Monsanto must pay $289 million to man with cancer

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
I kind of feel this could be the tip of the iceberg.

San Francisco jurors just ruled that that Roundup, the most popular weedkiller in the world, gave a former school groundskeeper terminal cancer.

So they awarded him $289 million in damages -- mostly to punish the agricultural company Monsanto. Dewayne Johnson's victory Friday could set a massive precedent for thousands of other cases claiming Monsato's famous herbicide causes non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. Johnson's case was the first to go to trial because doctors said he was near death. And in California, dying plaintiffs can be granted expedited trials.

CNN reported last year that more than 800 patients were suing Monsanto, claiming Roundup gave them cancer.

The big questions at stake were whether Roundup can cause cancer and, if so, whether Monsanto failed to warn consumers about the product's cancer risk. The jury sided with Johnson on both.

In March 2015, the World Health Organization's International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) said the key ingredient in Roundup, glyphosate, is "probably carcinogenic to humans."

https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/10/health/monsanto-johnson-trial-verdict/index.html

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Yep. There are approximately 5,000 other lawsuits. This was the first to be tried.
I suspect eventually this will be banned. I believe Europe and other nations have already done so. I saw there are also other lawsuits against Monsanto for GMOs but I am not clear what they are citing.

Feb 2010
between Moon and NYC
Yep. There are approximately 5,000 other lawsuits. This was the first to be tried.
And i suspect this first one is far from being concluded.

Monsanto may or may not be negligent/guilty. But this initial trial appears to have been conducted in the "west coast version of Madison County".

Feb 2010
between Moon and NYC
I suspect eventually this will be banned. I believe Europe and other nations have already done so. I saw there are also other lawsuits against Monsanto for GMOs but I am not clear what they are citing.

(Sort of hope not. The product has been pretty amazing/wonderful in my experience. But like anything else, one does have to pay attention when using it.)

Nov 2016
USA
I believe the GMO lawsuits have more to do with some nasty business practices against farmers, such as suing farmers who never bought GMO seeds from Monsanto but whose crops got cross pollinated by neighboring GMO using farmers.

Oct 2014
C-A-N-A-D-A-Eh
I believe the GMO lawsuits have more to do with some nasty business practices against farmers, such as suing farmers who never bought GMO seeds from Monsanto but whose crops got cross pollinated by neighboring GMO using farmers.
Many don't even think this is a real thing; they look to snopes that talks about the few legitimate cases where people were intentionally stealing. Most cases they KNEW about the cross pollination issue, and would just steal samples for testing at nearby farms.

johnflesh

Former Staff
Feb 2007
(Sort of hope not. The product has been pretty amazing/wonderful in my experience. But like anything else, one does have to pay attention when using it.)
Even with attention there are unintended consequences.

For instance the neighborhood next to ours, a covenant, does not want anyone using it because the hills are so up and down and you know... gravity and all. If you are uphill and you water it rolls downhill and so with all the chemicals to your neighbors down hill.