More than 500,000 in California are already without power

Sep 2013
On a hill
I just cant even imagine this. Here we get the blizzard every two years or so and are without power for a week or so. Everything grinds to a halt. Nothing open. No food, no work. People literally hunker down with a wood stove and read or play games. Some hunt for food. I cant imagine how a massive state like CA does this? What century are we in???
At least in snow you can keep your frozen food frozen

The us is becoming a third world country.

Sep 2013
On a hill
Explain the increased fires then? It says it all in the title of the link in the OP. Why do you think that is, do you think they haven't been vacuuming the forest as often?
Can’t vacum the forest without power.

Reactions: Libertine
Sep 2012
SoCal
The climate of California is no different today than decades ago.
I've been here, SoCal, for 45 years, and you are wrong. The climate is very different than 'decades ago'. SCE is shutting down here, as well, currently scheduled for Thursday, and there is no wind at this time. We get the Santa Ana winds every year, but no fires to date. We have had constant shut-downs for months and constant price increases too.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
I've been here, SoCal, for 45 years, and you are wrong. The climate is very different than 'decades ago'. SCE is shutting down here, as well, currently scheduled for Thursday, and there is no wind at this time. We get the Santa Ana winds every year, but no fires to date. We have had constant shut-downs for months and constant price increases too.
So are you saying this shutdown is unnecessary? Is PGE just doing this "in case" or to protect themselves?

Libertine

Apr 2015
Katmandu
Explain the increased fires then? It says it all in the title of the link in the OP. Why do you think that is, do you think they haven't been vacuuming the forest as often?
Development resulting form quadrupling the population to 40 million in the last 80 years is the primary culprit.

Sep 2012
SoCal
So are you saying this shutdown is unnecessary? Is PGE just doing this "in case" or to protect themselves?
Yes. PG&E lack of maintenance was the root cause of one major fire last year, and everyone in CA is paying for their negligence. An emergency shut-down in high wind danger zones is expected, but there is currently no high wind in this area and SCE is a different animal. We are not (poorly) served by PG&E here, we are (poorly) served by SCE. In my case, my cost and my usage has doubled since this time last year which is strange as I have no AC and have shut down my second refrigerator, dishwasher, and laundry and replaced all my fans since then ... yet they claim that my usage has doubled. I hate laundromats.

Dec 2014
The Milky Way
Wow, over a million total and this is expected to become a year round event.

More than 513,000 Northern California homes and businesses went dark Wednesday in the first phase of a Public Safety Power Shutoff aimed at curbing wildfire risks amid high winds.

Another 234,000 Pacific Gas and Electric Co. customers will lose power at noon California time, and 42,000 customers in the southernmost areas of the company's reach could also go dark, the company said.

The state is bracing for another severe wildfire "season," although officials say that season has become just about year-round. PG&E ordered a much smaller power cutoff in June involving thousands of customers in the Northern California counties of Napa, Solano and Yolo.

And the leftist Dims want to do to the rest of us what they've done in California.

HayJenn

Jul 2014
CA
Well, it looks like now, that parts of LA, Riverside, San Bernadino, Orange, and San Diego counties might see power outages too :(

You can find the list of potential shutdown by city here

This will cause a lot of havoc if they do decide the danger is enough to shut off power. The only bright side I can see is my city is not listed.