"Metallica" performs Soviet rock classic in Moscow

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
lol Here's, apparently, allegedly, the "cheat sheet" they used to learn the song
http://instagr.am/p/B0NVZAzHCtg/ :D I can't even read this... Not used to read Russian words in Latin alphabet AND broken into sections to boot haha

In other related news, apparently, Moscow police been testing out new facial recognition technologies

including body-worn gadgets developed by the Chinese

which, I have seen reports back in February, they are, it seems, now supplying to the Russians as well...

Well, apparently, this netted them some catch right at the Metallica concert: guy named Yevgeny Severin, 33 (no pics I can find yet) of Tomsk, Siberia, was, apparently, arrested right at Luzhniki, during the concert, after a face recognition camera notified police securing the event that he is actively wanted for violent crimes both in his hometown and in Samara (on the Volga river): Объявленного в розыск мужчину поймали на концерте Metallica в Москве

Amazing... lol Kind of scary too... After all, this is China and Russia we are talking about. They won't use this just on crooks...

johnflesh

Former Staff
Feb 2007
Weirdo
That's cool, I went to a Metallica show a few years ago and was shocked by how good they sounded, how seriously they took the show, and how humble they were. I would highly recommend it.
Indeed. I'm not really a fan of the band, but saw them with Korn many moons ago and it was kickass. They put on a good show.

Reactions: The Man

HCProf

Council Hall
Sep 2014
USA
That's cool, I went to a Metallica show a few years ago and was shocked by how good they sounded, how seriously they took the show, and how humble they were. I would highly recommend it.
Metallica is good live. My husband was a big fan of attending Oz Fest back in the day. We saw Metallica the last time in 2008 ( maybe 2007). They were just here in February. I wish I had caught the show. They can still bring it. :)

Libertine

Apr 2015
Katmandu
Metallica is good live. My husband was a big fan of attending Oz Fest back in the day. We saw Metallica the last time in 2008 ( maybe 2007). They were just here in February. I wish I had caught the show. They can still bring it. :)

I last saw them in 2008 at Bonnaroo. It was awesome. I occasionally hear "One" recorded at that show on the radio and it brings back good memories. After the Metallica show Kirk Hammett went and played with My Morning Jacket. Hammett also played in the SuperJam with Les Claypool that year.

To warm up for Bonnaroo Metallica played a show in the basement of an independent record store in Nashville the night before. A tiny venue, can't imagine how much fun that would have been.

Nov 2007
Prague, Czech Republic
I've got tickets for the Prague gig, so I'll let you know what we get.
They played Jožin z Bažin, a famous novelty song recorded by a comedian in the 70s.

Bit disappointed. First, because I was hoping to hear their rendition of some famous Czech rock song rather than a joke tune. Second, because I've discovered that they played the same song last time they came to Prague.

Good concert otherwise!

Rev. Hellh0und

Former Staff
Jul 2011
315 bowery/DMS
Iconic American band "Metallica" at Moscow's Luzhniki Stadium today, shocking local fans, by belting out, in heavily accented Russian (!) the beloved classic "Gruppa Krovi" ("Blood type")

It is one of the most remembered hits over there, by Viktor Tsoi, and his band "Kino"
Tsoi (son of Russian mother and ethnic Korean father) was basically the Tsar of Soviet/Russian rock in the 80s.

Tragically, he died young, in a horrible car accident, in 1990, he was only 28; many of his hardcore fans were convinced (and many still are, to this day), that, in fact, he was simply tired of his fame, and actually faked his death back then, and now lives quietly in rural Siberia somewhere; in Moscow, on Arbat street, there's a whole "Wall of Tsoi", which the authorities have basically surrendered to Tsoi fans, they can leave graffiti on it, their motto "Tsoi lives!", lyrics from his famous songs, their names, etc

lol Here, not too long ago, a guy named Yuri Tsoi, also obviously ethnic Korean, running for local legislature in Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk, on Sakhalin Island (Far East Russia; lots of indigenous Koreans there)

He uses the "Tsoi lives!" on his poster (though he is apparently not related to THE Tsoi at all, in any way) + "Those who are laying down to sleep, have a good night!", lyrics from another Kino hit :D Shameless bastard...

Tsoi is still huge, very much so.

His "We await changes!" ("My zhdem peremen!")
pushed mobs of young people to the streets against the ageing Communist regime back then; and it is still Russia's number one protest anthem...

And, it seems, even Metallica knows who Viktor Tsoi is! Awesome to see :D

Id be careful posting metallica shit, they will sue you hahahaaa