Miners' union invites Democratic candidates to court coal workers

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Return topsoil and replant the mountains which were stripmined. Remove coal sludge and safely dispose of it. Etc.

Cleaning up the coal belt blesses more than the Appalachians.
Issue there is cleaning up coal wont pay what they are used to getting. Plus they could use unskilled workers and pay them min wage to do that. They arent going to pay people 60K a year to return topsoil and replant the mountains.

Jun 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
That is their choice, so what can be done for them? There is no answer. They choose to live that way.
The children make no such choice. It is unethical to abandon them as we have.

The fact that changes there -- especially ones made by government -- will be met with resistence and suspicion is no excuse not to try.

No amount of aid to the poor will cure what ails Appalachia. Those people need good jobs so they can stop being poor.

Until that is addressed, norhing will improve.

Apr 2012
Englewood,Ohio
Issue there is cleaning up coal wont pay what they are used to getting. Plus they could use unskilled workers and pay them min wage to do that. They arent going to pay people 60K a year to return topsoil and replant the mountains.
Machines do that, the same way theynow dif coal.

Bajisima, i apologize if I offended you this morning but as a person who had to start fresh many times in my life
I have little patience with those who expect someone to fix things for them. Welfare brought much more poverty. I was pleased when Clinton and Gingrich gave work requirements and a 3 year time limit on welfare.

There are those who live their lives expecting some one, any one to make things better. We know it can not be done, and I bet your Union members would tell you the same.

Have you ever heard that Church members are the Church’s worst problem? Well I think Union members who voted Republican, whined about paying Union dues. Well, they brought about the demise of the Unions that built those high paying jobs. I add on that greedy Union bosses got in bed with the companies. The same way CEO’s destroyed their companies.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Machines do that, the same way theynow dif coal.

Bajisima, i apologize if I offended you this morning but as a person who had to start fresh many times in my life
I have little patience with those who expect someone to fix things for them. Welfare brought much more poverty. I was pleased when Clinton and Gingrich gave work requirements and a 3 year time limit on welfare.

There are those who live their lives expecting some one, any one to make things better. We know it can not be done, and I bet your Union members would tell you the same.

Have you ever heard that Church members are the Church’s worst problem? Well I think Union members who voted Republican, whined about paying Union dues. Well, they brought about the demise of the Unions that built those high paying jobs. I add on that greedy Union bosses got in bed with the companies. The same way CEO’s destroyed their companies.
No offense taken, we all are entitled to our views and have different life experiences. :) I just wish more was done for the miners, UAW and others decades ago. It wasnt like we didnt see the end of coal coming a long time ago. Yet nobody really did anything. Many of the coal miners claim NAFTA hurt them too. Its amazing how the blue collar workforce views that as sort of the lynch pin of when everything went downhill. I think we are doing a similar thing with robots and automation. Its coming and its a great thing but we arent beginning to retrain workers. There will be far fewer workers in stores, restaurants and in factories due to automation. Yet few are calling for help, If we dont begin helping them, they will be angry in another decade.

Read recently about that GM plant in Lordstown and they were saying if that new company moves in, the pay might be half what it was. People looked angry. One lady was saying she cant sell her house and has to stay because her mom lives with her and is in hospice. Felt bad for her. She has both her own kids and her mother living with her and she is out of a job.

As for the union workers I know, they are mad at both parties. They feel the GOP under Trump has been all talk but at least he is inept and hasnt harmed them. They are mad at the Dems because they dont want to hear about reparations and healthcare for immigrants. They feel they are being ignored again. So buckle up, 2020 is going to get ugly!

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
The children make no such choice. It is unethical to abandon them as we have.

The fact that changes there -- especially ones made by government -- will be met with resistence and suspicion is no excuse not to try.

No amount of aid to the poor will cure what ails Appalachia. Those people need good jobs so they can stop being poor.

Until that is addressed, norhing will improve.
Many of the youth have left this area because there is nothing there for them. Others sadly are caught up in the opioid crisis and are hopelessly addicted. Just like up here as well. We had a bit of a reprieve last year but now it seems overdoses are rising again.

