Misadventures in Fact Checking

Mar 2015
Istanbul NOT Constantinople...
He also said, exact words...
Meet the Press Transcript - July 20, 2014 - NBC News

Which was unverifiable then and was false when it was given a positive score by the so called fact checker.
He had already indicated that this was a specific lot of weapons.....in the same interview, even.

The argument against that is weak.

*Oh, I just did a search. I see why Republicans worked themselves into a frenzy after this statement made in 2014 -- three years ago. No way Assad obtained more or that Kerry meant that "there were no more weapons" in Syria. It's the Republican narrative, I must support this position OR DIE.

Last edited:
Mar 2015
Oh come on... trump talks about something Obama said on video, deemed mostly false. Clinton says something that "can't be confirmed one way or the other", deemed mostly true.

Yet, there's no bias?
No, not the way that you are attempting to portray it. I stand by my statement, that Republicans live in fear of being called out on their bullshit "stories" that are concocted en masse by hoards of ravenous bloggers who seemingly live to hear what they want to hear.

My favorite right-wing nutter is Jerome R. Corsi who never met a fake story, that he did not steel and run off with for a profit.

Unfit For Command: Swift Boat Veterans Speak Out Against John Kerry: One of the most irresponsible and shamelessly partisan smear jobs to ever help sway an election. Corsi is liar, a flat out fraud as a supposed "authority" on any political subject and a despicable human being.

Corsi's books are notoriously long on opinion and criminally short on facts. His method of using unnamed sources for often his book's most damning accusations, speaks volumes about his shoddy attempts to put anything approaching acceptable journalism. At best, Corsi is an opportunistic con man, with no compunction whatsoever about smearing innocent people or ruining the lives of his political targets.

Macduff will not talk about this type of egregious snake oil buffoonery and instead will point to modest blunders by politicians or barely discernible errors with regards to subjects deemed MOSTLY true or mostly false.

Last edited:
Oct 2014
C-A-N-A-D-A-Eh
No, not the way that you are attempting to portray it. I stand by my statement, that Republicans live in fear of being called out on their bullshit "stories" that are concocted en masse by hoards of ravenous bloggers who seemingly live to hear what they want to hear.

My favorite right-wing nutter is Jerome R. Corsi who never met a fake story, that he did not steel and run off with for a profit.
Yes, it was literally that bad... unfortunate that politifact removed that page. Trump literally paraphrased a quote that Obama made on video, politifact tried to claim the quote did not exist... meanwhile, something that politifact acknowledged could not be proven one way or the other was mostly true.

Now, corsi is one of those people who makes fairly nuanced points that can easily be taken off context, especially when countered by people who only see issues in black or white. That said, you're not wrong in the sense that he'll take on even stuff that turns out false.... that's why it's always useful looking at and addressing the issues / facts / arguments raised, rather than just dismissing the person.

Mar 2015
Yes, it was literally that bad... unfortunate that politifact removed that page. Trump literally paraphrased a quote that Obama made on video, politifact tried to claim the quote did not exist... meanwhile, something that politifact acknowledged could not be proven one way or the other was mostly true.

Now, corsi is one of those people who makes fairly nuanced points that can easily be taken off context, especially when countered by people who only see issues in black or white. That said, you're not wrong in the sense that he'll take on even stuff that turns out false.... that's why it's always useful looking at and addressing the issues / facts / arguments raised, rather than just dismissing the person.
Horse crap, Corsi is so awful that he deserves his own category for political witch hunts Nazi-era-like profane smear jobs. "Where's the Birth Certificate?" was a shameful exercise in misleading, poorly framed and dishonest charges that was probably the most laughable piece of garbage ever cobbled together under a single binder. Did you forget about that or are you one of five people who actually still believes that Obama was born in Kenya?

Oct 2014
C-A-N-A-D-A-Eh
Horse crap, Corsi is so awful that he deserves his own category for political witch hunts Nazi-era-like profane smear jobs. "Where's the Birth Certificate?" was a shameful exercise in misleading, poorly framed and dishonest charges that was probably the most laughable piece of garbage ever cobbled together under a single binder. Did you forget about that or are you one of five people who actually still believes that Obama was born in Kenya?
This is exactly what I'm talking about, take a nuanced perspective, throw it in a box and attack the box.

I never "believed" that Obama was born in Kenya; I likely discussed the 3 (or more) speeches that Michelle o. Gave talking about his Kenyan origins, the papers that Obama wrote while in law school discussing how he came from Kenya, and other factors that were odd at best...

So, when you look at the birth certificate PDFs that Obama put on the whitehouse page, it was a child level forgery... Now, I don't know if any of the actual DATA was altered, but the document was created not to END the debate about obama's origins, but rather to throw gas on the fire, so to speak, about the debates. When ANY of that evidence would have been destroyed had the person that created the document did Layers-> flatten.

This will likely seem out of left field, but when you see these types of unusual, unnecessary, yet seemingly intentional cases of apparent self-incrimination, you know that is just the cover story, or the red herring to keep the focus away from what is important.
*** (this is important not just in the scope of this thread that's why it was highlighted this way)

But, I don't want to get into that debate again, because, every other time, it's become not about the document but about ME, while most flat refuse to even examine the document.

However, again, you're not necessarily wrong about Corsi, he's jumped on some bandwagons early and was wrong about them, but that doesn't mean everything he says is automatically false...

Mar 2015
This is exactly what I'm talking about, take a nuanced perspective, throw it in a box and attack the box.

I never "believed" that Obama was born in Kenya; I likely discussed the 3 (or more) speeches that Michelle o. Gave talking about his Kenyan origins, the papers that Obama wrote while in law school discussing how he came from Kenya, and other factors that were odd at best...

So, when you look at the birth certificate PDFs that Obama put on the whitehouse page, it was a child level forgery... Now, I don't know if any of the actual DATA was altered, but the document was created not to END the debate about obama's origins, but rather to throw gas on the fire, so to speak, about the debates. When ANY of that evidence would have been destroyed had the person that created the document did Layers-> flatten.

This will likely seem out of left field, but when you see these types of unusual, unnecessary, yet seemingly intentional cases of apparent self-incrimination, you know that is just the cover story, or the red herring to keep the focus away from what is important.
*** (this is important not just in the scope of this thread that's why it was highlighted this way)

But, I don't want to get into that debate again, because, every other time, it's become not about the document but about ME, while most flat refuse to even examine the document.

However, again, you're not necessarily wrong about Corsi, he's jumped on some bandwagons early and was wrong about them, but that doesn't mean everything he says is automatically false...
Oh, I see, because it had "layers."

(yawn)

You do realize that Adobe released a statement saying that the layers were normal? Several problemes with the "Long form birther" crowd.

#1 none of us ever looked at the actual BC, only a copy of a picture that was converted and scanned and then put into PDF form.

Most birthers are too stupid to understand that, though.