Migrant kids in overcrowded Arizona border station allege sex assault, retaliation from U.S. agents

Dec 2015
In Your Heart!
If an officer touched someone inappropriately, they should be punished, no question.
The system is overrun and as we all know, a majority of those facilities weren't designed to hold so many people, hence the overcrowding. Believe me, those officers are doing the best they can with what they have, no thanks to the democrats.
I apply the concerns over contagious diseases to the overcrowding as well. Yes, BPO understand they have a dangerous job however, very rarely have they been tasked with childcare, etc. The illegals normally spend little time at the temporary facilities before they are transferred someplace else.
I am glad we are in agreement with the inappropriate touching and the punishment they should receive.
The blame should not rest solely on the Democrats. They are not the ones in power at the White House. Trump needs to become more involved and accountable in what goes on in this country and do more to have his fellow Republicans join him in trying to find something better, other than to corral the women and children in the terrible way that they are, subjecting them to the obvious abuse they are receiving as is being reported.

I have always thought that the answer is in stopping the funding of Central American countries that treat their citizens so poorly and do little to nothing to help them. The fact that they are fleeing those countries and coming here can only mean that they are not receiving the help they should be getting from their respective governments. They are more than likely not receiving adequate food, proper medical care, money to help them out nor is their government assisting to keep the crime rate at bay. Women are constantly being threatened with rape or being raped as has been reported. Abuse, torture and even murder happens routinely. Why? More than likely because all of the money sent to them by the U.S. is not being used to help their citizens but is obviously going for some other use other than what it was intended for.

The U.S. should therefore immediately cease sending them money as we are not seeing a good return for that money and it is to the tune of not only Millions but Billions of dollars that are sent to them annually. Instead, use all of that money to properly house and feed the Undocumented Immigrants that come to the U.S. and provide for their proper medical care. Obviously, it would take too long to build new places to house them with that money as the need is immediate but the money would go a long way in buying or renting existing buildings to defray the overcrowding situation. I believe my proposal would be the good answer to this problem. Stop sending money to those countries where its citizens have no other recourse but to flee to the United States and instead help the undocumented immigrants when they arrive here. But also institute stronger border security but not a wall as that is not the answer. That way at least we would know where the money is actually going to and there could be some accountability that we are not seeing now by blindly sending it to countries that simply like to take and take but not give back to its citizens as is the intended purpose.

Feb 2018
Texas
I am glad we are in agreement with the inappropriate touching and the punishment they should receive.
The blame should not rest solely on the Democrats. They are not the ones in power at the White House. Trump needs to become more involved and accountable in what goes on in this country and do more to have his fellow Republicans join him in trying to find something better, other than to corral the women and children in the terrible way that they are, subjecting them to the obvious abuse they are receiving as is being reported.

I have always thought that the answer is in stopping the funding of Central American countries that treat their citizens so poorly and do little to nothing to help them. The fact that they are fleeing those countries and coming here can only mean that they are not receiving the help they should be getting from their respective governments. They are more than likely not receiving adequate food, proper medical care, money to help them out nor is their government assisting to keep the crime rate at bay. Women are constantly being threatened with rape or being raped as has been reported. Abuse, torture and even murder happens routinely. Why? More than likely because all of the money sent to them by the U.S. is not being used to help their citizens but is obviously going for some other use other than what it was intended for.

The U.S. should therefore immediately cease sending them money as we are not seeing a good return for that money and it is to the tune of not only Millions but Billions of dollars that are sent to them annually. Instead, use all of that money to properly house and feed the Undocumented Immigrants that come to the U.S. and provide for their proper medical care. Obviously, it would take too long to build new places to house them with that money as the need is immediate but the money would go a long way in buying or renting existing buildings to defray the overcrowding situation. I believe my proposal would be the good answer to this problem. Stop sending money to those countries where its citizens have no other recourse but to flee to the United States and instead help the undocumented immigrants when they arrive here. But also institute stronger border security but not a wall as that is not the answer. That way at least we would know where the money is actually going to and there could be some accountability that we are not seeing now by blindly sending it to countries that simply like to take and take but not give back to its citizens as is the intended purpose.

I agree with most of your points with the exception of building a wall and long term care of illegals. We are so overwhelmed that it's going to take years to slog through the backlog of those already here.

HayJenn

Jul 2014
CA
Ive given you the proof before, not going to waste my time again
Mmmmm

Here's how this gets muddled: Each year, Congress allocates a specific amount of funding for ICE's detention operations. Because the budget can be broken down by the cost per detainee, ICE and Congress can talk about that budget in terms of people, which they call the "average daily population," or ADP. This number doesn't necessarily correspond to actual people in cells, but rather the slots available for detention—which, in bureaucratic language, becomes the number of "beds" available for detaining people.

Of course, this doesn't mean that ICE adds or takes away beds based on how the budget changes. Think of it this way: A hypothetical ICE detention facility has 100 beds. But filling each of those beds is expensive, because detaining a human being comes with a lot of costs—for food, care, personnel, guards, and more. (According to ICE's 2018 budget report, it cost the agency an average of $133.99 per day to detain an adult.) So even though this hypothetical facility has 100 physical beds, ICE might only be funded for, say, 80 budgetary beds, meaning an ADP of 80. If ICE wants to detain 20 more people, it will ask for funding for "more beds." This isn't a budget for actual places for people to sleep, but rather the money to pay for the detention of those 20 additional people.

