Murtha: President's Iraq war plan requires draft

M

michaelr

Michael Roston
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Published: Wednesday April 18, 2007[/FONT][/FONT]

Rep. John Murtha, a veteran of the U.S. Marines who served in the Korean and Vietnam Wars, said that President George W. Bush cannot continue to carry out his current war plans in Iraq without starting a draft.
"The president asks the impossible and the burden continues to fall on the very few. The pressure must be taken off the current force and their families who have already sacrificed so much," said Murtha today to the Defense Appropriations subcommittee, which he chairs. "If the President insists on continuing the current operational tempo and policy, then he should call for a military draft. That is the responsible thing to do.”
Murtha's full statement, which was sent to RAW STORY, is provided below.
Murtha calls for responsibility on the part of the President

WASHINGTON, D.C. -- Congressman John P. Murtha, Chairman of the House Appropriations Subcommittee on Defense, issued the following remarks today while discussing Army personnel issues:
“I just returned from visiting three major Army bases: Ft. Hood, Ft. Stewart and Ft. Bragg.
“What I found was that the President’s policy has forced the military to break its own rotation and deployment guidelines. Our forces have had to accelerate training, they have had to train on inadequate and insufficient equipment, and percentages have been deployed a third and fourth time.
“I discussed the length of deployments with a group of commanders who told me that more than nine months deployed in theater was harmful to them and their families. They were not complaining; rather they candidly acknowledged that after a certain amount of time, professional skills begin to diminish and extended tours could very well push soldiers and leaders beyond what is reasonable.
“I found a need for counseling for our military children and was told that the truancy rate is increasing while their academic performance is declining. A first sergeant commented, “We love being soldiers but we are also people with families and children. When we’re not soldiers we’re soccer coaches, Cub Scout leaders, and we’re involved in our local P.T.A.” Fifteen months from home significantly impacts the military family. Another soldier who had already served three tours said, “I just can’t bear to tell my kids that I am being deployed again and that my tour will be extended beyond a year.”
“Our Army will do what is asked of them, but it is unconscionable to ask the same men and women, who have deployed three or four times and who have already served a year in intensive combat, to now extend their time in theater for an additional three months. As one soldier put it, “after six months in Iraq, every day is another Groundhog Day.”
“Our military has done a tremendous job with what has been asked of them. They have juggled and balanced with what they have, but what they have is not enough. The president asks the impossible and the burden continues to fall on the very few. The pressure must be taken off the current force and their families who have already sacrificed so much. If the President insists on continuing the current operational tempo and policy, then he should call for a military draft. That is the responsible thing to do.”

M

merjoem32

I imagine that a draft would be met with a lot of opposition as many people seem to be against the escalation of the war.

L

Latherty

Its a clear indication that the "surge" can only be temporary, and a second front probably impossible to open. Iran will be delighted to be reading this....

D

Dichtonomy of Hope

Dont be that suprised if Bush at least tries to push for it. Hes only got another good year and a half to save his presidency in the eyes of historians and the way the war is going, a draft seems like the right desicion militarily to "win" and win fast. Of course, historians would just laugh at his ass, because america would never allow the draft to come back

L

Latherty

Dont be that suprised if Bush at least tries to push for it. Hes only got another good year and a half to save his presidency in the eyes of historians and the way the war is going, a draft seems like the right desicion militarily to "win" and win fast. Of course, historians would just laugh at his ass, because america would never allow the draft to come back
I think I would fall off my chair in shock if Bush tried it, and thereby break my foot so as to be unfit for service... except maybe as a pilot in the National Guard...

H

Horhey

If there was a draft oposition to the war would dramatically increase. People that supported the war would all of a sudden have a change of heart now that they might actually have to fight and die in a war that they primarily supported really only becouse they support Bush. Many hipocrits and cowards would be exposed.

On Hardball, Chris Matthews exposed many Iraq war supporting hipocrits sitting in the audiance during an interview with John Mcain.

ISU Students stand up for war-sit down when asked to fight

On Hardball yesterday, Chris Matthews asked Iowa Students who planned on military career. Only a handful stood up and most of them were ROTC. Then he asked who supported the Iraq war and a whole bunch more stood up. When he asked how many of those who supported the war intended to fight for it most of them sat back down. The few that stayed standing had the usual excuses.

YouTube - ISU Students stand up for war-sit down when asked to fight

S

sid2112

Yes! Institute the draft and get unachieving young men into a place that will teach them disipline and honor. It's amazing how war and military life matures you. It worked for me!

L

Latherty

Yes! Institute the draft and get unachieving young men into a place that will teach them disipline and honor. It's amazing how war and military life matures you. It worked for me!
And your not dead, either. Good for you. Personally I'll take the slower but less risky road to maturity.

S

sid2112

And your not dead, either. Good for you. Personally I'll take the slower but less risky road to maturity.
I fought in the first Gulf war and in Bosnia. It was hard, dangerous, and sobering. Before I joined up I was a LOSER! After I got shaped up a bit and taught how to act with honor and respect I grew into the intellectual giant before you. The military has a program in place (boot camp) that can take a snotty little shit like I was and turn them into men.