Mental Health Commitment for Danger to Society vs gun ban

Dec 2018
Florida
This is a tough discussion. And I think this is a big deal. We constantly get bogged down when something bad happens because of people want to debate what should and shouldn’t be legal. But what doesn’t really happen is a discussion on WHEN does someone pose a danger to society? Because let’s be honest...if someone has decided to commit mass murder? They don’t belong in society anymore. They shouldn’t just have their guns taken. They should lose their freedom. Period.

So that being said? What do you think is the point where we should start committing someone for being a public danger? When CAN we do it? What lines should be drawn that allow us to restrict the freedom of someone who is a danger to society? What kinds of controls? Do you think we need to change currently laws? I’m curious how people see this discussion. And if they see the bigger picture beyond the “guns kill people” vs “people kill people” debate.

Jul 2011
Memphis, Tn.
This is a tough discussion. And I think this is a big deal. We constantly get bogged down when something bad happens because of people want to debate what should and shouldn’t be legal. But what doesn’t really happen is a discussion on WHEN does someone pose a danger to society? Because let’s be honest...if someone has decided to commit mass murder? They don’t belong in society anymore. They shouldn’t just have their guns taken. They should lose their freedom. Period.

So that being said? What do you think is the point where we should start committing someone for being a public danger? When CAN we do it? What lines should be drawn that allow us to restrict the freedom of someone who is a danger to society? What kinds of controls? Do you think we need to change currently laws? I’m curious how people see this discussion. And if they see the bigger picture beyond the “guns kill people” vs “people kill people” debate.
Not a lawyer.
But I think in most states a person can be committed against their will for a mental health evaluation if they have demonstrated a desire/intent to hurt themselves or others. I don't think it is necessary for them to actualy commit a crime.

Dec 2018
Florida
Not a lawyer.
But I think in most states a person can be committed against their will for a mental health evaluation if they have demonstrated a desire/intent to hurt themselves or others. I don't think it is necessary for them to actualy commit a crime.
They can be. And that is the line as of now. But that line is fuzzy. And it can be difficult to enforce. When someone starts drowning cats for fun, they have crossed a line. But they may only get animal cruelty charges.

Jul 2011
Memphis, Tn.
They can be. And that is the line as of now. But that line is fuzzy. And it can be difficult to enforce. When someone starts drowning cats for fun, they have crossed a line. But they may only get animal cruelty charges.
Each state needs to address their laws concerning this.

Sep 2013
On a hill

We do hospitalize people when they are judged to be a danger to themselves or others.