Missouri set to pass another strict abortion bill

Jun 2014
United States
Yes, I am against abortion also and have said that here many times before.

There's nothing wrong with being opposed to abortion. I suspect that many, if not most, Americans do personally oppose abortion, and therefore refrain from having abortions and encourage their friends and families to avoid the procedure.

That said, those who desire to leverage the power of the state to make abortion a crime are merely sadistic authoritarians, in my opinion. The best way to prevent abortion is to work to prevent unwanted pregnancies. Anti-abortion activists typically don't care about doing this. They simply want to see people thrown into cages for daring to engage in behavior that they find personally repulsive.

Wonderer

Council Hall
May 2014
Missouri
There's nothing wrong with being opposed to abortion. I suspect that many, if not most, Americans do personally oppose abortion, and therefore refrain from having abortions and encourage their friends and families to avoid the procedure.

That said, those who desire to leverage the power of the state to make abortion a crime are merely sadistic authoritarians, in my opinion. The best way to prevent abortion is to work to prevent unwanted pregnancies. Anti-abortion activists typically don't care about doing this. They simply want to see people thrown into cages for daring to engage in behavior that they find personally repulsive.
Another way to look at this would be to recognize that many/most who oppose abortion attach value to the lives of the unborn and are motivated to protect those lives. I wholeheartedly agree that the best way to prevent abortion is to work to prevent unwanted pregnancies and support efforts to do so, including education, readily available contraceptives. Also, providing support for women who find themselves facing unplanned/unwanted pregnancies.

Your characterization of "typical anti-abortion activists" does not jibe with my observation and experience. Nor does it in any way reflect my personal stance on the matter. Of course, one way some people approach political debates is to vilify their "opponents," rather than discussing the issue substantively. For instance, I don't agree with pro-lifers who paint all pro-choicers (or even those who are pro-abortion) as bloodthirsty homicidal monsters who simply want to dismember and discard unborn children.

Dec 2015
In Your Heart!

Indeed more women who engage in casual sexual relations or even in sexual relations with their husband should work for the prevention of their pregnancy if they do not want children. I really do not understand why they don't. Surely they have heard that the child is literally ripped apart, the head severed as well as their arms, legs and other body parts in the process of an abortion. Sorry if that's being graphic but that's the way it happens. Therefore, being human one would think that the mother would have at least some bit of caring in her heart for the child that is being taken away from her body to be destroyed. The pain it inevitably suffers is again heartbreaking to most caring people like myself. That is why I cannot ever be for abortion. I also often wonder how those women who do not care if their unborn babies feel the immense pain of abortion would feel if they themselves had been aborted by their own mother. Of course then they would not be alive to be for abortion. But it all boils down to having a heart and caring about your own flesh and blood. Not even animals treat their young that way and we feel that they don't know any better being animals. And while they may not have abortions when they do give birth they fully take care of their young and love them, feed them and are there for them until they reach a point to be able to take care of themselves. Now why can't humans have that same attitude I ask? Pain is Pain and All Pain HURTS. Mothers-to-be considering having an abortion, please consider that before having your unborn child ripped out of your womb and thrown into a dump pile like a piece of trash as something not even worthy of a funeral although it has a soul, a heart, a spirit and a little body given to it by God from the life that they almost came to have.

Nov 2018
Bel Air, MD
If you take away the ability of the liberals to kill their baby, they will go nuts.

This is in response to the late term abortions that democrats have been pushing. And it is snowballing
I agree. The Democrats are the Party of Death, and killing kids is fine with them.

I'm from Missouri and glad they have taken a stand.

Mar 2019
California
That's kind of the point. For those of us who are pro-life anyway.
Yes.The point is to 'Have this conversation" as the Dems are so fond of saying. They want to "Have a conversation" about taking away our cars. Well, it is time to "Have a conversation" about baby murder.

Feb 2010
between Moon and NYC
Another way to look at this would be to recognize that many/most who oppose abortion attach value to the lives of the unborn and are motivated to protect those lives. I wholeheartedly agree that the best way to prevent abortion is to work to prevent unwanted pregnancies and support efforts to do so, including education, readily available contraceptives. Also, providing support for women who find themselves facing unplanned/unwanted pregnancies.

Your characterization of "typical anti-abortion activists" does not jibe with my observation and experience. Nor does it in any way reflect my personal stance on the matter. Of course, one way some people approach political debates is to vilify their "opponents," rather than discussing the issue substantively. For instance, I don't agree with pro-lifers who paint all pro-choicers (or even those who are pro-abortion) as bloodthirsty homicidal monsters who simply want to dismember and discard unborn children.
A wonderfully civil response in what is rarely a civil topic of discussion.

Kudos.

And i agree with your sentiments.

Wonderer

Council Hall
May 2014
Missouri
Will this pass easily? It doesnt appear to be a strict as the AL one passed yesterday.
Yes. A similar version was already passed by the House in March. The Senate made some tweaks to it before passage in order to secure agreement from the Dems not to filibuster. However, House and Senate leadership are largely on the same page with it. The session ends tomorrow at 6:00 pm and this is Priority #1, so I expect the House to pass it sometime today. The Governor has already stated he will sign it.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Have to think the recent push for these laws is due to the horrid rollout of VA and NYs third term abortion laws. The coverage of it was horrific and scared a lot of people.