Mom who refused to abort baby with medical needs welcomes daughter

Aug 2006
Connecticut
"Refused"??

" told"?

She was offered options to make her choice. Her choice about her own life. Her choice was respected. Universal insurance allowed her all available options.

She did it. With force of will, modern medicine, and the pooled resources of her nation.

Good for her. Wish her all the best.

She might regret it. I strongly believe she might. But it's her choice. She made it.
I've known parents who had to deal with adversity in raising sick kids, literally never heard of a person saying they regret not having an abortion. I don't think that's how parenting works.

Oct 2013
USA
All women make their own decision. Respect their decision. It is incurable. Hopefully this adorable baby does not live a short life in extreme pain. That is what makes the decisions difficult for all women who have to decide between a baby suffering or not. If this baby has a better outcome and is not in extreme pain, mom and baby are very lucky and I am sure we all wish them the best. Glad they have healthcare in the UK.

Dec 2006
In the Witness Protection Program
I’m sure there are those who regret what they put their child through. I read a story about a woman who watched her child die of Tay Sachs. When she got pregnant a second time, the fetus was screened for the disease and tested positive. She then had an abortion because she wasn’t going to put another child through that agony.

Sep 2014
USA
I only hope that she's able to afford the expected medical bills. Oh, that's right... she's in the U.K., which provides healthcare to all permanent residents of the United Kingdom.

Good for her; I hope the kid makes it. Most kids with Grade 3 severe ascites die within a year.
Most...but there is always a chance for survival. We can't put a price tag on a human life. Every life deserves a chance...regardless of age. If this baby has good medical care with close monitoring, she has a good chance at survival. I am surprised the baby did not die during surgery after birth...but she didn't. One thing I have noticed over the last 20 years, babies are the most fierce fighters for life of anything I have ever seen. You can see it and feel it. I have seen preemies that I knew would not survive the night where the only treatment was oxygen at high levels for a baby...but end up discharged a couple of months later. Every day they improved.

I think this was a nice story and I admire the UK for following this through. Some feel that socialized medicine would have forced her to abort due to the expense of a imperfect child. Proved that theory wrong.

Spontaneous resolution of severe fetal ascites in the second trimester: a case report. - PubMed - NCBI

Mar 2019
"US" of A
Most...but there is always a chance for survival. We can't put a price tag on a human life. Every life deserves a chance...regardless of age. If this baby has good medical care with close monitoring, she has a good chance at survival. I am surprised the baby did not die during surgery after birth...but she didn't. One thing I have noticed over the last 20 years, babies are the most fierce fighters for life of anything I have ever seen. You can see it and feel it. I have seen preemies that I knew would not survive the night where the only treatment was oxygen at high levels for a baby...but end up discharged a couple of months later. Every day they improved.

I think this was a nice story and I admire the UK for following this through. Some feel that socialized medicine would have forced her to abort due to the expense of a imperfect child. Proved that theory wrong.

Spontaneous resolution of severe fetal ascites in the second trimester: a case report. - PubMed - NCBI
"We can't put a price tag on a human life."

We do every day, all day long.

Jun 2014
United States
I've known parents who had to deal with adversity in raising sick kids, literally never heard of a person saying they regret not having an abortion. I don't think that's how parenting works.

Doctoring doesn't work by "forcing" women to have abortions either. This woman knew exactly how to phrase her experience in order to become a darling of right-wing media.