other with crooked sticks.
baseball is as boring as can be. Lots of down time, little actual action. hockey is non-stop action.
But the rules of hockey allow fighting. Sure, you get a 5 minute penalty, but you dont' get suspended or thrown out of the game. It is in place for a reason, as its a very violent sport, with hard hitting, and its there to protect your finesse and star players from being constantly leveled and hurt. Plus there is a lot of fighting along the boards, checking, slashing, hooking, etc going on, and its a constant battle for the puck.

May 2006
Bizzaro Werld
baseball is as boring as can be. Lots of down time, little actual action. hockey is non-stop action.
But the rules of hockey allow fighting. Sure, you get a 5 minute penalty, but you dont' get suspended or thrown out of the game. It is in place for a reason, as its a very violent sport, with hard hitting, and its there to protect your finesse and star players from being constantly leveled and hurt. Plus there is a lot of fighting along the boards, checking, slashing, hooking, etc going on, and its a constant battle for the puck.
I know. Isn't that what i said? It's a bunch of guys sliding around on the ice fighting and whacking each other with crooked sticks. :)
Thanks, but I think I'll stick with baseball.

Dec 2006
In the Witness Protection Program
I know. Isn't that what i said? It's a bunch of guys sliding around on the ice fighting and whacking each other with crooked sticks. :)
Thanks, but I think I'll stick with baseball.
There are two kinds of people in this world. Hockey fans and those who have never been to a game.

May 2006
Bizzaro Werld
There are two kinds of people in this world. Hockey fans and those who have never been to a game.
Oh I've been to a game. Went to a Blues game here in St. Louis once. Paid good money to watch a bunch of guys with funny names slide around on the ice and whack each other with crooked sticks. :)

Sparta

Former Staff
Aug 2006
Connecticut
Well, I'm not a hockey fan and spent most of my life in the south where it's simply not played and for the most part just ignored. So I confess i don't know much about it. But isn't it the job of the refs to stop players/teams from playing dirty? "light a fire"??? What do you mean? Getting his team-mates to play with more passion and determination? In baseball that is provided by wanted to play the game better than the other team and thus showing off your superior skills.
No offense, I guess I just don't "get" hockey.
Yeah, the refs have a responsibility to enforce the rules, but in hockey you've got 10 guys flying around the ice at 30mph, there's a lot they're just not going to see. Just like baseball, there are also unwritten rules which just shouldn't be broken. If a big guy boards the shit out of your teams superstar and hurts him, he'll get 2 minutes in the box, meanwhile you've just lost your top goal scorer for the season, not a bad trade.

Imagine what would happen if Carpenter came to the plate and Zombrano beaned him in the head with a fastball, how would you expect the Cards to respond? Keep that in mind and consider the nature of hockey.

Baseball (of which I'm a HUGE fan) really can't be compared to hockey, guys are always playing injured, and I mean all of them. In hockey not one guy is 100% during the season, it's amazing what these guys go through. We've both seen what the grind of an MLB season can do to players, and the NHL is similar in the grind of the season, but there's a much different mentality between the sports, and yeah, sometimes teams get flat and need an extra push.

May 2006
Bizzaro Werld
Yeah, the refs have a responsibility to enforce the rules, but in hockey you've got 10 guys flying around the ice at 30mph, there's a lot they're just not going to see. Just like baseball, there are also unwritten rules which just shouldn't be broken. If a big guy boards the shit out of your teams superstar and hurts him, he'll get 2 minutes in the box, meanwhile you've just lost your top goal scorer for the season, not a bad trade.

Imagine what would happen if Carpenter came to the plate and Zombrano beaned him in the head with a fastball, how would you expect the Cards to respond? Keep that in mind and consider the nature of hockey.

Baseball (of which I'm a HUGE fan) really can't be compared to hockey, guys are always playing injured, and I mean all of them. In hockey not one guy is 100% during the season, it's amazing what these guys go through. We've both seen what the grind of an MLB season can do to players, and the NHL is similar in the grind of the season, but there's a much different mentality between the sports, and yeah, sometimes teams get flat and need an extra push.

Good points. Zombrano would promply catch a fast ball in the head the next time he came to bat. BUT, in baseball hurting the other players on purpose does not constitute 75% of the game. It's just something that occassionally happens for the reasons you describe. Baseball does NOT have desiginated thugs on each team. Different kind of grind, MLB plays something like 163 games during the regular season and more if you make the play-offs. If players were injured to the degree and frequency of hockey players there would be no baseball season.