Feb 2011
Boise, ID
I think you'd be better off going on radio silence, instead of openly admitting that you don't give a flying French fart as to WHY the coal industry is dying.
The topic is about Democrats' political inability to appeal to coal miners after years of admittedly yearning to shut coal down ASAP. The real reason coal is declining, i.e. how much is due to government action and how much due to the market, doesn't really change the substance of this issue, which is Democrats' having no workable inroads to win over coal miners.
Forget about the Green New Deal. It is another gimmick.
I said "GND-like" policies. Even setting that one aside, they have positions on climate change and energy that would seek to shut this all down ASAP.
And climate change is real, needs to be addressed.
That's not the point.
Smart politicians would go with the progressives. You just nullified your position.
No, I was responding to Madeline who said avoiding coal miners is morally indefensible.
Yes, they swallowed his lies! Now they are facing facts. Trump did nothing but dirty their air , it was already awful, and the jobs are gone, poof!
Trump failing to save them all (but claiming to be trying or wanting to) is still going to appeal to a lot of them more than an admitted yearning to shut them all down ASAP.
Democrats are killing nothing.
They are taking up positions that actively seek to shut down coal. It's not like this is some secret or a conspiracy theory. They proudly say so. They do not and cannot support anything that would allow for continuation of coal, as that can't be reconciled with any Democratic position on climate change.
You never heard of learning new skills? What a mentality you have. Millions of people train for new jobs when their old jobs go. Do you actually think peoples brains atrophy at the age of 50?
Read my prior posts. I've spoken to this repeatedly. Just read.

Apr 2012
Englewood,Ohio
No offense taken, we all are entitled to our views and have different life experiences. :) I just wish more was done for the miners, UAW and others decades ago. It wasnt like we didnt see the end of coal coming a long time ago. Yet nobody really did anything. Many of the coal miners claim NAFTA hurt them too. Its amazing how the blue collar workforce views that as sort of the lynch pin of when everything went downhill. I think we are doing a similar thing with robots and automation. Its coming and its a great thing but we arent beginning to retrain workers. There will be far fewer workers in stores, restaurants and in factories due to automation. Yet few are calling for help, If we dont begin helping them, they will be angry in another decade.

Read recently about that GM plant in Lordstown and they were saying if that new company moves in, the pay might be half what it was. People looked angry. One lady was saying she cant sell her house and has to stay because her mom lives with her and is in hospice. Felt bad for her. She has both her own kids and her mother living with her and she is out of a job.

As for the union workers I know, they are mad at both parties. They feel the GOP under Trump has been all talk but at least he is inept and hasnt harmed them. They are mad at the Dems because they dont want to hear about reparations and healthcare for immigrants. They feel they are being ignored again. So buckle up, 2020 is going to get ugly![/QUOTE
Many of the youth have left this area because there is nothing there for them. Others sadly are caught up in the opioid crisis and are hopelessly addicted. Just like up here as well. We had a bit of a reprieve last year but now it seems overdoses are rising again.
The job market is always changing. there is nothing any one can do. You adapt or do not.

Just picked up James Patterson book, “ Filthy Rich, “ at the Library.j Jeffrey Epstein.:)

Apr 2012
Englewood,Ohio
The topic is about Democrats' political inability to appeal to coal miners after years of admittedly yearning to shut coal down ASAP. The real reason coal is declining, i.e. how much is due to government action and how much due to the market, doesn't really change the substance of this issue, which is Democrats' having no workable inroads to win over coal miners.

I said "GND-like" policies. Even setting that one aside, they have positions on climate change and energy that would seek to shut this all down ASAP.

That's not the point.

No, I was responding to Madeline who said avoiding coal miners is morally indefensible.

Trump failing to save them all (but claiming to be trying or wanting to) is still going to appeal to a lot of them more than an admitted yearning to shut them all down ASAP.

They are taking up positions that actively seek to shut down coal. It's not like this is some secret or a conspiracy theory. They proudly say so. They do not and cannot support anything that would allow for continuation of coal, as that can't be reconciled with any Democratic position on climate change.

Read my prior posts. I've spoken to this repeatedly. Just read.
Climate change is very much the point! The young know it is taking place and they are demanding politicians address it.
As I said in another post, you can not fix stupid. Democrats are progressive. Republicans believe they can maintain the status oor go back 50 years. Smart people know that is not going to happen. No matter how much you lame Democrats.

Voters are now realizing that.