Melting glaciers will raise the ocean levels? Really?

StanStill

Former Staff
Dec 2013
Work
How many times a year will this completely irrelevant red herring come up?

The glaciers scientists are concerned about are on land. Therefore, the ice cubes should be suspended over the water and when they melt the water should flow down into an already full cup. Of course, that would make the cup overflow thus killing the usefulness of this distraction.

But you probably knew that already.

May 2013
N Oregon Coast
Oh GAWD - This is the dumbest denier experiment I've ever seen in my life.

To make your experiment have any application to rising sea levels from melting glaciers, you would have had to fill the glass with water and THEN add the ice cubes. OR, you could have added SALT WATER to the glass of freshwater ice.

Loss of land ice (not sea ice) = more sea level rise » Yale Climate Connections
Melting of Floating Ice Will Raise Sea Level | National Snow and Ice Data Center
https://skepticalscience.com/Sea-level-rise-due-to-floating-ice.html

StanStill

Former Staff
Dec 2013
Work
Oh GAWD - This is the dumbest denier experiment I've ever seen in my life.

To make your experiment have any application to rising sea levels from melting glaciers, you would have had to fill the glass with water and THEN add the ice cubes. OR, you could have added SALT WATER to the glass of freshwater ice.

Loss of land ice (not sea ice) = more sea level rise » Yale Climate Connections
Melting of Floating Ice Will Raise Sea Level | National Snow and Ice Data Center
https://skepticalscience.com/Sea-level-rise-due-to-floating-ice.html

Touché. Hadn't seen that done with ice melting into salt water. So even if all the glaciers were floating in the ocean, (absurd, if you know about Greenland and Antarctica, etc.) they would still contribute to sea level rise if they melt.

Closing comments, MichelleZ?

Nov 2013
NY
Here is an interesting experiment with Mr. Wizard regarding what happens when ice melts

I appreciate you trying to educate yourself.. and starting with the very entry level for you on this topic, definitely fits.
But i'm confident that the below information is still within your skill level when it comes to science:

to summarize: fresh water has a different density than salt water, therefore it displaces less volume in a frozen state than in melted state.

Want to play Mr. Wizard ? Go do the experiment yourself, and make yourself a nice full glass of SALT water... in which you put freshwater ice cubes...
Maybe put up a camera, and show us the results.. we root for you !

Sep 2007
N48 51.489 E2 17.67119
How many times a year will this completely irrelevant red herring come up?

The glaciers scientists are concerned about are on land. Therefore, the ice cubes should be suspended over the water and when they melt the water should flow down into an already full cup. Of course, that would make the cup overflow thus killing the usefulness of this distraction.

But you probably knew that already.
No she didn't.

May 2013
N Oregon Coast
Touché. Hadn't seen that done with ice melting into salt water. So even if all the glaciers were floating in the ocean, (absurd, if you know about Greenland and Antarctica, etc.) they would still contribute to sea level rise if they melt.

Closing comments, MichelleZ?
Michelle suddenly became very, uhmmm ... BUSY. Yeaaah, that's the ticket! :)