More than 500,000 in California are already without power

HayJenn

Jul 2014
CA
Yes. PG&E lack of maintenance was the root cause of one major fire last year, and everyone in CA is paying for their negligence. An emergency shut-down in high wind danger zones is expected, but there is currently no high wind in this area and SCE is a different animal. We are not (poorly) served by PG&E here, we are (poorly) served by SCE. In my case, my cost and my usage has doubled since this time last year which is strange as I have no AC and have shut down my second refrigerator, dishwasher, and laundry and replaced all my fans since then ... yet they claim that my usage has doubled. I hate laundromats.

I wonder why your cost has doubled???? I have not experienced that. Sorry, that really sucks!!

Reactions: labrea
Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Well, it looks like now, that parts of LA, Riverside, San Bernadino, Orange, and San Diego counties might see power outages too :(

You can find the list of potential shutdown by city here

This will cause a lot of havoc if they do decide the danger is enough to shut off power. The only bright side I can see is my city is not listed.
My daughter had said a few days ago if these outages go through it could affect their west coast plant where they make medical devices. She said they had had meetings about shortages from this. I will have to ask her what happened.

Sep 2012
SoCal
Well, it looks like now, that parts of LA, Riverside, San Bernadino, Orange, and San Diego counties might see power outages too :(

You can find the list of potential shutdown by city here

This will cause a lot of havoc if they do decide the danger is enough to shut off power. The only bright side I can see is my city is not listed.
I'm in Ventura County. Got my email notice yesterday that an outage is scheduled here for Thursday with a caveat that it may be sooner or later. There isn't even a breeze blowing here, and we have continual unscheduled shut-downs.

Reactions: Davocrat
May 2019
The Wine Country
We were scheduled to go dark at midnight.

I went outside to watch the world go dark.

At 12:15, I went back inside to turn on the lights.

Very relieved.

And yes, California's climate has changed over the past fifty years.

No matter what some 'bot might keep parroting.

May 2016
california
Everybody agreed to shut down power to prevent fires, all they can do now is gripe and try and get a generator, but it has to be California compliant for air quality standards.