Mulvaney throws a "Trumptrum" in Senate committee hearing

Sep 2012
SoCal
The guy who wants to shut down the CFPB is in the director's chair at the CFPB...no conflict of interest there...just another tRump evil minion.

Defiant Mulvaney tells Senate he doesn't have to talk to them, Elizabeth Warren gives him an earful
Mick Mulvaney, director of the Office of Management and Budget and squatter in the director's chair at the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, has really been feeling his oats since he's gotten all the jobs in the Trump administration. That includes winning a showdown with Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin in which Mulvaney elbowed his way into writing the regulations to go with the Republican tax cut law. Mulvaney has been on a total power grab, and feels like he's king of the hill now, as his testimony Thursday in an oversight hearing for the CFPB attests.

"While I have to be here by statute, I don't think I have to answer your questions," Mulvaney told the Senate Banking, Housing and Urban Affairs Committee. "If you take a look at the actual statute that requires me to be here, it says that I 'shall appear' before the Committee on Banking, Housing and Urban Affairs of the Senate. And I'm here and I'm happy to do it."

He was clearly not happy about doing it and he was a dick throughout. So it was quite satisfying to watch Sen. Elizabeth Warren of Massachusetts dish it out. (Watch video of the exchange below the fold.)

...MORE...

Crusher

Former Staff
Aug 2011
Heaven Above
Hilarious! That entity should have never been created with no oversight. He is trying to make a point, because he warned Congress before they created it, not to do it. But, the Democrats insisted! They thought Hillary Clinton was going to win the election and wanted that power.

Sep 2016
My own world
She made a good point that if it weren’t for the agency the cases they settled would never have been delt with. Why does he hate the little guy?

Singularity

Former Staff
Oct 2009
Kansas
If Mulvaney doesn't want to answer questions, that's fine, there is a separation of powers for a reason.

But he should be wary that his allies are not likely to retain total control of Congress forever, and even the GOP may not always be friendly to him.

It's not typically in an executive agency's best interest to give Congress the finger. Contempt charges should be a last resort, but there are other considerations.