Miners' union invites Democratic candidates to court coal workers

Dec 2015
In Your Heart!
The union's invitation to 23 presidential candidates comes as mining job losses continue under President Trump.
By Heidi Przybyla

"WASHINGTON — The United Mine Workers of America, the union representing mineworkers for nearly 130 years, has for the first time invited every Democratic presidential hopeful to tour a coal mine and to discuss their thoughts on finding a place for coal workers in their vision for the nation’s energy future."
"Mine workers were often the face of the “forgotten man” Trump vowed to prioritize in his 2016 insurgent campaign. As president, Trump has taken credit for what he has called a coal comeback after easing rules governing greenhouse gas emissions and the storage of toxic coal ash over the past two years."
"But the reality is far different. Coal production is expected to hit a record low in 2019, according to the U.S. Energy Information Administration, a nonpartisan agency. And today, there are fewer people employed by mine operators and contractors than there were under President Obama, according to the Department of Labor."

#######################################################################################
Of course miners want Democrats to dialog with since under Trump they are losing their jobs. Democrats are ready to talk with them and iron out what needs to be done in order to save mining jobs in the future and help the mining industry as a whole.

Jun 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
The union's invitation to 23 presidential candidates comes as mining job losses continue under President Trump.
By Heidi Przybyla

#######################################################################################
Of course miners want Democrats to dialog with since under Trump they are losing their jobs. Democrats are ready to talk with them and iron out what needs to be done in order to save mining jobs in the future and help the mining industry as a whole.

"Save mining jobs"? Coal mining is probably the biggest manmade environmental disaster ever to occur on U.S. soil. The whole industry needs to go away.

Appalachians need jobs, preferably ones that don't kill them in their 40's. Seems obvious, reclamation projects could offer the employment they need at wages they can live on.

The entire coal belt should be declared one big superfund site.

Jun 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
They are now waking up to the fact that Trump is not helping them one iota and the Democrats are their only hope.
Appalachians are well-used to being forgotten by our federal government. I predict no moderate Democrat will do fuck all for them, or even bother to promise to.

As long as they don't vote for Trump -- and you are right, they probably won't -- the moderate Democrats will be happy to ignore them AGAIN.

Dec 2015
In Your Heart!
Appalachians are well-used to being forgotten by our federal government. I predict no moderate Democrat will do fuck all for them, or even bother to promise to.

As long as they don't vote for Trump -- and you are right, they probably won't -- the moderate Democrats will be happy to ignore them AGAIN.
I doubt that. Miners are important to this country and Democrats will work with them to effect the changes that need to be made in order to keep them afloat. Don't be so pessimistic give them a chance this time around. What might not have happened before can sure happen next time around!

Apr 2012
Englewood,Ohio
They are now waking up to the fact that Trump is not helping them one iota and the Democrats are their only hope.
When your plant abruptly shuts down and no paychecks it does kind of make you think that Trump failed again.

Companies are ignoring Trump and his mob. Half of our energy now comes from clean sources. No matter how they try you can not turn back time.

Apr 2012
Englewood,Ohio
I doubt that. Miners are important to this country and Democrats will work with them to effect the changes that need to be made in order to keep them afloat. Don't be so pessimistic give them a chance this time around. What might not have happened before can sure happen next time around!
Training is essential. Most miners understand this. Those who do not voted for Trump.

Bernie Sanders and congressman from West Virginia told them flatly that coal was not coming back. I can still see that ignorant young man stand before the cameras saying,” I have been a coal miner all my life. I will die a coal miner!” You can not fix stupid.

May 2019
West Haven
Wait...What..... Hasn't Trump been telling us that he has increased coal mining jobs...bigly??
But seriously, most coal miners know that it is a dying sector. What they really need is someone who will give them the ability and education to transition into other jobs. And they know that Trump is just pandering and not doing any of the work needed to actually help them in the long run.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Maybe, maybe not. Remember WVA is solid red. It happened before Trump. Manchin holds on there because he is very moderate.