More Democrats are Voting for Trump in 2020

Feb 2018
Texas

From the NYT:

Many of the voters who said they voted Democratic but now intended to vote for Mr. Trump offered explanations that reflect longstanding theories about why the party out of power tends to excel in midterms.

Michelle Bassaro, 61, is a Trump supporter, but in the midterm election, she voted for the Democrat in her district to balance the administration’s power. She said she had voted for Republicans when Democrats were in the White House for the same reason, consistent with research that shows that some people intentionally vote for divided government.

Another reason was local: The Democrat promised to bring more jobs to her area, Nanty Glo, Pa. (The name comes from a Welsh phrase that means “streams of coal,” but its coal jobs have disappeared.)

Voters often think differently about state and national issues. Some said they had voted for their local Democrat in the midterms because the person had served well for a long time, or because the candidate’s policies would directly help their community. But presidential politics were another story, they said. Many of the white working-class voters in the Rust Belt who supported the president in 2016 were traditionally Democratic voters who backed President Obama in 2012 and even continued to vote Democratic down-ballot in 2016. Democrats generally held on to these voters in 2018, but the reasons many of them voted for Mr. Trump, like his promises on immigration or the economy, could still be relevant.

Mar 2015
Mad Prophet

From the NYT:

Many of the voters who said they voted Democratic but now intended to vote for Mr. Trump offered explanations that reflect longstanding theories about why the party out of power tends to excel in midterms.

Michelle Bassaro, 61, is a Trump supporter, but in the midterm election, she voted for the Democrat in her district to balance the administration’s power. She said she had voted for Republicans when Democrats were in the White House for the same reason, consistent with research that shows that some people intentionally vote for divided government.

Another reason was local: The Democrat promised to bring more jobs to her area, Nanty Glo, Pa. (The name comes from a Welsh phrase that means “streams of coal,” but its coal jobs have disappeared.)

Voters often think differently about state and national issues. Some said they had voted for their local Democrat in the midterms because the person had served well for a long time, or because the candidate’s policies would directly help their community. But presidential politics were another story, they said. Many of the white working-class voters in the Rust Belt who supported the president in 2016 were traditionally Democratic voters who backed President Obama in 2012 and even continued to vote Democratic down-ballot in 2016. Democrats generally held on to these voters in 2018, but the reasons many of them voted for Mr. Trump, like his promises on immigration or the economy, could still be relevant.
I appreciate what you are saying good sir, but as an independent, that's what I did last time and I wasn't happy with the outcome in the least. This time around I am going to vote for whichever Democrat wins the nomination. I will NOT vote for Trump and I'm 100% sure of this.

There may indeed be Democrats who will support Trump, but I have serious reservations that it will equate to more Democrats voting for Trump, than the last go-round.

Blueneck

Former Staff
Jun 2007
Ohio
How nice for Trump. I'm sure he'll win in 2020, so Republicans who aren't inclined to vote for a Democrat & are hesitant to vote for Trump can just stay home and he'll win easily without every vote. Awesome, let's do that! :smirk:

Feb 2018
Texas
I appreciate what you are saying good sir, but as an independent, that's what I did last time and I wasn't happy with the outcome in the least. This time around I am going to vote for whichever Democrat wins the nomination. I will NOT vote for Trump and I'm 100% sure of this.

There may indeed be Democrats who will support Trump, but I have serious reservations that it will equate to more Democrats voting for Trump, than the last go-round.

I posted this to give democrats an explanation of the appeal Trump holds for his base, and future Trump voters. As you can see, some agree he is rude and obnoxious however, in their view, the economy is a priority. Add to that, his approval rating with African Americans and other minorities continues to rise. Movements such as Blexit and #Walkaway are gaining momentum as well.

The democrats are repeating the mistake they made in 2016; assuming they have the minority vote. For the NYT to publish the OP indicates there is concern over this problem.
Btw, I'm a woman ;)