Misadventures in Fact Checking

Nov 2006
They recommend a self-breast check for every woman under the age of 45 (unless the women have a history of breast cancer in her family). After that, they recommend both. Maybe you don't understand that lot of PP's in areas where there are not a lot of ob/gyn's and therefore they use PP? Why you call them a hack organization is beyond me. They literally help so many people in this country.
For every pregnancy they help women terminate they probably prevent 50 unwanted pregnancies, that just makes his blood boil.

boontito

Future Staff
Jan 2008
Most Insidious
Snopes has been caught repeatedly “fact-checking” the satirical Christian website, Babylon Bee — a bizarre move, given that the website openly advertises itself as a satire site.
Report: Snopes' Ongoing Legal Battles Makes 'Fact-Checking' More Difficult | Breitbart
I love it when satire flies over the heads of the ignorant. Nice to see people toppled from their high horse now and then.

Here's a fun thread dedicated to that happening here at PH. Enjoy...

https://politicalhotwire.com/threads/newsflash-this-just-in-it-just-keeps-happening.96275/

Oct 2014
C-A-N-A-D-A-Eh
I'm still amazed how many people even trust fact checkers...

They put the result on top, knowing the average person doesn't read past the headline. Then they write up some nonsense that often proves the claim false, and then comes to the conclusion.

Ex: claim: water is dry.
We find : True.

Over the course of our examination, we noticed the wetness of water. Our conclusion, water is dry.

(They almost get that bad)

Mar 2015
Mad Prophet
I'm still amazed how many people even trust fact checkers...

They put the result on top, knowing the average person doesn't read past the headline. Then they write up some nonsense that often proves the claim false, and then comes to the conclusion.

Ex: claim: water is dry.
We find : True.

Over the course of our examination, we noticed the wetness of water. Our conclusion, water is dry.

(They almost get that bad)
Someone actually said that "water was dry?" Amazing.

Jul 2011
Old NYC/DMS
This thread is to post examples of both snopes and politifacts lies and misinformation. I hope this thread becomes a reference to discredit the use of these extremely biased sources who should be relegated to infowars and newsmax status

Ill go first.

“Trump says VA gov Ralph Northam talked about ‘after the baby was born the Dr will talk to the mother and make a decision about whether the baby lives.’ We rated his similar claim about abortion False,” PolitiFact tweeted in a live fact-check of Trump’s rally.

Trump falsely claims Northam said he'd let doctors 'execute' newborns

Then there is:

“the infant would be delivered. The infant would be kept comfortable. The infant would be resuscitated if that’s what the mother and the family desired, and then a discussion would ensue between the physicians and mother.”

Jul 2011
Old NYC/DMS
Snopes example on nathan phllips. They say his claim of being a vietnam vet is unproven:

Did Nathan Phillips Falsely Claim He Was a Vietnam Veteran?

Yet:

“"I'm a Vietnam vet, you know," Phillips said. "I served in the Marine Corps from '72 to '76. I got discharged May 5, 1976. I got honorable discharge and one of the boxes in there shows if you were peacetime or... what my box says that I was in theater. I don't talk much about my Vietnam times. I usually say 'I don't recollect. I don't recall,' you know, those years."

"I got a Section 8 home because I'm a veteran, wartime veteran like that. Honorable, in theater, so I have Section 8 home."

Nathan Phillips in 2018 video falsely claims, 'I'm a Vietnam vet'

Jan 2015
Great State of Texas
Fake News Fact Checker Sites have been debunked so many times on this forum it's ridiculous.

But, it doesn't stop our No/Low Information Extremist friends on the Left from contiuing to qoute them.

Great thread ....

But, don't expect it to convince the Extremist of the truth .....