Mexico mulling temp marriages

Chief

Former Staff
Nov 2009
SoCal
'Til 2013 do us part? Mexico mulls 2-year marriage - Yahoo! News

MEXICO CITY (Reuters) - Mexico City lawmakers want to help newlyweds avoid the hassle of divorce by giving them an easy exit strategy: temporary marriage licenses.
Leftists in the city's assembly -- who have already riled conservatives by legalizing gay marriage -- proposed a reform to the civil code this week that would allow couples to decide on the length of their commitment, opting out of a lifetime.
The minimum marriage contract would be for two years and could be renewed if the couple stays happy. The contracts would include provisions on how children and property would be handled if the couple splits.

I actually sort of like it... less Romantic, but more practical, and could prevent either party from being financially destroyed by a split.

michaelr

Former Staff
Dec 2006
FEMA Region 10
Good grief the American society is falling apart at the seams.

Chief

Former Staff
Nov 2009
SoCal
Good grief the American society is falling apart at the seams.
I can dig what your saying, but I think that reducing the number of punishing divorce cases that take a screwed up situation and make it worse, is probably worth the price.

Singularity

Oct 2009
Kansas
So long as this initiative entirely concerns civil marriages, I see no problem with it. The same as gay and other marriage rights, there's no reason two consenting people can't enter into the type and sort of union of their preference under the law. And the same as those rights, if more traditional organizers of marriage, religious institutions and the like, don't like the new law, they aren't required to acknowledge those marriages as valid under their beliefs.

Though I do see this being exploited. A temp contract is perfect for people who are just in it for the fiscal benefits or to illegitimately obtain residence rights.

michaelr

Former Staff
Dec 2006
FEMA Region 10
I can dig what your saying, but I think that reducing the number of punishing divorce cases that take a screwed up situation and make it worse, is probably worth the price.

I need to slow down this is Mexico City, Mexico...like their society fell apart a damn long time ago.

Chief

Former Staff
Nov 2009
SoCal
No Ras is right, it's Mexico City, in the nation of Mexico. I didn't notice that at first, so I put a misleading thread title. Sorry about that. I think its an interesting idea though.