Mexican Violence Fueled by American Guns

Babba

Former Staff
Jul 2007
So. Md.
I have plenty of argument with the businesses who gain an unfair market advantage by breaking the law. That doesn't mean I can't also have an argument with the Mexican government that enables the situation by being corrupt and incompetent or a US government that allows it to happen by not enforcing the border.
Our trade agreements with Mexico make the whole situation worse. One of the big reasons so many Mexicans have come here for work is because we started selling corn to Mexico. Mexicans have been growing corn for a couple thousand years fer gawdsake! And a lot of small farmers grew it. But then we brilliantly come up NAFTA and suddenly a bunch of Mexicans can't make money anymore.

This paper intends to explicate the causal relationship between U.S. federal subsidies for domestically produced corn and the post-NAFTA rural to urban migration in Mexico. While corn production has been central to the Mexican economy for centuries, it cannot economically compete with highly subsidized corn produced in the United States. In 1994 the implementation of the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) liberalized the markets of Canada, the United States, and Mexico, effectively eliminating nearly all trade barriers. Consequently, corn produced in Mexico now competes directly with American corn in North American markets. Competition with artificially distorted U.S. corn prices has driven unsubsidized corn produced in Mexico out of its customary domestic market as Mexican consumers began to purchase American corn. Mexican corn farmers were no longer able to make a sustainable living due the plummeting demand for their produce and accordingly migrated from rural farms to urban centers in search of employment. Therefore, American corn subsidies are primarily responsible for the rural to urban population shift in Mexico that manifested following the NAFTA deal in 1994.
NAFTA AND U.S. CORN SUBSIDIES: EXPLAINING THE DISPLACEMENT OF MEXICO’S CORN FARMERS | PROSPECT

My God! Our elected officials can be incredibly stupid.

Sep 2009
I have plenty of argument with the businesses who gain an unfair market advantage by breaking the law. That doesn't mean I can't also have an argument with the Mexican government that enables the situation by being corrupt and incompetent or a US government that allows it to happen by not enforcing the border.
If people stopped hiring them then that would cut out a lot of illegal immigration.

boontito

Future Staff
Jan 2008
Most Insidious
Go live in a communist country, then come back home and tell us how you liked it. I bet you will be so happy to be back in the United States, whether it is Liberals or Conservatives running the WH. All you communist, Hitler rhetoric spewers are disgusting and harmful to your own country.

Not all welfare recipients are scamming the system. Sure there is fraud, but you can't put everyone on welfare in the same bucket. Hope you don't need welfare anytime in your life, and if you did, i bet you would be in line to get it.

Of course anti-war protesters are unpatriotic in the minds of a conservative. Conservatives are the most patriotic of and love a good war. The conservatives put themselvses in the anti-conservative media. Ever listen to FOX?
Swing and a miss.

Blah

Former Staff
Jan 2007
USA
I'm pretty sure that tree huggers don't and haven't been supporting gun laws that enable gun dealers to obtain large amounts of automatic weapons to trade for drugs..how many of them do you think are tree hugging liberals?
By the same token it's the Right who are staunchly anti-drug, and moralistic. So wouldn't
it make far more sense that these people are just criminals first and foremost.

The effort to paint everything bad in the world as the fault of "the evil Righty", or "the
evil Lefty
" is just pure hyper-partisanship.

Last edited:

Devil505

Former Staff
Jan 2008
Florida
It's the liberals whining about it.

The government needs to stop people from crossing FROM mexico into the United States.
They come here for the jobs....... like the ones your next GOP Presidential candidate gives them:

Illegal immigrants toiled for governor
Guatemalans say firm hired them
December 1, 2006
This story was reported by Jonathan Saltzman and Maria Cramer of the Globe staff and by Globe correspondent Connie Paige and was written by Saltzman.
SUCHITEPEQUEZ, Guatemala -- Outside his aqua-colored concrete house here, Rene Alvarez Rosales paused under an almond tree to answer questions about a subject with which he has surprising familiarity: Governor Mitt Romney's Belmont lawn.
For about eight years, Rosales said, he worked on and off landscaping the grounds at Romney's home, occasionally getting a "buenos dias" from Romney or a drink of water from his wife, Ann.
Illegal immigrants toiled for governor - The Boston Globe

Mitt Romney is the most likely GOP Presidential candidate for 2012!
(yeah right...The GOP really wants to stop this??)

If people stopped hiring them then that would cut out a lot of illegal immigration.
Right you are Gypsy!

Oct 2010
A place not infested with lying partisan hacks
Are you speaking abut Obama and war in Libya?
Please, remember, wars are not going along the party lines. Unfortunately, all recent American presidents are guilty of idiotic war ambitions.
Please if you could explain the differences between Ronald Reagan and Bush 1"s imposed NFZ in Libya and their several attempts to assassinate Gahdafi and this NATO led mission and this current NFZ being imposed upon Libya and Gahdafi?

Oct 2010
A place not infested with lying partisan hacks
By the same token it's the Right who are staunchly anti-drug, and moralistic. So wouldn't
it make far more sense that these people are just criminals first and foremost.

The effort to paint everything bad in the world as the fault of "the evil Righty", or "the
evil Lefty
" is just pure hyper-partisanship.
I think it's a extremely safe assumption to make that the NRA supports the gun laws along these border states that allows gun dealers to have these weapons on hand in large numbers..who does the NRA back bla?

Blah

Former Staff
Jan 2007
USA
I think it's a extremely safe assumption to make that the NRA supports the gun laws along these border states that allows gun dealers to have these weapons on hand in large numbers..who does the NRA back bla?
So advocating gun ownership rights for Americans equates to being a participant in the drug trade?

I guess we just have to willfully ignore all the Lefties dedicated to decriminalizing drugs...

this argument of yours is one of the more seriously biased I have heard here.

Last edited:
Jun 2011
What if they kill Americans in Mexico with the guns that the American right wing gun dealers trade for drugs? They trade guns for drugs..just how does that support the economy? It does the exact opposite and worse.
Then those same criminals could have been using weapons from elsewhere.

Americans who dislike the idea of being shot in Mexico don't have to go to Mexico.

People who don't like the idea of American guns in Mexico should stop supporting the open border, free invasion nonsense, because the rest of us can tell when they're talking out of both sides of their ass.