More oil on the way

highway234

Former Staff
Feb 2010
I've Got Nowhere Else to Go
I think it's more complicated by that, but understand your point. No doubt you also think we should have stayed out of Bosnia, Somalia, Rwanda and many other nations. Isolationism is common in American history and many still favor it.
Blurring the line between illegal military aggression and international relations more generally is also very common among warmongers.

Last edited:
Dec 2018
the Heart of America
funny you mention rwanda though.
Why is it funny? Many LWers wanted Clinton to do something about the genocide. Were you for or against doing something? From your words, can I safely assume you were against stopping the genocide?

highway234

Former Staff
Feb 2010
Why is it funny? Many LWers wanted Clinton to do something about the genocide. Were you for or against doing something? From your words, can I safely assume you were against stopping the genocide?
Was the genocide stopped?

highway234

Former Staff
Feb 2010
Yes....once they ran out of people to kill. Please answer the question: would you have supported US intervention to stop the genocide or not?
Why would I support a military intervention the president didn't support? He knows more than I do what was going on, surely.

the humanitarian catastrophe we caused in Iraq likely dwarfs the number of dead in Rwanda. No one really gives a shit about that, except insofar as to consider it an embarrassing gaffe, basically, which makes it telling that our failure to intervene in Rwanda is also seen as an embarrassing gaffe. What it really is, is a clear and patent demonstration of the fact that these attacks by our government on other countries are driven by motivations that have nothing whatever to do with humanitarian concerns, because our government has consistently demonstrated that it does not have any such concerns.

Dec 2018
the Heart of America
Why would I support a military intervention the president didn't support? He knows more than I do what was going on, surely.

the humanitarian catastrophe we caused in Iraq likely dwarfs the number of dead in Rwanda. No one really gives a shit about that, except insofar as to consider it an embarrassing gaffe, basically, which makes it telling that our failure to intervene in Rwanda is also seen as an embarrassing gaffe. What it really is, is a clear and patent demonstration of the fact that these attacks by our government on other countries are driven by motivations that have nothing whatever to do with humanitarian concerns, because our government has consistently demonstrated that it does not have any such concerns.
Thank you for your affirmation in trusting President Trump, but I disagree.

The fact you don't see the difference between an unprovoked attack on Iraq in 2003 and intervening in the Rwandan genocide proves we are so far apart there is no point in discussing this further.

highway234

Former Staff
Feb 2010
Thank you for your affirmation in trusting President Trump, but I disagree.

The fact you don't see the difference between an unprovoked attack on Iraq in 2003 and intervening in the Rwandan genocide proves we are so far apart there is no point in discussing this further.
not sure why you're bringing trump into it, but ok.

since you seem to acknowledge that the attack on iraq was an atrocity roughly commensurate with the rwandan genocide, at least, let me ask you this: would you have supported the UN invading the United States to prevent us from attacking Iraq? That would also have been a humanitarian intervention, arguably.

Mar 2019
Portland, OR
Oil as fuel will be obsolete long before we run out of it but I have to laugh at this new approach of conservation of a "precious resource" by leftist on one hand as they attempt to blame it for climate change on tne other. Pick a story and stick with it.
What about both? We humans will be on the planet for another several hundred million years. Who are you to say that oil will become obsolete for any future use? What if we need it for space exploration? Why burn it up over such a tiny time frame of a few hundred years when we have viable alternatives?

CtC

Mar 2019
California
What about both? We humans will be on the planet for another several hundred million years. Who are you to say that oil will become obsolete for any future use? What if we need it for space exploration? Why burn it up over such a tiny time frame of a few hundred years when we have viable alternatives?
The only viable fuel for Space is Nuclear. Rockets can never conquer deep space.