Mom who refused to abort baby with medical needs welcomes daughter

Mar 2019
On a drive-by
After suffering several miscarriages, Kiera Meldrum, 20, was delighted to learn she was pregnant again in July 2018. But roughly five months into her pregnancy, the United Kingdom woman was told her unborn daughter was suffering from a serious medical condition that spurred doctors to recommend abortion.

“I refused to terminate Lillee-Rose every time they told me to, and I'm so happy I listened to my heart instead of the doctors,” Meldrum told SWNS of her now 6-month-old daughter.

Doctors told Meldrum her child had Grade 3 severe ascites to the bowel, a condition that causes an abnormal buildup of fluid in the abdomen. The mother was told Lillee-Rose was suffering from the condition at her 21-week scan.

"I felt sick when they told me she wasn't well, but I just knew my little girl was a fighter and that she could make it,” she recalled. "There was no way I was terminating my pregnancy — I'd waited so long to become a mom and I was determined to do all I could to protect my baby."

At 28 weeks, the baby’s bowel ruptured— prompting doctors to recommend an abortion once more, the mom said. Amniotic fluid was also building up inside Meldrum, causing her immense pain.

Mom who refused to abort baby with medical needs welcomes daughter: 'I was terrified of losing her'

Thanks to this brave mother who chose life rather than murder her child.

Abortion is a coward's way out.

May 2019
A Van Down by the River...
I only hope that she's able to afford the expected medical bills. Oh, that's right... she's in the U.K., which provides healthcare to all permanent residents of the United Kingdom.

Good for her; I hope the kid makes it. Most kids with Grade 3 severe ascites die within a year.
You make a good point. Here in the States if there was a woman with limited or no healthcare this decision would be madness.

Mar 2019
"US" of A
After suffering several miscarriages, Kiera Meldrum, 20, was delighted to learn she was pregnant again in July 2018. But roughly five months into her pregnancy, the United Kingdom woman was told her unborn daughter was suffering from a serious medical condition that spurred doctors to recommend abortion.

“I refused to terminate Lillee-Rose every time they told me to, and I'm so happy I listened to my heart instead of the doctors,” Meldrum told SWNS of her now 6-month-old daughter.

Doctors told Meldrum her child had Grade 3 severe ascites to the bowel, a condition that causes an abnormal buildup of fluid in the abdomen. The mother was told Lillee-Rose was suffering from the condition at her 21-week scan.

"I felt sick when they told me she wasn't well, but I just knew my little girl was a fighter and that she could make it,” she recalled. "There was no way I was terminating my pregnancy — I'd waited so long to become a mom and I was determined to do all I could to protect my baby."

At 28 weeks, the baby’s bowel ruptured— prompting doctors to recommend an abortion once more, the mom said. Amniotic fluid was also building up inside Meldrum, causing her immense pain.

Mom who refused to abort baby with medical needs welcomes daughter: 'I was terrified of losing her'

Thanks to this brave mother who chose life rather than murder her child.

Abortion is a coward's way out.
Don't have one. What did your Jesus tell you about judging others? It was her decision as it should be. And you had to come in with your petty little self-righteous proselytizing. How shallow and small. Will your heaven be full of emotionally disturbed folk like you? Is your congregation? Are you available for missionary work, you could really win some poor lost souls over with this shtick.

Aug 2018
Vancouver
"Refused"??

" told"?

She was offered options to make her choice. Her choice about her own life. Her choice was respected. Universal insurance allowed her all available options.

She did it. With force of will, modern medicine, and the pooled resources of her nation.

Good for her. Wish her all the best.

She might regret it. I strongly believe she might. But it's her choice. She made it.