Murkowski Declares Victory, Miller Still Refuses to Concede

Singularity

Oct 2009
Kansas
http://www.cnn.com/2010/POLITICS/11/17/alaska.senate.race/index.html?hpt=T1

Lisa Murkowski of Alaska Wednesday declared victory over fellow Republican Joe Miller in the nation's last Senate race, saying the result of her write-in candidacy was a "miracle."
"Against all odds, we as Alaskans together made history," Murkowski told cheering supporters in Anchorage.
If she prevails in a potential challenge, Murkowski would become the second person to ever win a write-in bid for the U.S. Senate.
Murkowski's statement was the climax in the state's bitter and prolonged Senate battle. It was essentially a triumphant declaration of beating back a three-pronged attack: from Miller, from the Tea Party Express, and from Sarah Palin.
"We've said all along, we'll wait for the votes to be counted," Murkowski Campaign Manager Kevin Sweeney told CNN.
"By any standard, this was a clear victory. This was a whuppin'," Sweeney added.
Currently, Alaska's Division of Elections is counting 100,868 votes for Murkowski versus 90,448 for Miller. By that count, Murkowski leads by 10,420.
However, 8,153 of Murkowski's votes have been contested by the Miller campaign. If, as Miller's side would like, all of those contested votes are thrown out -- an almost impossible scenario to many election and legal observers -- Murkowski would still win the race with the uncontested votes alone.
By 2012 the Tea Party will have run out of steam, and it will have started here. By any rational definition, Murkowski is a conservative, or at the very least heavily leaning right of center, politician. And the extremists determined that wasn't good enough. Guess what guys, when you do that, you are usually going to lose. This election has a few aberrations but it rings true here nonetheless. When the chips are down, the voters will usually balk at people like Joe Miller. That's just how it works... otherwise, 100,000 Alaskans wouldn't have gone to the trouble of writing in a name to keep him out of office.

Apr 2010
By any rational definition, Murkowski is a conservative, or at the very least heavily leaning right of center, politician. And the extremists determined that wasn't good enough.
I didn't follow the Alaska primaries, did you?
Was Miller chosen over Murkowski because of something in particular? Was the primary count close?

When the chips are down, the voters will usually balk at people like Joe Miller.
That's just how it works... otherwise, 100,000 Alaskans wouldn't have gone to the trouble of writing in a name to keep him out of office.
If this is a reference to his "October surprise", I agree.

Apr 2010
btw -
he lambasted her for not conceding the primary, he should now put his money where his mouth is and concede.

Singularity

Oct 2009
Kansas
gypzy said:
I didn't follow the Alaska primaries, did you?
Was Miller chosen over Murkowski because of something in particular? Was the primary count close?
Palin rallied the Tea Party behind Miller and they followed her word that Murkowski wasn't conservative enough for Alaska. It was really about the personal feud between Palin and Murkowski which stems from Palin's defeat of Murkowski's father in the 2006 Alaska Gubernatorial Primary.

The primary itself was very close, but only because primaries have such low turnouts. Miller came out of nowhere with Palin's support with just enough votes to win entirely on the back of the Tea Party. This is exactly how Mike Castle lost in Delaware.

gypzy said:
If this is a reference to his "October surprise", I agree.
The "October Surprise", i.e. the revelation of Miller's past as an attorney, didn't turn out to have very much impact I think. What was huge was Miller's illegal handcuffing and detainment (essentially kidnapping) of the editor for the Alaska Dispatch for asking questions at a public town hall. Tacked on to this problematic incident was the revelation that Miller was using Active Duty Army troops as his security without permission from the Army.

Even that though couldn't have been enough alone, Murkowski just organized a brilliantly effective campaign.

Dec 2010
Southington Connecticut
btw -
he lambasted her for not conceding the primary, he should now put his money where his mouth is and concede.
the problem is that Baggers do not usually practice what they spit out... it goes back to basics Baggers run their mouths about "taking our country back" but they cannot tell you who took it...
. it 's a fact of BAGGER'S BS

Apr 2010
the problem is that Baggers do not usually practice what they spit out... it goes back to basics Baggers run their moutyhs about "taking our country back" but they cannot tell you who took it...
. it S 'a fact of BAGGER'S BS
I find it hard to believe that any TEA partier cannot tell you that the movement believes that Progressives (both left and right) had taken over the govt.

however, it was another good excuse for pejoratives, sexual innuendo, poor spelling and bad grammar, no?

Dec 2010
Southington Connecticut
I find it hard to believe that any TEA partier cannot tell you that the movement believes that Progressives (both left and right) had taken over the govt.

however, it was another good excuse for pejoratives, sexual innuendo, poor spelling and bad grammar, no?
What are you talking about? There is nothing wrong with my Grandma except that she it dead. lol