Murder and how to Reduce it

Dec 2018
Florida
I have made a few observations recently and I’m currently pulling data for myself. Just learning about the topic. Specifically the statistics. So I will link a few sources I’ve pulled from. Now. I know that it may seem like I’m picking on NYC, but I do believe that one of our biggest issues are certain areas raise or murder rates. And if we target certain cities (the ones with the most murders), we would see a drastic reduction in murder.

Now. Just some interesting points. During the time period? NYC experienced major reductions in corruption with LE, Compustat was introduced, there was Urban Renewal going on, and a host of factors that really changed their landscape. So with that in mind, what do you think we can do? Do you think that a city by city approach is something plausible?

Rate of Murder US:
Homicide Rate (per 100,000), 1950–2014

NYC Murders:
Crime in New York City - Wikipedia

US Total Murders:
United States Crime Rates 1960 - 2017

5% of counties:
Most murders occurred in 5 percent of counties, says study

Last edited:
Dec 2018
Florida
Besides dealing with certain cities/counties that consistently increase murder numbers? I do think we need to examine WHO and WHY murders are committed, and who is being murdered. It has been done plenty. I know. But I believe I’ve seen information that large numbers of victims have criminal histories. I don’t have any information on that, but if it is the case? It certainly may be an indicator on things that could be done better.

Oct 2014
C-A-N-A-D-A-Eh
People don't like to hear it because it is simple and demands responsibility.

1 - Get into a relationship
2 - stick with that person
3 - Don't abuse any children that come from that relationship.

That will reduce murder, rape, arson, among a list of other crimes drastically. (Not statistically valid, but up to 80% reduction)

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
People don't like to hear it because it is simple and demands responsibility.

1 - Get into a relationship
2 - stick with that person
3 - Don't abuse any children that come from that relationship.

That will reduce murder, rape, arson, among a list of other crimes drastically. (Not statistically valid, but up to 80% reduction)
Based on what? People started leaving relationships precisely because of abuse, in a society when people were expected to put up with the abuse and were punished for defending themselves.* Saying "do not abuse your S.O. or the children" does not prevent domestic abuse any more than saying "do not murder, or rape, or [any other crime]."

* See what @The Man has to say about how this works in Russia.

Dec 2018
Florida
Based on what? People started leaving relationships precisely because of abuse, in a society when people were expected to put up with the abuse and were punished for defending themselves.* Saying "do not abuse your S.O. or the children" does not prevent domestic abuse any more than saying "do not murder, or rape, or [any other crime]."

Well the idea is that those things could in an idealistic world of course. That gives an idea of who and why in many cases. But deeper than that?

I’d say making sure that people have outlets and mobility out of shitty situations is a concept you are touching on.

Oct 2014
C-A-N-A-D-A-Eh

Based on the statistics.
Worst : Single parent raised child.
Bad: Abused child

This isn't about current issues, this is about eliminating the major root cause (there are others) to reduce if not eliminate the issue into the future.

Dec 2018
Florida
Based on the statistics.
Worst : Single parent raised child.
Bad: Abused child

This isn't about current issues, this is about eliminating the major root cause (there are others) to reduce if not eliminate the issue into the future.
But what would be a realistic approach to dealing with major root causes? Obviously New York City was able to handle it.