More Muslims Support Gay Marriage Than Fundies

BDBoop

Former Staff
Dec 2010
Twitter
He never said that. Try reading what is said not what you want it to say. Of course he killed them because they were gay. That doesn't mean the Fort Hood massacre was less tragic because that Muslim killed because they were American soldiers. Both are just as dead.

Do you actually believe we should morn harder for dead American homosexuals than dead American soldiers?
SHE never said that. And I'm pretty sure SHE doesn't need you running interference for her.

RosieS

Former Staff
Mar 2013
Mother Mayo
Yep, those statistics do tell a story worth telling, that's for sure. But I wouldn't say the results are incredible. There's a range of Muslim thought on sex and sexuality and it's no surprise to see Muslims living in the U.S. are on the more moderate side. But some folks may be surprised all the same.

Well, they probably shouldn't be.

A lot of the people who like to talk in absolutist terms about what Muslims as a whole do and don't believe or about the essential character of Islam clearly don't know very much about the history of the religion or how it has varied over time and in different places. Fact is, in many if not most places and times, Islam was a lot friendlier to variant sexual behavior than Christianity. The Bedouins tended to be a more repressive lot and that's probably reflected in the tenets of Wahhabism that have so influenced Sunni radicals throughout the Muslim world. (Never trust a desert religion. :) ) And even then, it's probably fair to say that radical Sunni theocrats have a different concept of "homosexuality" than most people in the U.S. Of course that's not intended to excuse or justify the heinous acts of persecution up to and including murder that those theocrats have committed.

Anyway, point is, based on history there's no reason to believe that Islam is any more inherently hostile to homosexuality than Christianity and in fact there's actually reason to believe that Muslims may in general be more inclined to be tolerant. So, the statistics aren't that shocking after all, eh?

Cheers.
<applause, applause> Kudos, Havelock, my friend!

Regards from Rosie

Reactions: 2 people
Jul 2013
U.S.A.
{clinging to your left leg}

Don't mind me. Carry on. Just don't leave again.
Did I leave? I have been kind of tied up lately I guess. Too many irons in the fire at work and at home... But I wouldn't leave leave without saying something. :)

Cheers!

Reactions: 1 person

Macduff

Apr 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Neither the "All Muslims are terrorism supporters" nor the "Why worry about Islamic terrorism when there are Christians who don't agree with gay marriage" arguments are helpful.

Jul 2013
U.S.A.
<applause, applause> Kudos, Havelock, my friend!

Regards from Rosie
Well, thank you. Just trying to set the record straight, so to speak... On the whole I think that too many people are too quick to judge and too slow -- or disinclined -- to learn anything beyond what confirms their pet biases. For example, when I hear someone go on about Central Asia being a wasteland populated by backwards barbarians I have to wonder if they have any idea that the area was home to some of the largest cities in the world when Europe was slogging through the Dark Ages.

History is full of surprises and valuable lessons, eh?

Take care.

Jul 2013
U.S.A.
You still got 'IT', Havelock, old friend...the voice of reason. Thanx.
Why thank you, my dear. You're too kind, at least to me. But we try, don't we? And there's so much unreason out there to fight against. At least we needn't worry about a shortage of opportunity, only the lack of time and energy. :)

Take care and be well, Friday13.

Reactions: 2 people

freecell

Former Staff
Jul 2006
Cary
If they go by the Quran then they don't. They have the same story of Lot. Why do people think Saudi puts sodomites to death. The Quran is not like the Bible in many ways but they do have this story.

Apr 2014
The liberal commie infested, queer loving north ea
Hmm ...

Tell that too the victims and the victim's families of the Orlando massacre.

Keep in mind .... this member of the Religion of Peace perpetrated the largest mass shooting in the history of this Country towards gays.

Yet, according to our very confused liberal friend, it is Christians they must fear.

Brainwashing much ??
99% Bruddda. Do you understand what that means? What % of all Muslims does one person represent?