Minimum Wage, Nick Hanauer

Babylon

Former Staff
Apr 2007
Jersey
I Have been against raising the minimum wage to $15, and probably still am. My stance is and has been, that Corporation will never lose. Whatever happens, they will find a way to get theirs.

This guy makes a lot of sense.

[video=youtube;RTNXzQZD-wY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTNXzQZD-wY[/video]

NiteGuy

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Teardrop City
Nick Hanauer has been talking about this for YEARS.

The Pitchforks Are Coming? For Us Plutocrats - POLITICO Magazine

Now this a long article - some 4 pages. But Hanauer makes his point, with the numbers and statistics to back up his claims. And then he shows what's likely to happen if the middle and lower classes don't get a bigger stake in the country's economy:

The oldest and most important conflict in human societies is the battle over the concentration of wealth and power. The folks like us at the top have always told those at the bottom that our respective positions are righteous and good for all. Historically, we called that divine right. Today we have trickle-down economics.

What nonsense this is. Am I really such a superior person? Do I belong at the center of the moral as well as economic universe? Do you?

My family, the Hanauers, started in Germany selling feathers and pillows. They got chased out of Germany by Hitler and ended up in Seattle owning another pillow company. Three generations later, I benefited from that. Then I got as lucky as a person could possibly get in the Internet age by having a buddy in Seattle named Bezos. I look at the average Joe on the street, and I say, “There but for the grace of Jeff go I.” Even the best of us, in the worst of circumstances, are barefoot, standing by a dirt road, selling fruit. We should never forget that, or forget that the United States of America and its middle class made us, rather than the other way around.

Or we could sit back, do nothing, enjoy our yachts. And wait for the pitchforks.

The Pitchforks Are Coming? For Us Plutocrats - POLITICO Magazine

Oct 2011
Washington State
I Have been against raising the minimum wage to $15, and probably still am. My stance is and has been, that Corporation will never lose. Whatever happens, they will find a way to get theirs.

This guy makes a lot of sense.

[video=youtube;RTNXzQZD-wY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTNXzQZD-wY[/video]
Your video won't play for me. Doesn't matter, I get it.

Here's the question that needs to be answered by those against raising the minimum wage and who want a smaller government:

Do you want smaller government with less handouts or do you want a low minimum wage? Because you can't have both. If a guy flips burgers 40 hours a week and can't survive without food stamps we are defeated our purpose.

.....and don't give me this bullshit that McDonalds is going to automate and use robots to serve their customers their food because if it made any financial sense they would have done it by now.

I'm tired of subsidizing corporations, how about you?

Feb 2011
Boise, ID
Your video won't play for me. Doesn't matter, I get it.

Here's the question that needs to be answered by those against raising the minimum wage and who want a smaller government:

Do you want smaller government with less handouts or do you want a low minimum wage?
Do you want to die next week in car accident, or do you want to vote Republican?

If a guy flips burgers 40 hours a week and can't survive without food stamps we are defeated our purpose.
A guy who gets food stamps and thus can survive regardless of whether he works or not is therefore afforded the freedom to accept a job that pays shit.

.....and don't give me this bullshit that McDonalds is going to automate and use robots to serve their customers their food because if it made any financial sense they would have done it by now.
You have a hard time thinking critically, don't you? As minimum wage rises, it makes more and more financial sense to automate. As technology becomes more affordable, it makes more and more financial sense to automate. Both of these things are occurring over time. Inevitably.

Which maybe that's great! Maybe we should encourage it to be adopted faster. But then don't give me this bullshit that all your prattle is about some concern for the economic well-being of the poor generally.

I'm tired of subsidizing corporations, how about you?
Companies that pay minimum wage are not typically the ones you're subsidizing. This is standard elementary rhetoric.

Feb 2011
Boise, ID
"HANAUER: The idea that drives that is this incredible, insidious, repeated thing, which is, if jobs go up, employment goes down. If wages go up, employment goes down.…

And the thing is that it has been repeated endlessly in our country and the facts are there is no evidence for this whatsoever...
"

That's because we haven't done it, Nick. You can't have "evidence" of something you haven't done. There isn't "evidence" of anything concerning a wage hike to, for example, $15 an hour, which you and your "think tank" have advocated. All one can do in these cases is make an objective, non-partisan, informed projection or estimate. And for that, one of the places we can look is the Congressional Budget Office, which projects job losses as a result of raising the minimum wage. And the CBO's overall message is supportive of raising the minimum wage, it's just that the CBO is objective about it, acknowledging it kills some jobs along the way, whereas objectivity is kryptonite for hyper-biased progressive think tanks.

Should we blindly believe the progressive think tank Nick the Venture Capitalist founded more than the CBO?

Last edited:
Jul 2013
Nashville, TN
Like Australia?

$
17.29 per hour

The national minimum wage is currently $17.29 per hour or $656.90 per 38 hour week (before tax). Casual employees covered by the national minimum wage also get at least a 25 per cent casual loading.
Australia Unemployment Rate | 1978-2016 | Data | Chart | Calendar

5.8%

Australia's unemployment rate has beaten market expectations to fall to its lowest rate since the federal Coalition came to power in 2013. At 5.7 per cent, the March rate is the lowest rate since September 2013 and defied the predictions of economists who had expected a rise to 5.9% in March from 5.8% in February.Apr 14, 2016
In your infinite wisdom, when is Australia going to suffer its massive unemployment increases from its $17.29 minimum wage? Enlighten us oh economic genius and guru?

Feb 2011
Boise, ID
Like Australia?

Australia Unemployment Rate | 1978-2016 | Data | Chart | Calendar

In your infinite wisdom, when is Australia going to suffer its massive unemployment increases from its $17.29 minimum wage? Enlighten us oh economic genius and guru?
What is with all your histrionic drama queen language? No one here claimed "massive unemployment increases."

How has unemployment been trending over the past 8-10 years in Australia, concurrent with the annual increases in national minimum wage? How has the part-time to full-time employment ratio trended over that period of time there?

No one needs "infinite wisdom" and to be an "economic genius and guru." Just need to be objective, calm, rational, ask yourself intelligent questions, read a little, and not be a hyper-biased drama queen.

Last edited:
Oct 2011
Washington State
Do you want to die next week in car accident, or do you want to vote Republican?
Whatever the fuck that means, Neo. Not surprised by that comment. You like your new racist leader?

A guy who gets food stamps and thus can survive regardless of whether he works or not is therefore afforded the freedom to accept a job that pays shit.
No, a guy that works 40 hours a week shouldn't have to need food stamps. Don't you get it, were subsidizing those at the top.

You have a hard time thinking critically, don't you? As minimum wage rises, it makes more and more financial sense to automate. As technology becomes more affordable, it makes more and more financial sense to automate. Both of these things are occurring over time. Inevitably.
You have trouble thinking sensibly, don't you? Again, If it made sense they would have done it by now.

Which maybe that's great! Maybe we should encourage it to be adopted faster
Who's we? Speak for yourself.

But then don't give me this bullshit that all your prattle is about some concern for the economic well-being of the poor generally.
No bullshit there. Jesus Christ, what is wrong with you?

Companies that pay minimum wage are not typically the ones you're subsidizing. This is standard elementary rhetoric.
I think your elementary. Like in Elementary School.