Meatless Monday in NYC

Davocrat

Former Staff
Apr 2007
Orangemanbad
NPR feature speaks of reducing meat consumption as part of a hypothetical 2050 where we've solved the climate change problem.

2050: The same way we stopped mining coal to generate electricity, we've stopped mining the soil to grow food.

"It's different now, in 2050," Arango says with a smile.

In a world without climate change, this is what cattle grazing looks like, all over the tropics. Farmers aren't letting cows wander across the landscape in search of something to eat. They're treating their pasture like a valuable crop, which it really is.

"This was critical, to change the mindset of cattle growers," Arango says.

As a result, production is way up and "there is no need to cut the Amazon to do livestock production," Arango says.

Another critical change: Americans are eating a lot less beef now — per person, half what they ate in 2020. "That's a really, really big deal," Searchinger says.

Traveling the country, you now see alternatives to beef and dairy products everywhere. There are blended mushroom-beef burgers in fast food chains and non-dairy cheese on pizzas. They even taste pretty good, thanks to the creative genius of America's finest food scientists.
It's 2050 And This Is How We Stopped Climate Change

Reactions: Babba

Babba

Former Staff
Jul 2007
So. Md.
No its true its helping clear cutting but overall right now vegetarianism is more harmful to the environment.
You found one study that stated that. I've just found another that says eating less meat is the best way for people who live in countries like ours to help the environment.

Rev. Hellh0und

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Somewhere below 14th and East.
You found one study that stated that. I've just found another that says eating less meat is the best way for people who live in countries like ours to help the environment.

We can go tit for tat, the fact is vegetarianism can only exist on the back of an omnivourous society. We would not be as evolved had we not ate meat

Rev. Hellh0und

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Somewhere below 14th and East.
Of course you don't. But at least I did not insert an irrelevant 9 second clip from the movie Pulp Fiction. *shrug*
More relevant than your posts.

Sorry man, but you are wasting my time with these nonsensical
Posts.