More than 3 in 4 believe MSM reports fake news

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
This comes on the heels of the weekends news that Sinclair Broadcasting had their reporters read scripts about fake news...

A majority of Americans believe that mainstream news outlets report "fake news," according to a new Monmouth University poll. More than three in four Americans said they believe that traditional television and print outlets take part in reporting fake news.

The survey also shows that Americans increasingly feel that fake news is reported by mainstream media outlets. “These findings are troubling, no matter how you define ‘fake news.’ Confidence in an independent fourth estate is a cornerstone of a healthy democracy. Ours appears to be headed for the intensive care unit,” Patrick Murray, director of the independent Monmouth University Polling Institute, said in a statement.

The poll shows that 77 percent of respondents believe that fake news is reported at least occasionally, that is up from 63 percent who said the same last year.

Last week, Sinclair Broadcasting Group made a move to have its anchors warn of alleged bias in other media outlets. The right-leaning media company is pushing its local affiliates to read aloud a promotional campaign that condemns other news outlets for pushing “fake stories.”

http://thehill.com/homenews/media/381225-more-than-3-in-4-believe-traditional-media-outlets-report-fake-news-poll

Reactions: 2 people
Jan 2015
Great State of Texas
This comes on the heels of the weekends news that Sinclair Broadcasting had their reporters read scripts about fake news...

A majority of Americans believe that mainstream news outlets report "fake news," according to a new Monmouth University poll. More than three in four Americans said they believe that traditional television and print outlets take part in reporting fake news.

The survey also shows that Americans increasingly feel that fake news is reported by mainstream media outlets. “These findings are troubling, no matter how you define ‘fake news.’ Confidence in an independent fourth estate is a cornerstone of a healthy democracy. Ours appears to be headed for the intensive care unit,” Patrick Murray, director of the independent Monmouth University Polling Institute, said in a statement.

The poll shows that 77 percent of respondents believe that fake news is reported at least occasionally, that is up from 63 percent who said the same last year.

Last week, Sinclair Broadcasting Group made a move to have its anchors warn of alleged bias in other media outlets. The right-leaning media company is pushing its local affiliates to read aloud a promotional campaign that condemns other news outlets for pushing “fake stories.”

http://thehill.com/homenews/media/381225-more-than-3-in-4-believe-traditional-media-outlets-report-fake-news-poll
Wow ...

That's kind of surprising.

I guess the 1 in 4 that believe the fake news MSM must all be members here on PH :smiley_big_grin:

Reactions: 1 person
Sep 2016
My own world
Yes I believe Sinclair Broadcasting Group reports fake news, they own FOX and a lot of small news outlets as shown in the clip. No wonder Trumpsters are easily fooled.

Reactions: 4 people
Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Yes I believe Sinclair Broadcasting Group reports fake news, they own FOX and a lot of small news outlets as shown in the clip. No wonder Trumpsters are easily fooled.
Sinclair doesnt own FOX, they are independent and own almost 200 stations across the US including CBS and ABC affiliates.

Reactions: 4 people
Jun 2014
United States
That doesnt mean that Sinclair hasnt bought out hundreds of US stations, including other network affiliates. Our local CBS affiliate out of Portland, ME is owned by Sinclair.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_stations_owned_or_operated_by_Sinclair_Broadcast_Group
My only point is that Sinclair Broadcasting need not be "owned by Fox News" in order to be in the same business as is Fox News. Sinclair was running RWNJ talk radio stations long before they began to buy up local television stations. No radio or television station owned by Sinclair Broadcasting is in any sense of the word "independent". Sinclair Broadcasting isn't in the news business. They are in the propaganda business. If you don't believe it, then watch their 200 affiliates read their talking points like robots in the linked video.

Reactions: 2 people