Miners' union invites Democratic candidates to court coal workers

Dec 2015
In Your Heart!
Miners' union invites Democratic candidates to court coal workers
The union's invitation to 23 presidential candidates comes as mining job losses continue under President Trump.
By Heidi Przybyla

"WASHINGTON — The United Mine Workers of America, the union representing mineworkers for nearly 130 years, has for the first time invited every Democratic presidential hopeful to tour a coal mine and to discuss their thoughts on finding a place for coal workers in their vision for the nation’s energy future."
"Mine workers were often the face of the “forgotten man” Trump vowed to prioritize in his 2016 insurgent campaign. As president, Trump has taken credit for what he has called a coal comeback after easing rules governing greenhouse gas emissions and the storage of toxic coal ash over the past two years."
"But the reality is far different. Coal production is expected to hit a record low in 2019, according to the U.S. Energy Information Administration, a nonpartisan agency. And today, there are fewer people employed by mine operators and contractors than there were under President Obama, according to the Department of Labor."

#######################################################################################
Of course miners want Democrats to dialog with since under Trump they are losing their jobs. Democrats are ready to talk with them and iron out what needs to be done in order to save mining jobs in the future and help the mining industry as a whole.