More oil on the way

Mar 2019
Portland, OR
Well, that's where you are wrong.

The most effective solution will be when it makes economic sense.
Problem is that we may already drained most of our oil reserves by then. Oil is just too good of an energy source. And electric cars and hybrids are already on the road and can work economically. They are still not as good as gas cars at this point.

Gubmint can help, but money is the best problem solver.
Government can definitely help. And the best help are those that work with the market. For example, raising gas and car taxes, raising MPG standards, and giving big tax cuts for electric cars and hybrids.

And, I kinda like AOC....she's so entertaining!

Who else was gonna bring us the Green New Deal and also inform us that the world only has 12 years left?
This is why we need to listen to scientists not politicians on climate change.

And my little SUV gets sometimes 40 MPG and more on the hiway, with 35 city!

That's WAAAY better than some of those old beaters I used to drive.

I am looking forward to my next one being a hybrid, and getting even more MPG.
Thats great, but those high MPG vehicles are equivalent to low-tar cigarettes. The best solution is to just go electric or at least hybrids.

Yep, things are definitely getting better...
No, US oil consumption hasn't declined at all. They are about the same.

Jul 2014
midwest
Problem is that we may already drained most of our oil reserves by then. Oil is just too good of an energy source. And electric cars and hybrids are already on the road and can work economically. They are still not as good as gas cars at this point.

Government can definitely help. And the best help are those that work with the market. For example, raising gas and car taxes, raising MPG standards, and giving big tax cuts for electric cars and hybrids.

Thats great, but those high MPG vehicles are equivalent to low-tar cigarettes. The best solution is to just go electric or at least hybrids.

"They" said we were running out of oil decades ago.

Not gonna happen anytime soon.

In some places the gubmint has imposed extra licensing fees for electrics and hybrids and people are pissed.

It makes some people LESS inclined to buy those vehicles.

If you think you know a way to get idiot politicians to shut up about "climate change", good luck with that.

People like Al Gore making stupid predictions about when the polar ice caps will disappear, only hurt the cause.

AOC saying we've only got 12 years left will come back to haunt her, too.

If there had been a decent hybrid alternative to my SUV, I would certainly have considered it.

The choices will get better and I fully expect my next one to be a hybrid.

Electrics are still not practical for me.

Yes, my oil use, the consumption that I control, has gone way down...

Sep 2019
Idaho
A surge of oil production is coming, whether the world needs it or not.

That's the first line in the story from the New York Times:

"FOUR COUNTRIES BEHIND WORLD OIL WAVE"

Nearly a million barrels a day in 2020, and nearly a million more in 2021.

Thanks Brazil, Canada, Norway, and Guyana!

www.nytimes.com
So much for peak oil the left was pushing in the 70s. That failed so they moved on to global warming

Sep 2019
Idaho
It's good that we've reduced our worldwide demand for petroleum, and supply outstripping demand is good for consumers, even if it is bad for the suppliers.
Your spin attempt is a fail.

Global oil demand rose by 1.3% in 2018, led by strong growth in the United States. The start-up of large petrochemical projects drove product demand, which partially offset a slowdown in growth in gasoline demand.
1573222560950.png
International Energy Agency › geco
Oil - International Energy Agency

Feedback
About Featured Snippets

Sep 2019
Idaho
Maybe in some ways capitalism consumerism doesn't work, like with limited resources. Maybe we should change how it works.

Have you considered that maybe oil will always be cheaper, until it starts running out? But we need to cut back usage anyway to prevent it from running out?

Capitalism will often favor over-consuming a resource until it starts running out, but even when its almost gone and prices are spiking, people will try to eat up every little bit that is left. Businesses will only work for their own individual benefit, and won't consider the good of the whole. If everyone else is over-consuming a resource but your business isn't, even if you are doing the right thing, you are hurting your business by not over-consuming too. When the resource begins to run out, the businesses that don't take that resource still lose because others will gobble up every last bit and sell for high prices.

Well, we need to be doing a lot more so we don't eat up all our oil in the next 100-200 years. Engines are only 20-35% efficient, so we are literally wasting vast amounts of oil every year.
I've been hearing this doomsday scenario since the 70s and we have more proven oil reserves now than we did then. The world is awash in the stuff and as technology improves we just keep finding more.
Someday some new energy source will make oil obsolete but until then drink up

Sep 2019
Idaho
She doesn't meet the age requirement.

No, our oil consumption is essentially the same. Global oil consumption is actually increasing.
Our is up too.

Global oil demand rose by 1.3% in 2018, led by strong growth in the United States. The start-up of large petrochemical projects drove product demand, which partially offset a slowdown in growth in gasoline demand.
1573222891665.png
International Energy Agency › geco
Oil - International Energy Agency

Feedback
About Featured Snippets

Sep 2019
Idaho
Thats scary. She's the Sarah Palin of the left.

Same here. The most effective solution will come from the law though.

Yeah, but now people are preferring sedans and SUVs which have lower MPGs. We also have a growing population, and more MPGs just means that people will drive their cars more since its cheaper. This is why our oil consumption hasn't fallen with more MPGs. The solution is adopting hybrid and electric cars.

They aren't. Oil consumption is constant, not falling in the US. Its rising in the rest of the world.
A solution in search of a problem is not a solution to anything

Sep 2019
Idaho

Do you have any idea of the environmental impact these batteries cause? No free lunch here.

Mar 2019
Portland, OR
I've been hearing this doomsday scenario since the 70s and we have more proven oil reserves now than we did then. The world is awash in the stuff and as technology improves we just keep finding more.
Someday some new energy source will make oil obsolete but until then drink up
I'm sure that oil will last us a while. Perhaps hundreds of years. But compared to the 6,000 history of humanity, the oil era will be a blink in the eye. We need to conserve resources that are limited.