More than 500,000 in California are already without power

Jul 2013
Nashville, TN
The climate of California is no different today than decades ago.
Bullshit, decades ago they didn't have to shut down power grids. They didn't have anywhere near the amount and destructiveness of wild fires. They still had glaciers and snow melt, all their underground aquifers were not drained and not being refilled. Get your head out of the fossil fuel companies ass and see the world as it is, not as they are telling you it is. Objective reality is not kryptonite for the soul, as much as you fear it so.

Jul 2013
Nashville, TN
Except natural gas is coming under fire too. Here we converted all electricity from coal to natural gas. So we are very dependent on it. Yet still a lot of people use wood to heat. People will be forced to do what they have to do. None of this will help anything.
Instead we are ignoring the problem and pretending it doesn't exist, how long do you think that is going to work? Til Florida is under water? The coasts are flooded and Manhattan is surrounded by levees like New Orleans?

Reactions: EnigmaO01
Jul 2013
Nashville, TN
But this isnt really because of the climate. Its because PG&E got the brunt of the blame for the Paradise fires and are doing this to cut responsibility.
So a fake problem caused the power company, they should just be "business as usual" and ignore the risks, gotcha...

Reactions: EnigmaO01
Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Instead we are ignoring the problem and pretending it doesn't exist, how long do you think that is going to work? Til Florida is under water? The coasts are flooded and Manhattan is surrounded by levees like New Orleans?
I hear you, but if we get a recession next year people arent going to care one iota. People down on their luck economically will plummet climate change so far down the list.

Jul 2013
Nashville, TN
I hear you, but if we get a recession next year people arent going to care one iota. People down on their luck economically will plummet climate change so far down the list.
Unless they live in Miami, or other low lying coastal areas or are pounded by increasingly strong and numerous tornadoes, flood, and droughts and start losing crops and fishing grounds and forests and wildlife habitat....then they might think about it for a couple of seconds before going back to business as isual...

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
One thing I dont understand is even if the power is cut to some areas, there still is some power in the lines. So how does this help? Its the power lines causing the issue.

May 2016
california
Sparks and falling branches are the suspects for PGE, the higher the voltage the higher the risk presumably.

May 2019
Backatown, USA
One thing I dont understand is even if the power is cut to some areas, there still is some power in the lines. So how does this help? Its the power lines causing the issue.
Cutting the power completely in areas that have a high risk of falling power lines during the upcoming heavy winds.
Controversial, inconvenient, but it makes sense to me.