Miners' union invites Democratic candidates to court coal workers

May 2019
The Wine Country
Hows about this?

Since they are unwilling to learn modern skills, we create a make-work welfare program where half of them dig the coal and the other half puts it back.

At full UMW wages!

That way, they can still have the dignity of being constantly filthy and gasping out their lives through Black Lung Disease.

And maybe ... just maybe ... they'll stop whining.

It's win-win!

Dec 2015
In Your Heart!
These people have been neglected fir CENTURIES. Their trust in D.C. is zero.

Helping them is going to require more than happy slogans.
Of course. But if Republicans don't pitch in and do their part to help them as they should what will they really have being that Republicans are in control of the White House and Senate at the moment?

Apr 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Hows about this?

Since they are unwilling to learn modern skills, we create a make-work welfare program where half of them dig the coal and the other half puts it back.

At full UMW wages!

That way, they can still have the dignity of being constantly filthy and gasping out their lives through Black Lung Disease.

And maybe ... just maybe ... they'll stop whining.

It's win-win!

Unwilling to learn modern skills? This is telling a 50 year old man with a family that he can't have the job that supported him anymore and his family and giving him a $25,000 a year entry level job in coding as a consolation prize.

May 2019
The Wine Country
See?

You didn't even read it.

I offered full UMW wages with benefits. Everything they want.

Half will be free to go into their mines and bring out all the coal they want.

And the other half will carry it back into the mine and rearrange it for future excavation.

Think of it as a work training program in the art of Feng Shui.

Jun 2007
Ohio
No, and I don’t think I’m being at all sentimental, nor do I think we should go out of our way to preserve/save the coal industry. It’s just that Democrats and their most partisan apologists can easily be made to look like complete asses when they gloat about Trump failing to save coal, or when they arrogantly and disingenuously act like they have a soft spot for coal workers and act like they’re wanting to do them nice favors, despite being anti-coal to the bone.

They’d be better off going on radio silence and dodging and avoiding coal-related confrontations like the plague.
Trump is the most arrogant person on the planet, yet people are so intolerant of Democrats doing a fraction of the same behavior they'd vote for Satan himself if that's who was on the opposing ticket.

I really don't get that. What is it about liberals that the right just can't stand to let them "win" anything?

Jun 2007
Ohio
I very much agree with the idea of retraining programs, but I also know that WVA has attempted to get retraining programs in and there were no takers. Companies dont want to be there. Outside of coal, their biggest employer is the Dollar Store. Its a bit problematic. Homer Laughlin has extensive retraining programs there but the jobs pay less than half what the miners used to get.
I've slowly been reading some of this man's blog (he also wrote a book that was well received) that addresses the myriad of issues that have caused the decline of coal and left coal country in poverty.

The boom and bust cycles of coal markets have always worked to the advantage of coal companies more than Appalachian communities. In some of Central Appalachia’s coal-producing counties, over 90% of the mineral rights are owned by absentee owners—owners who manipulate local and state governments to keep property taxes low on their holdings. When markets are up, coal companies open mines and extract coal as quickly and cheaply as possible, often to the detriment of both miners and the environment.

When the markets are down, they idle or close their mines, file bankruptcy to get out of mine reclamation costs and/or debts to their employees (including healthcare) before finally restructuring (renaming) their corporations to prepare for the next spike in coal prices.

During these lulls in the coal markets, high unemployment rates contribute to deepening poverty in mountain communities. We witness a continued downward spiral into poverty, complete with all its many symptoms: substandard housing, depression and other mental health issues, and substance abuse. Without property tax revenues from absentee mining and land holding companies, local governments face budget crisis after budget crisis when coal severance taxes dry up. Fire departments, rescue squads, and law enforcement agencies all find themselves having to do more with less. Budget shortfalls in public education also impact the social mobility of the area’s youth, young men and women who find themselves graduating school without job opportunities or a chance of going to college. Local infrastructure continues to deteriorate, including water distribution, transportation, and waste disposal.
He's a former coal miner. He's quite objective about the culture, the business and the environment.

Thoughts of a Coal Miner