More criminals in uniform

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
There is a still unfolding scandal in Russia, involving corruption and criminal activity within the FSB national security service and it's elite units, in Moscow: Corruption in elite spec ops...

And now, new development, in St. Petersburg, a video emerges of plainclothes police operatives apparently arresting a pair of uniformed officers of the Russian National Guard (Rosgvardia, the paramility force commanded by Viktor Zolotov, Putin's former chief bodyguard)

They are accused of planting drugs on a teenage boy and then extorting money from him:

The two National Guardsmen reportedly stopped a 16-year-old on the street, planted him with drugs and then demanded a 300,000 ruble ($4,770) bribe, the local branch of the Investigative Committee said in a statement Wednesday.

After taking the boy to an ATM machine and extracting part of the sum, they agreed to receive the second half at a specified location, the local Fontanka news website reported. The underaged victim notified the police, who detained the suspects when they came to pick up the bribe.

Russian Cops Take Down Security Officials for Planting Drugs on Teen - The Moscow Times

Crazy...

It is good news though, that they reacted and actually indeed took these SOBs down! That's nice to see, at least :)

Jul 2018
North Carolina
I
There is a still unfolding scandal in Russia, involving corruption and criminal activity within the FSB national security service and it's elite units, in Moscow: Corruption in elite spec ops...

And now, new development, in St. Petersburg, a video emerges of plainclothes police operatives apparently arresting a pair of uniformed officers of the Russian National Guard (Rosgvardia, the paramility force commanded by Viktor Zolotov, Putin's former chief bodyguard)

They are accused of planting drugs on a teenage boy and then extorting money from him:

Russian Cops Take Down Security Officials for Planting Drugs on Teen - The Moscow Times

Crazy...

It is good news though, that they reacted and actually indeed took these SOBs down! That's nice to see, at least :)
I read an article in "The Moscow Times" that was titled

‘Real Men’ Must Serve in the Army, Majority of Russians Say'

Russia’s military and intelligence services are among the country’s most-trusted institutions, despite recent polls saying Russians have grown weary with their country’s military campaigns abroad. Many Russians believe that time in the Armed Forces teaches boys masculinity and responsibility, state-run polling has said in recent years.
Sixty percent of Russians say that every real man should serve in the Armed Forces, the Levada Center poll published on Tuesday said.
Another 24 percent of respondents said military service is a debt that is owed to the state, while 12 percent said they viewed it as a meaningless and dangerous occupation.
To be fair this is only one survey involving 1616 respondents from 50 different regions, and surveys change routinely obviously.

Since you are an insider, so to speak, do you think things like this (corruption, theft etc etc that you posted) shake the Russian peoples confidence / beliefs any at all with their military (especially the part about the military teaching responsibility), or do you think their minds / feelings would remain unchanged? IF no, what in your opinion, would begin the shake their confidence with the Russian military concerning this. According to this survey / news article, the Russian people seem to revere the Russian military quite extensively, so I am thinking it would take something horrendous for these good people to change their viewpoint(s).

Thoughts?

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
I

I read an article in "The Moscow Times" that was titled

‘Real Men’ Must Serve in the Army, Majority of Russians Say'

To be fair this is only one survey involving 1616 respondents from 50 different regions, and surveys change routinely obviously.

Since you are an insider, so to speak, do you think things like this (corruption, theft etc etc that you posted) shake the Russian peoples confidence / beliefs any at all with their military (especially the part about the military teaching responsibility), or do you think their minds / feelings would remain unchanged? IF no, what in your opinion, would begin the shake their confidence with the Russian military concerning this. According to this survey / news article, the Russian people seem to revere the Russian military quite extensively, so I am thinking it would take something horrendous for these good people to change their viewpoint(s).

Thoughts?
Well, Rosgvardia =/= military, first of all, technically, they are internal security forces; although some of their elite units are currently deployed in Syria, mainly under the auspices of Military Police, helping security Assad-controlled areas and whatnot

That armored Ural truck is a vehicle issued only to Rosgvardia, far as I know, here, Rosgvardia troops riding in them on Red Square, at Victory Day Parade back in May

Rosgvardia is a big, broad term, however, a huge umbrella organization of hundreds of thousands of personnel; they also include:

Rapid Response Units

Essentially - heavily armed elite cops, who, as the name suggests, respond first (before regular police) to 112 emergency calls, alert buttons, and silent alarms.

SOBR (SWAT)

As well as OMON (anti-riot forces)

Among others.

The various units and branches all enjoy different levels of trust and respect among the people. OMON are generally hated, they are seen as mindless thugs who beat up peaceful protesters for no reason. But SOBR (who often get deployed on anti-terrorist ops along with FSB forces in Dagestan and elsewhere in North Caucasus); and the guys who served in Syria and such, are respected much more.

Jul 2018
North Carolina
Well, Rosgvardia =/= military, first of all, technically, they are internal security forces; although some of their elite units are currently deployed in Syria, mainly under the auspices of Military Police, helping security Assad-controlled areas and whatnot

That armored Ural truck is a vehicle issued only to Rosgvardia, far as I know, here, Rosgvardia troops riding in them on Red Square, at Victory Day Parade back in May

Rosgvardia is a big, broad term, however, a huge umbrella organization of hundreds of thousands of personnel; they also include:

Rapid Response Units

Essentially - heavily armed elite cops, who, as the name suggests, respond first (before regular police) to 112 emergency calls, alert buttons, and silent alarms.

SOBR (SWAT)

As well as OMON (anti-riot forces)

Among others.

The various units and branches all enjoy different levels of trust and respect among the people. OMON are generally hated, they are seen as mindless thugs who beat up peaceful protesters for no reason. But SOBR (who often get deployed on anti-terrorist ops along with FSB forces in Dagestan and elsewhere in North Caucasus); and the guys who served in Syria and such, are respected much more.
I gotcha. I didn't make that distinction earlier because when I saw a few terms like National Guardsmen & Spec Ops, so I instantaneously thought of the military. Made a simple assumption, LOL.
Anyhoo, the Rosgvardia is separate from the armed forces, gotcha. The "OMON" are pretty much the @$$hole group, which is part of the Rosgvardia, got it LOL.

Good info.

Last edited:

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
I gotcha. I didn't make that distinction earlier because when I saw a few terms like National Guardsmen & Spec Ops, so I instantaneously thought of the military. Made a simple assumption, LOL.
Anyhoo, the Rosgvardia is separate from the armed forces, gotcha. The "OMON" are pretty much the @$$hole group, which is part of the Rosgvardia, got it LOL.

Good info.
Yeah, it's a bit different from US National Guard, which is a military reserve.

Russia actually has among the largest military reserves on the plant, simply because, the way it works over there, and has since the Soviet era, every man who is demobilized or retired from the military is automatically automatically entered into reserve.

Officers keep the rank that they demobilized with, only it becomes a "reserve rank". So, a Lieutenant, for instance, turns into a "Lieutenant-in-Reserve" :)

You stay on the reserve list until you are 55 or something like that, I believe.

Until that age, you can be summoned back for active duty at any time the Motherland needs you (though, normally, such a thing would only happen in the event of a huge existential war or natural disaster or something).

Plus, every couple years or so, you'd be also called in for drills to maintain your skills and general combat readiness