Murder and how to Reduce it

Dec 2015
SoCal
This is the graphed out numbers from the above statistics from 1980-2000. NY total number of murders on the left and US rate of murder on the right.
I sure hope you manage to fit poverty into any calculation you make since, frankly, poverty is perhaps the greatest indicator of the propensity to be either victim of violent crime or perpetrator of said violent crime.

Let us know how it goes!

Oct 2014
C-A-N-A-D-A-Eh
Better background checks for gun purchases would be a start, with a national database.
Then you just shift the tool of murder from guns to something other than guns.

Much more effective to address the issues that lead people to murder in the first place.

Dec 2015
SoCal
That peak, that represents when laws reducing exposure to lead was introduced...
I think that actually has something to do with the general fall in violent crime, but exposure to lead is on the wane, so further reductions in violent crime will have to come from somewhere else.

Well done!

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
Based on what? People started leaving relationships precisely because of abuse, in a society when people were expected to put up with the abuse and were punished for defending themselves.* Saying "do not abuse your S.O. or the children" does not prevent domestic abuse any more than saying "do not murder, or rape, or [any other crime]."

* See what @The Man has to say about how this works in Russia.
The problem over there is that the authorities seem to essentially say precisely the opposite, when domestic battery is decriminalized; and when police, basically, tell women who complain of husband/boyfriend hitting them to come back when they have, at least, a broken bone (because, to them, investigating anything less is essentially a waste of their time and resources, in their view)...

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
Based on the statistics.
Worst : Single parent raised child.
Bad: Abused child
Statistics are not very useful, here. You are comparing an abusive household to a non-abusive one. Is a child better off in a non-abusive single-parent household than in an abusive dual-parent household? If the latter, you are then arguing the child is better off being abused than not - which is exactly what you are saying when you say a single-parent household is "worst" while abused child is merely "bad."

Not to mention that you are saying a child is better off in a household where one parent is abusing the other, which is to say that the abused parent has a duty to keep being abused for the sake of the child.

Dec 2018
Florida
I sure hope you manage to fit poverty into any calculation you make since, frankly, poverty is perhaps the greatest indicator of the propensity to be either victim of violent crime or perpetrator of said violent crime.

Let us know how it goes!
Of course. I think that was actually a big deal with NYC. They saw Growing economic success in their city as well.

HCProf

Sep 2014
USA
I can't speak for NYC but locally within the Cleveland city limits, we are seeing a increase of violent crime and gun violence. Shooting occur every day here along with violent robberies and car jacking or theft. I think our problem is drugs and the opioid issue. There are rival gangs competing for business and innocent people get caught in the cross fire including children. It doesn't help that LE is not responding to these areas like they used to because of LE problems in the past and the department is still under DOJ control. It is basically, LE is damned if they do or damned if they don't. Rumor has it, we don't have enough LE at this point to cover all the red zones or high crime areas....so they are basically left to rot.