Mitch McConnell: Gravedigger of Democracy

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
East Germany, called itself "German Democratic Republic".. it had Democratic right there in it's name, and was as far from it as imaginable.
Similarly, North Korea and China each has "republic" in the name. Anyone think those are free or democratic societies?

People asserting that we are a republic (true) but not a democracy (false) wish to set their leaders up as philosopher-kings - emphasis on "kings" (since their leaders tend to not be quite so philosophically-oriented).

May 2012
By the wall
We are now a banana republic.

With a President who has openly mused how wonderful it would be to be an El Presidente-for-Life.
You have no idea what a banana republic even is.

God, how embarrassing for you.

Would you like me to explain it to you?

May 2012
By the wall
Why, yes. Yes, I would dearly love to hear your scholarly explanation of what a banana republic is. I am sure all of us would.
I wouldn't think I would need to explain this to an educated economist such as yourself but you are calling me out so I feel I must.

ba·nan·a re·pub·lic
noun
derogatory
noun: banana republic; plural noun: banana republics

1. a small nation, especially in Central America, dependent on one crop or the influx of foreign capital.
So please tell us what one crop we now rely on to sustain our livelihood?

Dec 2014
The Milky Way

Where does the word democracy appear in the Constitution.

We are a Republic, and the Constitution demands every state provide a republican government.

Article IV Section 4 Clause 1 The United States shall guarantee to every State in this Union a Republican Form of Government.

The nation is often referrred to as The Republic, never the democratic republic.

Your post is gibberish.

Dec 2014
The Milky Way
I wouldn't think I would need to explain this to an educated economist such as yourself but you are calling me out so I feel I must.

ba·nan·a re·pub·lic
noun
derogatory

1. a small nation, especially in Central America, dependent on one crop or the influx of foreign capital.

He is a legend in his own mind.

Jan 2016
Colorado

ba·nan·a re·pub·lic
noun
derogatory

Read the Wikipedia article on banana republics. And then, gosh, you would find that the term is MUCH broader than your stupidly limited definition:

Banana republic - Wikipedia

And then, just for fun, you could read THIS:

10 Ways America Has Come to Resemble a Banana Republic

May 2012
By the wall
Read the Wikipedia article on banana republics. And then, gosh, you would find that the term is MUCH broader than your stupidly limited definition:

Banana republic - Wikipedia

And then, just for fun, you could read THIS:

10 Ways America Has Come to Resemble a Banana Republic
Seriously?

Wikipedia?

For all we know you just typed that shit in......you know that's not a reliable source for anything.

The fact is that the definition of a banana republic is well established.

Where do you think the term comes from?

It originates with a nation that relies on bananas as their only export for income.

May 2012
By the wall
You need to expand your limited reading, too. See post #17.
Simply apologize that you got the term wrong and accept your humiliation and move on.

Its really not a big deal.

Quit doubling down like a typical liberal.

You were wrong and you were proven wrong, accept it like a man.