Most Veterans Say Iraq, Afghanistan Wars Weren't Worth It: Pew Report

Jul 2011
NYC/Москва

A majority of veterans taking part in a new research study says that the cost and burden of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan outweigh any successes or progress made in either conflict.

A Pew Research Center report published Wednesday states that 64% -- or almost two-thirds -- of veterans polled in a new survey said the Iraq war "was not worth fighting," and 58% said the same about the war in Afghanistan.

*******************************************************************************************************************************************

As a Fellow Veteran I agree, they were not worth it. We don't have the stomach to conduct a real war, we put our troops in unneeded danger and restricted them. All for what? Then our country and our leaders who send troops to war don't take care of them when they come home maimend and injured. What gain did these wars of choices give us. Today, so many veterans I know feel the same way.

Jul 2011
Memphis, Tn.

A majority of veterans taking part in a new research study says that the cost and burden of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan outweigh any successes or progress made in either conflict.

A Pew Research Center report published Wednesday states that 64% -- or almost two-thirds -- of veterans polled in a new survey said the Iraq war "was not worth fighting," and 58% said the same about the war in Afghanistan.

*******************************************************************************************************************************************

As a Fellow Veteran I agree, they were not worth it. We don't have the stomach to conduct a real war, we put our troops in unneeded danger and restricted them. All for what? Then our country and our leaders who send troops to war don't take care of them when they come home maimend and injured. What gain did these wars of choices give us. Today, so many veterans I know feel the same way.

Yep, pretty fucking obvious...

Jul 2015
Florida
I don't care if one enters the military by tradition, commitment, desperation or because they wanted some extra monthly income and ended up in BUSH's sorry ass war of CHOICE. They lied used cooked INTEL and lied some more. You can't keep people stupid--especially the ones that were there. NO matter how much REPUBLICAN bullshit their revisionist LIARS throw at its utter unmitigated failure.

Tedminator

Former Staff
Jun 2010
South Florida

The invasion of Afghanistan would have been tolerable by itself since thats a NATO mission, but the US decision to invade Iraq was a strategic blunder of historic proportions thats costing the USA dearly. Thats a clusterfuck which ranks up there with giving Vietnam back to the French at the end of ww2 rather than supporting the bid for independence by the Vietnamese.

Dec 2018
Florida

I agree that it wasn’t worth it. We didn’t do what we should have done. Killed every member of al quada and then leave.

The proper American military conduct should be a limited isolationist concept. We’d support allies in some general ways (arms deals, cross train, naval deployment and shipping route protection). Cover warfare would be important. Similar to Israel. But when the bad guys do something like 9/11, we just kill them all. Why we ever bothered to stay? I don’t know.

Dec 2018
Florida
I don't care if one enters the military by tradition, commitment, desperation or because they wanted some extra monthly income and ended up in BUSH's sorry ass war of CHOICE. They lied used cooked INTEL and lied some more. You can't keep people stupid--especially the ones that were there. NO matter how much REPUBLICAN bullshit their revisionist LIARS throw at its utter unmitigated failure.
At this point? I wouldn’t just blame the republicans. Democrats were too pussy to pull us out with 8 years of Obama. How did they manage to cock that up? I’m still baffled how we have troops there.

The crossroads of empires should just be left at this point.