MLK Jr.'s Name Voted Off Historic Boulevard in Kansas City

Jan 2015
Great State of Texas
Nearly 70 percent of voters in a Kansas City, Mo. municipal election on Tuesday approved removing Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.'s name from a historic boulevard.

The thoroughfare, known as The Paseo, had been named for the late civil rights icon in an 8-4 city council vote in January, FOX 4 in Kansas City reported.

But soon after the vote, a movement called Save The Paseo gathered nearly 3,000 signatures from residents hoping to preserve the boulevard's long history and original name by putting the question on the ballot.

It appears the City Council over stepped their boundaries with their constituients here.

What do you think?

Reactions: orangecat
Oct 2019
International Falls, Minnesota
MLK Jr.'s Name Voted Off Historic Boulevard in Kansas City

A rare victory for the white majority, huh?

Celebrate!!!
I don't think you can back that up. The picture shows a pretty even picture of black and white people. Kansas City has a large black population.

Jan 2015
Great State of Texas
My parents were from Kansas City and I visited there often as a kid. There is a large black population, so this can't be racist.
I don't think it's racist either.

The support for changing it back appears to be supported equally among the demographics.

It appears the thoroughfare has been called The Paseo for a long time a the residents there want to keep it that way.