From 2012 to 2017, ICE was funded for an ADP of 34,000. But for the last two years, ICE has come back to Congress with a surprise: It had dramatically overspent its budget for detention. ICE was detaining significantly more people—upwards of 50,000. "Over the last couple years, ICE has overspent [its] budget that was allocated by Congress for detention," says Madhuri Grewal, the federal immigration policy counsel for the American Civil Liberties Union. "So over the last few years, Congress has gotten more specific and more aggressive about directing that funding, basically telling ICE to stop overspending."

However, on Monday, Democrats abandoned this proposed bed cap, after it met with strong opposition from ICE and Republicans. The Trump administration not only opposed the cap, but requested funding for an ADP of 52,000. A compromise was reached to keep ADP funding at current levels (42,520). But GOP leaders still hailed the compromise as a victory for Republicans, as the current bill allows ICE to divert funding from other agencies to support the detention of over 58,000 people if necessary.

https://psmag.com/news/the-shutdown-deal-includes-more-ice-detention-beds

So again, you are posting fake news.

Also nice how you keep ignoring that all of these horrible reports are coming from, again, Trump's own administration.

Yet people keep defending what is happening.

The cruelty is the point I guess.

Jul 2011
NYC/Москва
Mmmmm

Here's how this gets muddled: Each year, Congress allocates a specific amount of funding for ICE's detention operations. Because the budget can be broken down by the cost per detainee, ICE and Congress can talk about that budget in terms of people, which they call the "average daily population," or ADP. This number doesn't necessarily correspond to actual people in cells, but rather the slots available for detention—which, in bureaucratic language, becomes the number of "beds" available for detaining people.

Of course, this doesn't mean that ICE adds or takes away beds based on how the budget changes. Think of it this way: A hypothetical ICE detention facility has 100 beds. But filling each of those beds is expensive, because detaining a human being comes with a lot of costs—for food, care, personnel, guards, and more. (According to ICE's 2018 budget report, it cost the agency an average of $133.99 per day to detain an adult.) So even though this hypothetical facility has 100 physical beds, ICE might only be funded for, say, 80 budgetary beds, meaning an ADP of 80. If ICE wants to detain 20 more people, it will ask for funding for "more beds." This isn't a budget for actual places for people to sleep, but rather the money to pay for the detention of those 20 additional people.

From 2012 to 2017, ICE was funded for an ADP of 34,000. But for the last two years, ICE has come back to Congress with a surprise: It had dramatically overspent its budget for detention. ICE was detaining significantly more people—upwards of 50,000. "Over the last couple years, ICE has overspent [its] budget that was allocated by Congress for detention," says Madhuri Grewal, the federal immigration policy counsel for the American Civil Liberties Union. "So over the last few years, Congress has gotten more specific and more aggressive about directing that funding, basically telling ICE to stop overspending."

However, on Monday, Democrats abandoned this proposed bed cap, after it met with strong opposition from ICE and Republicans. The Trump administration not only opposed the cap, but requested funding for an ADP of 52,000. A compromise was reached to keep ADP funding at current levels (42,520). But GOP leaders still hailed the compromise as a victory for Republicans, as the current bill allows ICE to divert funding from other agencies to support the detention of over 58,000 people if necessary.

https://psmag.com/news/the-shutdown-deal-includes-more-ice-detention-beds

So again, you are posting fake news.

Also nice how you keep ignoring that all of these horrible reports are coming from, again, Trump's own administration.

Yet people keep defending what is happening.

The cruelty is the point I guess.

tl:dr

Democrats stood on custards hill over restricting beds then caved a little. This is fact.

I did notice your typical hysterics at the end....

Dec 2015
In Your Heart!
I agree with most of your points with the exception of building a wall and long term care of illegals. We are so overwhelmed that it's going to take years to slog through the backlog of those already here.
But that's what part of that tremendous amount of money would be used for instead of sending it to countries that cannot fully appreciate it to actually subsidize their citizen's needs such as to actually help them in a constructive way.

HayJenn

Jul 2014
CA
tl:dr

Democrats stood on custards hill over restricting beds then caved a little. This is fact.

I did notice your typical hysterics at the end....
So, again, fake news.

They gave up on the "bed" thing

And how is being very concerned about how people are being treated (especially little kids) in these dentition centers "hysterical"?

Maybe you and others apparently don't care how are we treating other human beings worse than some people treat their own dogs?

the watchman

Former Staff
Jul 2011
becoming more and more
So, again, fake news.

And how is being very concerned about how people are being treated (especially little kids) in these dentition centers "hysterical"?

Maybe you and others apparently don't care how are we treating other human beings worse than some people treat their own dogs?
I feel sorry for people who allow that kind of bitterness to stain their souls.

Jul 2011
NYC/Москва
So, again, fake news.

Ahh so you admit they wanted the caps.

Thanks for the concession, why did your party want caps?

And there you go again playing dumb like you cant understand the context of my posts....