Miners' union invites Democratic candidates to court coal workers

Jun 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
Of course. That is also in keeping with what Jesus expects for us to do to help our fellow man which Republicans sadly seem to not be cognizant of or even care about.
We owe Appalachians good jobs, not hand outs.

Feb 2011
Boise, ID
Climate change is very much the point! The young know it is taking place and they are demanding politicians address it.
As I said in another post, you can not fix stupid. Democrats are progressive. Republicans believe they can maintain the status oor go back 50 years. Smart people know that is not going to happen. No matter how much you lame Democrats.

Voters are now realizing that.
You're just banging the drum of partisan liberal arrogance that ensures Democrats cannot appeal to coal miners. "Climate change is real! Coal is dead! You're all stupid! We'll promise to help you start over in a new career but you don't appreciate us, which just goes to show how stupid you are!"

This is why I said Democrats would be better off just avoiding acknowledging coal miners at all.

Jun 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
Climate change is very much the point! The young know it is taking place and they are demanding politicians address it.
As I said in another post, you can not fix stupid. Democrats are progressive. Republicans believe they can maintain the status oor go back 50 years. Smart people know that is not going to happen. No matter how much you lame Democrats.

Voters are now realizing that.
Monetizing climate change efforts so friends of the Clinton Cabal can reap obscene profits is NOT "progressive".

Cap and trade is deceitful, fraudulent, ineffective and corrupt.

Jun 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
You're just banging the drum that ensures Democrats cannot appeal to coal miners. "Climate change is real! Coal is dead! You're all stupid!"

This is why I said Democrats would be better off just avoiding acknowledging coal miners at all.
Appalachians won't be better off. These citizens fully deserve federal tax dollars invested in infrastructure, reclamation, etc. in that area to bring good jobs back to the region.

Apr 2012
Englewood,Ohio
You're just banging the drum of partisan liberal arrogance that ensures Democrats cannot appeal to coal miners. "Climate change is real! Coal is dead! You're all stupid! We'll promise to help you start over in a new career but you don't appreciate us, which just goes to show how stupid you are!"

I an not a spokesman for the Democratic party. It bothers me not at all when I state facts
Coal is a dying source of energy, has been for many years. This is my opinion. You want to pretend I am a liar? Have fun. Anyone not smart enough to deal with facts have the problem, not me.

I might also add that I saw Trump for the con man he is the first time I knew who he was.

Feb 2011
Boise, ID
I an not a spokesman for the Democratic party. It bothers me not at all when I state facts
Coal is a dying source of energy, has been for many years. This is my opinion. You want to pretend I am a liar?
I'm not suggesting anything you've said is a lie, I'm just trying to get my point to be understood. People keep arguing tangents to what I'm saying. "But climate change IS real!" Not the point. "But Trump hasn't saved coal!" Also not the point. "But coal is fading because of natural market forces!" Also not the point.

My point is Democrats have zero (or weak) political inroads with middle American blue collar workers that came out strong for Trump in 2016. They're in a crowded primary where they're all trying to out-liberal one another for attention from progressive idealists and coastal elites, but in so doing, they are populating Trump's list of zingers and talking points against them throughout the entirety of middle America. It's as though the progressive idealists and coastal elites really cannot make any ideological connections with the grungy middle-age midwest blue collar union household types of people, and when they fail to connect, they become frustrated and start hurling insults about how they're all a bunch of stupid, "deplorable" anti-science scum. This leftist arrogance digs their hole deeper.

How many midwest blue collar type votes (of which they need to convert a decent number from Trump to win in 2020) are they risking losing by appealing so hard to the far left during the primaries?

That's the crux of this issue, really. Not "is climate change real," or any of these other bunny trails.

Last edited:
Apr 2012
Englewood,Ohio
I'm not suggesting anything you've said is a lie, I'm just trying to get my point to be understood. People keep arguing tangents to what I'm saying. "But climate change IS real!" Not the point. "But Trump hasn't saved coal!" Also not the point. "But coal is fading because of natural market forces!" Also not the point.

My point is Democrats have zero (or weak) political inroads with middle American blue collar workers that came out strong for Trump in 2016. They're in a crowded primary where they're all trying to out-liberal one another for attention from progressive idealists and coastal elites, but in so doing, they are populating Trump's list of zingers and talking points against them throughout the entirety of middle America. It's as though the progressive idealists and coastal elites really cannot make any ideological connections with the grungy middle-age midwest blue collar union household types of people, and when they fail to connect, they become frustrated and start hurling insults about how they're all a bunch of stupid, "deplorable" anti-science scum. This leftist arrogance digs their hole deeper.

How many midwest blue collar type votes (of which they need to convert a decent number from Trump to win in 2020) are they risking losing by appealing so hard to the far left during the primaries?

That's the crux of this issue, really. Not "is climate change real," or any of these other bunny trails.
The Primary will thin out soon. Once a candidate is chosen they will present their case, what they want to do.

It has to be geared to all workers, not a few special Interests. I actually like Kamala Harris until her pre planned attack about busing on Biden. Then Booker joined in.

Voters do not care about what happened 50 years ago. Most were not alive then. Those who were have said it was a colossal. mistake. Others could care less. They want to hear what needs to be done now.

If, Democrats take off on just special interests again, ignore the working middle class they will fail again.

The statement about fixing stupid is mine alone, not the Democratic party. Those are my observations as one who had to start over a few times. Everyone needs a hand up, not life time support.

I grew up among people, my family thought welfare was a disgrace. I still feel that way. But understand I am simply stating how I feel, no one else.

I have stated many times I dislike the far left as much as the far right. Why is that so hard to understand? You keep throwing what others do. I am a moderate Democrat, at times even conservative.

That is my story, I am sticking to it.:) There are many on this board far more left than I am. They speak for themselves.

Feb 2011
Boise, ID
The Primary will thin out soon. Once a candidate is chosen they will present their case, what they want to do.

It has to be geared to all workers, not a few special Interests.
"All workers" is far too simplistic. Most of the time, what is especially good for one industry or sector is generally good for workers in those sectors, but not necessarily so good for some other industries/sectors or the workers in those sectors.

Democrats are usually in bed with union leaders, who are essentially a massive interest group known as "Big Labor." Big Labor usually claims to speak for "all workers," but that is extremely debatable, and sometimes they aren't even really speaking for their own members, they're speaking for themselves and the Big Labor power structure. So just because Democrats are rolling out proposals that are alleged to "help all workers" doesn't mean anyone should believe them or take their word for it.

Apr 2012
Englewood,Ohio
"All workers" is far too simplistic. Most of the time, what is especially good for one industry or sector is generally good for workers in those sectors, but not necessarily so good for some other industries/sectors or the workers in those sectors.

Democrats are usually in bed with union leaders, who are essentially a massive interest group known as "Big Labor." Big Labor usually claims to speak for "all workers," but that is extremely debatable, and sometimes they aren't even really speaking for their own members, they're speaking for themselves and the Big Labor power structure. So just because Democrats are rolling out proposals that are alleged to "help all workers" doesn't mean anyone should believe them or take their word for it.
Now you are Union bashing Since my adult life has been thanks to a Union, and now 30 years for my Engineering Son, who was able to retire early, I am gone, that adds up to 60 years,Bye.

Apr 2018
Northern end of Lake Erie
Land reclamation. Toxic waste handling. Environmental science.

Etc.

If the able-bodied in Appalachia could earn a secure, midfle class wage, all sorts of new jobs would be created there.
Yeah, temporary makework jobs that last only a few years. Try again. I'm talking PERMANENT jobs where people can work 30-40 years and out. Got a problem with that?!?!?!?!