"Metallica" performs Soviet rock classic in Moscow

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
Iconic American band "Metallica" at Moscow's Luzhniki Stadium today, shocking local fans, by belting out, in heavily accented Russian (!) the beloved classic "Gruppa Krovi" ("Blood type")

It is one of the most remembered hits over there, by Viktor Tsoi, and his band "Kino"
Tsoi (son of Russian mother and ethnic Korean father) was basically the Tsar of Soviet/Russian rock in the 80s.

Tragically, he died young, in a horrible car accident, in 1990, he was only 28; many of his hardcore fans were convinced (and many still are, to this day), that, in fact, he was simply tired of his fame, and actually faked his death back then, and now lives quietly in rural Siberia somewhere; in Moscow, on Arbat street, there's a whole "Wall of Tsoi", which the authorities have basically surrendered to Tsoi fans, they can leave graffiti on it, their motto "Tsoi lives!", lyrics from his famous songs, their names, etc

lol Here, not too long ago, a guy named Yuri Tsoi, also obviously ethnic Korean, running for local legislature in Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk, on Sakhalin Island (Far East Russia; lots of indigenous Koreans there)

He uses the "Tsoi lives!" on his poster (though he is apparently not related to THE Tsoi at all, in any way) + "Those who are laying down to sleep, have a good night!", lyrics from another Kino hit :D Shameless bastard...

Tsoi is still huge, very much so.

His "We await changes!" ("My zhdem peremen!")
pushed mobs of young people to the streets against the ageing Communist regime back then; and it is still Russia's number one protest anthem...

And, it seems, even Metallica knows who Viktor Tsoi is! Awesome to see :D

May 2012
By the wall
Reactions: The Man

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
Wow they are looking a lot different but still rocking....good for them....that's quite a thing singing in a native language but the song did kind of suck I think.....must be a Russia thing I guess......did you see all the phones there though....looked like a fucking concert in Cleveland or something.

LOL
That's cool, I went to a Metallica show a few years ago and was shocked by how good they sounded, how seriously they took the show, and how humble they were. I would highly recommend it.
Their first ever concert in Moscow (along with AC/DC and others) was back in 1991, it was crazy, 1.6 million (!) people were there, at Tushino Airfield:
It was the first ever such concert with foreign bans on Russian soil. In Soviet Union, before, American music was banned, records and such were illegally smuggled in.

So nice that things are different today; at least Russians can listen to whoever they want, even Metallica; or KISS: KISS back in Russia

:)

Libertine

Apr 2015
Katmandu
Their first ever concert in Moscow (along with AC/DC and others) was back in 1991, it was crazy, 1.6 million (!) people were there, at Tushino Airfield:
It was the first ever such concert with foreign bans on Russian soil. In Soviet Union, before, American music was banned, records and such were illegally smuggled in.

So nice that things are different today; at least Russians can listen to whoever they want, even Metallica; or KISS: KISS back in Russia

James Hetfield is a big hunter, I watched a show where he went on a Russian bear hunt.

May 2012
By the wall

I believe Skid Row and the Scorpions went before that and Iron Maiden has always been going there.

Nov 2007
Prague, Czech Republic
Iconic American band "Metallica" at Moscow's Luzhniki Stadium today, shocking local fans, by belting out, in heavily accented Russian (!) the beloved classic "Gruppa Krovi" ("Blood type")
I saw that they played a famous Dutch song for the gig in Netherlands, so I guess they're doing it in every country for this tour.

I've got tickets for the Prague gig, so I'll let you know what we get.

Nov 2007
Prague, Czech Republic
Wow they are looking a lot different but still rocking....good for them....that's quite a thing singing in a native language but the song did kind of suck I think.....must be a Russia thing I guess......did you see all the phones there though....looked like a fucking concert in Cleveland or something.

LOL
You know we all have phones over here in foreign parts too, right? :)