MI gov takes first steps to block pipeline, trade unions object

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Really seems these days the environment and trade unions arent on the same page.

On her first working day in office, Gov. Gretchen Whitmer acted Wednesday to potentially block the Enbridge Line 5 tunnel backed by former Gov. Rick Snyder.

Enbridge, a Canadian energy company that operates the pipeline carrying oil and gas products through the environmentally sensitive straits, "believes that the time is right to build for the future," said spokesman Ryan Duffy. The tunnel "would make a safe pipeline even safer and reflects Enbridge’s steadfast commitment to protecting the Great Lakes while safely meeting Michigan’s energy needs," he said.
Whitmer said in a news release she "pledged to take action on the Line 5 pipeline on day one as governor, and I am holding true to that campaign promise.”

Though strongly opposed by environmentalists, the tunnel project has support from trade unions — another Democratic constituency — whose members would benefit from the construction work.

Whitmer takes first step to block Enbridge Line 5 tunnel

Jan 2015
Great State of Texas
Really seems these days the environment and trade unions arent on the same page.

On her first working day in office, Gov. Gretchen Whitmer acted Wednesday to potentially block the Enbridge Line 5 tunnel backed by former Gov. Rick Snyder.

Enbridge, a Canadian energy company that operates the pipeline carrying oil and gas products through the environmentally sensitive straits, "believes that the time is right to build for the future," said spokesman Ryan Duffy. The tunnel "would make a safe pipeline even safer and reflects Enbridge’s steadfast commitment to protecting the Great Lakes while safely meeting Michigan’s energy needs," he said.
Whitmer said in a news release she "pledged to take action on the Line 5 pipeline on day one as governor, and I am holding true to that campaign promise.”

Though strongly opposed by environmentalists, the tunnel project has support from trade unions — another Democratic constituency — whose members would benefit from the construction work.

Whitmer takes first step to block Enbridge Line 5 tunnel
Marxist are never on the same page as the rest of the Country.

Blueneck

Former Staff
Jun 2007
Ohio
I'm a union supporter, but I don't think it's their job to be weighing in on this stuff. They're there to protect workers rights, not to demand we all sacrifice our standard of living to create jobs for them.

Same with coal. The unions don't exist to lobby for jobs, they exist to protect the safety and welfare of their members in the workplace. Which, in the case of coal in particular, they aren't doing too well at.

Prevalence of Black Lung Disease in Coal Miners Reaches 25-Year High

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
I'm a union supporter, but I don't think it's their job to be weighing in on this stuff. They're there to protect workers rights, not to demand we all sacrifice our standard of living to create jobs for them.

Same with coal. The unions don't exist to lobby for jobs, they exist to protect the safety and welfare of their members in the workplace. Which, in the case of coal in particular, they aren't doing too well at.

I think its okay that they get a say but it needs to be made clear its due to them having jobs. It gets dicey though sometimes. Here in NH the trade unions supported the Northern Pass project to bring in energy but the dems didnt. So they endorsed the GOP governor. So dems lost the unions and the election. Thats where the political angle comes in. The unions then say "us or them."

Electrical Workers Union Endorses Sununu For Governor

Blueneck

Former Staff
Jun 2007
Ohio
I think its okay that they get a say but it needs to be made clear its due to them having jobs. It gets dicey though sometimes. Here in NH the trade unions supported the Northern Pass project to bring in energy but the dems didnt. So they endorsed the GOP governor. So dems lost the unions and the election. Thats where the political angle comes in. The unions then say "us or them."

Electrical Workers Union Endorses Sununu For Governor
This has been going on for quite some time. When I was in the IAMAW, they actually created a job classification to allow DAC to hire people at a lower wage for a three month period. I am wary of unions collaborating with management to lower standards in the hope of keeping jobs in the US.

This is different as whatever problems the pipeline could cause isn't likely to affect those building it, but politians shouldn't be pressured to ignore the safety and health of residents just to provide jobs for these people.

Makes me wonder if the unions look the other way when companies try cut costs by subjecting workers to unsafe conditions, etc.

Southern Dad

Former Staff
Feb 2015
Shady Dale, Georgia

The unions are trying to fight for union jobs building and maintaining this pipeline. This oil is going to be moved. It will be moved by rail or truck. Pipelines are a safer and more efficient way to move oil and gasoline.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
This has been going on for quite some time. When I was in the IAMAW, they actually created a job classification to allow DAC to hire people at a lower wage for a three month period. I am wary of unions collaborating with management to lower standards in the hope of keeping jobs in the US.

This is different as whatever problems the pipeline could cause isn't likely to affect those building it, but politians shouldn't be pressured to ignore the safety and health of residents just to provide jobs for these people.

Makes me wonder if the unions look the other way when companies try cut costs by subjecting workers to unsafe conditions, etc.
Yea I can understand all those things. But we have those who think unions should have a big say to sway them to vote certain ways. WVA used to be a dem stronghold but now they arent. I suppose there are some concerned that the UAW, steel workers, electricians, etc will be angered if the environmentalists "steal" their work. We saw that in Ohio where the state went very red yet still elected Sherrod Brown. It isnt as easy a thing as which party supports them but rather how do we balance certain things like the environment and drilling? Or pipelines? Its a tough issue.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
The unions are trying to fight for union jobs building and maintaining this pipeline. This oil is going to be moved. It will be moved by rail or truck. Pipelines are a safer and more efficient way to move oil and gasoline.
Thats a good point, its coming whether MI likes it or not. So I guess in that sense I can understand the competition as to who gets to control that aspect.

Southern Dad

Former Staff
Feb 2015
Shady Dale, Georgia
Thats a good point, its coming whether MI likes it or not. So I guess in that sense I can understand the competition as to who gets to control that aspect.
If the Democrats block it, they will need to explain that to the unions. Imagine if the Democrats lost the union support.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Tapatalk Pro