Moon Real estate.. just a bit late

R

Roach

ah so they have another plan to build a nice little base on the moon.. is it going to happen? is it worth it? has space exploration been completley forgotten and is it a project worth funding??

Thoughts! :D

Sky News: World News, Global News and International breaking News.

Nasa is planning to build a permanently occupied base on the moon. The habitat, most likely at the lunar north pole, will serve as a science outpost as well as a testbed for technologies needed for future travel to Mars.
Construction will follow a series of flights to the moon scheduled to begin by 2020.
"We're going for a base on the moon," Scott 'Doc' Horowitz, Nasa's associate administrator for exploration, said.
Plans for what the base will look like and what astronauts would do there have yet to be determined.
Nasa has also not projected a date when the base would go into operation.
The moon's polar sites are preferred to equatorial regions because of more moderate temperatures and longer periods of sunlight.
This is critical for the solar-powered electrical systems Nasa plans to develop.
Scientists also suspect the poles have resources such as hydrogen, ice and other materials that could be used for life support.
"It's exciting," said Nasa deputy administrator Shana Dale. "We don't know as much about the polar regions."
The US had already announced plans to develop new spacecraft to travel to the moon and land on its surface for the first time since the last Apollo flight there in 1972.
It also plans to provide a communications system linking Earth and the moon.

M

Magpie

ah so they have another plan to build a nice little base on the moon.. is it going to happen? is it worth it? has space exploration been completley forgotten and is it a project worth funding??

Thoughts! :D

Sky News: World News, Global News and International breaking News.

Nasa is planning to build a permanently occupied base on the moon. The habitat, most likely at the lunar north pole, will serve as a science outpost as well as a testbed for technologies needed for future travel to Mars.
Construction will follow a series of flights to the moon scheduled to begin by 2020.
"We're going for a base on the moon," Scott 'Doc' Horowitz, Nasa's associate administrator for exploration, said.
Plans for what the base will look like and what astronauts would do there have yet to be determined.
Nasa has also not projected a date when the base would go into operation.
The moon's polar sites are preferred to equatorial regions because of more moderate temperatures and longer periods of sunlight.
This is critical for the solar-powered electrical systems Nasa plans to develop.
Scientists also suspect the poles have resources such as hydrogen, ice and other materials that could be used for life support.
"It's exciting," said Nasa deputy administrator Shana Dale. "We don't know as much about the polar regions."
The US had already announced plans to develop new spacecraft to travel to the moon and land on its surface for the first time since the last Apollo flight there in 1972.
It also plans to provide a communications system linking Earth and the moon.
Finally, they were talking about this when I was younger than you Roach - hmm we'll see if it actually happens this time. :) Dear Americans, think this would be a very good P.R. move. :)

R

Roach

Finally, they were talking about this when I was younger than you Roach - hmm we'll see if it actually happens this time. :) Dear Americans, think this would be a very good P.R. move. :)
lol, as long as its not "one small step for man, One giant leap for America the greatest country in the world, Fuck yeah!!" :D he he

F

Freedom for All

Yes. It would be a great PR move.

Land on Moon. Find all the water. Tell all other nations to bug off, it's ours.

Build missile silos/rail gun. Emplace nuclear warheads, plus surface to space anti-ship missiles.

Tell the rest of the world to stay put, and oh, China? Korea? Iran? Go ahead and play with your nukes, we got you covered.

I think it's an excellen PR move, really.

F

Freedom for All

Unfortunately, one can already tell that bureaucrats, not engineers, will be designing this system. How can I tell? They're saying it won't happen until 2020, which means 2035, probably.

Why did the International Space Station take so long to build, when Skylab took less than two years? Look at the "I" in ISS, is why.

On the other hand, if they cut a team of good enineers loose, we could have working plans for a pre-fab lunar base completed in 12 months.

Some parameters to design to:

The Apollo CSM massed 30,000 kg.
The LM massed massed 15,000 kg.

That means if we resurrected the old Saturn boosters, we'd be able to place 45,000 lbs of mass en route to the moon. Some of that mass would be vehicle structure mass, some would be reaction mass (fuel), but for delivery of the pre-fab units, I'd estimate that we could put 30,000 kg (66,000 lbs) onto the moon's surface using one-way vehicles.

30,000 kg is a freakin' enormous payload when pre-fab graphite-sandwich panels mass about 7 kg per square meter or so. And that's if you go with pre-fab boards instead of multi-walled inflatable structures to be buried in the regolith.

Yeah, America could do the job quickly, if it weren't for the fact that space missions aren't about exploring space, exploiting resources, or science, but about congressional pork and high-tech welfare.

C

Comrade

yeah, but i doubt america would claim the moon and turn it into a neuclear bunker. i mean, get into reality people.

Comrade

D

davideyoung

Reality - America already set up the first comprehensive space based missile defense program in the 1980's.

S

Sparta

I'd like to meet the people who conceived and approved this plan, so I can kick them in the nuts.

C

Comrade

reality: usa, indeed no one, will ever use the moon as a neclear storage silo for the arsenal. it wont happen in any of our life times. ever. it wont. because there will always be some jonny pencil pusher that says "you cant do that, the fumes from the rocket ship might hurt a bird" as such, the whole opperation will be delayed. this means the cost will rise. this means it wont happen.
thats reality. and it bites.

yeah the usa have a nice little programme up and running. but face it. nothing will come of it, for the reasons above :)

Comrade